Long list of buggy gameplay, need to confirm it's not my PC

KaiserbowKaiserbow Brisbane, Australia Join Date: 2017-04-23 Member: 229866Members
Hi folks and Devs,

Just want to report some problems I've been having with the game as it is. I understand the game is still Alpha and these bugs have all inidividually been experienced, but I seem to be having all of them at once in any one game. Not massively gamebreaking but when all of these are happening at once, it makes it hard to enjoy the game.

Version:
(Steam) Stable Build, Current Infected Update (Not sure of exact number, game is currently uninstalled)

Description:
- Creature sounds randomly playing during intro cinematic, gameplay and loading screen. This is true for sounds that don't belong, such as hearing Gasopod's when in the Blood Grass Zone.
- After visiting the Aurora, the drive core repair and prawn bay music interrupt any biome music, and cut out halfway through, resuming the biome music.
- Creatures spawning where they should definitely not be, such as Gasopods near the Aurora and Crabsnakes all the way near the surface of Safe Shallows
- Many creatures being able to swim through the ground, Shuttlebugs and Reapers mainly
- Some creatures swimming in place, full animations but not moving
- Some normal sounds like Seamoth acceleration and underwater pressure rumbling not playing properly until a new section of the land is loaded in
- Crashfish exploding in the distance with zero player interaction or cause (not sure if intended)
- Crashfish shooting into the ground, exploding some distance away
- Gasopods spamming their algae balls even when not loaded in, to the point where there are at least 50+ in an area where a Gasopod is loaded, causing massive frame drops
- A lot of creatures, especially Gasopods, suddenly shooting forward when loaded in, as if they were loaded in before the ground and are shot forward from getting stuck in the landscape

Reproduction Steps:
Difficult to try and recreate all of these, but I have found that they persist even after a clean uninstall, trawling my PC for anything Subnautica or Unknown Worlds related, rebooting and then reinstalling. Hard to say whether it is something on my PC or just the state of the game in it's Alpha.

Pictures or Video:
None yet, posted this after an uninstall

Dxdiag log can be found here:
https://pastebin.com/qqmpZQs0

Output Log can be found here:
None yet, posted this after an uninstall

Again, if these are things I need to expect until further development, please tell me. I'm just unsure at the moment whether it's a grin and bear until it's fixed, or if it's a genuine problem with my PC. I am available to provide further logs, information or, if needed, some evidence as well.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    edited April 2017
    A few of those things are bugs... but they're heavily exaggerated and accompanied by strange behaviors that shouldn't be happening.

The only thing that comes to mind is outdated drivers. I won't embarrass myself by sharing my computer specs, but they're definitely much lower than yours and the only issue I have is fish swimming into loaded-in ground, which is a common bug.
  • KaiserbowKaiserbow Brisbane, Australia Join Date: 2017-04-23 Member: 229866Members
    Understood, I have yet to see a YouTuber have a few of the issues I do. Drivers are no issues as far as I'm aware, I used DriverBooster and Windows Update to make sure that wasn't the case. Could it be a case of problem drivers?

Out of curiosity, which ones don't sound right?
    edited April 2017
    Well, the game streams a lot of information in constantly so it relies quite a bit on your hard drive, your memory, and to a degree your CPU. Since most of your troubles are related to slow streaming, that'd imply one of those three might have an issue.

The crash fish exploding on their own and the gasopods spamming is evidence to AI hiccups, but I'm honestly not sure how or where that'd manifest. It could be a side effect of slow streaming, or it could be a direct side effect of a CPU problem.

Since your hardware's pretty up to date the game should be running much better than it does for me, but I'm also not experiencing those problems. This implies that the driver software between the game and your hardware might be mishandling instructions from the game.

I wish I could be more specific, but things get so complex there are numerous places things can go wrong, you know ;P
  • KaiserbowKaiserbow Brisbane, Australia Join Date: 2017-04-23 Member: 229866Members
    Yeah, I get where you're coming from :smile: It's near impossible to diagnose a PC problem when you don't have immediate access to it or details about it. For infos sake, though, I'll copy a Speccy report of my PC specs into a pastebin here:

https://pastebin.com/wuB0Pjxb

Although I've never really had any issues with games on this rig, I fully understand that until the wrap-up optimisation is done on the game, there's gonna be problems with different rigs, especially with the many variations of specifications. Just wish I could find out why my game is being so......unreliable.

My CPU and RAM haven't been upgraded since I built this puppy back in 2014, but at the time they were very above average parts. I have tested this on both my HDD, which was from the same era, and my SSD, which is in the last year but also has my OS on it.
    Have you disabled the Intel HD Graphics in Device Manager? It'll be under Display Adapters if you're unfamiliar with that.
    Not yet, I'll do so and reboot now.
    Any other tips or things I should try?

Out of curiosity, can having vcard and integrated both enabled cause issues?
    edited April 2017
    Sorry for the late reply, it was past midnight and I had to sleep. I can't think of any other tips aside from directing you to check some of the dedicated computer help Reddits to seek advice if the video card thing doesn't work.

Also when you have two display adapters to choose from, a game can accidentally select the lesser of the two through a seemingly-arbitrary method. I don't know if that could be causing your problem here or not, but unless your video card suddenly quits you can safely disable the integrated adapter to get that out of the equation. Honestly it's mostly just a problem with laptops instead of desktops, since laptops are set up to primarily use the integrated adapter over the dedicated GPU because of power draw.

That said if disabling it doesn't help, then go ahead and re-enable it so that in the off chance your video card quits working tomorrow, your motherboard can fall back to the integrated adapter and still connect to your monitor ;)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Try putting the power profile to high performance (start > search for power plan)

Also, always run Subnautica from SSD if you can. Huge difference, until they get things optimized anyways.
    I definitely notice better performance on an SSD, and for sure I've got a high performance plan for my power. I'm looking forward to the next update to see if my issues are in this build only or if it's something on my end.
  • mikeloevenmikeloeven Join Date: 2017-04-14 Member: 229623Members
    edited April 2017
    I actually can confirm creatures being able to swim through the ground just the other day I actually lost my prawn because the Sea Dragon cliped through the ground while fighting me and dropped the suit into the abyss below the map geometry. Needless to say I spawned everything back in with the debug menu and felt absolutely no guilt because creatures are not supposed to be able to knock you out of the map
  • AlecCorreaAlecCorrea Brasil Join Date: 2017-03-08 Member: 228747Members
    Ola Divers !!!

I would like to know when there will be new updates for XBox One.
    I have followed the evolution of the game through Youtube and it is very cool, but for us that have XBox we have nothing, the last update was SAVE / LOAD and corrected the problem of loading the game, but I still have difficulties in saving.

I have to save the game 3 to 5 times in a row to really be saved.
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    Sennera wrote: »
    - Gasopods spamming their algae balls even when not loaded in, to the point where there are at least 50+ in an area where a Gasopod is loaded, causing massive frame drops.

I literally had to delete my entire first save do to this glitch. I think a total of 200 spawned for me.