Sunbeam diving?

KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
Would be nice if instead of scattering into two thousend pieces, the Sunbeam would get holed by the ray and then fall down, for it to be explorable once destroyed. there could still be explosion effects ^_^

Comments

• jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
  • SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    edited April 2017
    Right now it seems like they're going for the obliteration thing. I'm sure the devs would've loved to make the Sunbeam wreck explorable, but dynamically adding it to an in-progress game would probably be a serious task with how the game's code works. I don't think they could pull it off without a couple months of dedicated work at least. :(
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    would still be amazing to navigate the oceanfloor, find another wreck and realize its the sunbeam. it would blow every explorers mind.
    Kostriktor wrote: »
    would still be amazing to navigate the oceanfloor, find another wreck and realize its the sunbeam. it would blow every explorers mind.

I agree. I don't really want to derail this topic, but since we're talking about exploration... I've always thought it'd be cool if an abandoned, dilapidated cyclops was hidden someplace ;D
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members
    Since all these ships, Degasi, Aurora and Sunbeam are so called Miningvessels, im sure they are all equipped with PRAWNs, so we should definitely find some. Maybe they "survived" the explosion in the ship and got catapulted far in the dunes
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    The dunes is on the other side of the map from he mountain island. The sunbeam is a cargo ship which is a very small ship. So it wouldn't be able to survive the laser due to how much damage the Aurora took. It wouldn't make sense. Look at scifiwriterguy's comment. They explain this.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    If the Degasi, another six-seater, can by lore remain intact enough for its surviving crew to pick it apart, so can the Sunbeam.

The counter-argument is squarely on the huge amount of effort it'd take to animate the fall of the Sunbeam, because the player can be anywhere on the map during the ship's flight in. If the player'd be locked on the island, the wreck could simply be spawned in, but such is not the case. Alternatively, it'd have to crash down on a spot that the player is guaranteed (give or take people who force themselves through events out of order) not to be able to enter prior so it can spawn in/secretly always be there. A reverse island + high level precursor security could work, but then we're talking about a lot more work than just the Sunbeam already.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    If the Degasi, another six-seater, can by lore remain intact enough for its surviving crew to pick it apart, so can the Sunbeam.

But DID it remain intact? Or did they just gather up a shitton of Ship Wreckage pieces?
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »

But DID it remain intact? Or did they just gather up a shitton of Ship Wreckage pieces?

"We salvaged the Degasi wreck down to its barebones and built this habitat from the scrap."

Doesn't sound like mere wreckage to me. Of course, I don't know what rewrites UWE is planning, but as is six-seaters don't have to get obliterated when hit.
    edited April 2017
    DrownedOut makes an excellent point and I'm willing to go from 'nope' to 'neutral' on the question of 'Could the Sunbeam stay intact?'

All that's left, again as DrownedOut points out, is technical. Right now the only map change Subnautica does is the Aurora's explosion, and that's really just smoke and mirrors to hide the fact that the Aurora's explorable wreckage is there from the start. The problem with spawning in the Sunbeam wreck someplace sensible off in the distance, is seamlessly replacing a few chunks of the seafloor and the space above that seafloor with the Sunbeam's wreckage and collateral damage.

Worst case, a player would've built their base there already and the modules would clip through everything. How could they accommodate all the possibilities of 2 weeks in-game time?

Again I'm sure the devs would've loved to do an explorable Sunbeam wreck, but they just can't add wrecks dynamically like that. Instead they've been doing Aurora wreckage and abandoned/ancient seabases which are sensibly mapped in from the start, and can scratch that exploration itch well.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Sunbeam vs Degasi: Degasi was probably not coming in for a landing, it may have also had time to try to avoid the beam -- remember, the pilot for the Sunbeam had only attempted landings in an academy simulator, and the captain did have warning on his sensors of some "red spike" from the planet, so anyone more on-guard and well-trained (mercs?) would have had a shot at doing something, especially if they were't at point-blank range to the source of the energy.

Here's one more thing for you to consider: the Aurora may have had a sustained blase, or a second blast, who knows. You had enough time for the ship and/or its captain to detect critical damage to its systems, sound the abandon ship, and have a decent amount of people make it to lifepods, before it went down in the explosion you saw from your lifepod viewport.
    edited April 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Sunbeam vs Degasi: Degasi was probably not coming in for a landing, it may have also had time to try to avoid the beam -- remember, the pilot for the Sunbeam had only attempted landings in an academy simulator, and the captain did have warning on his sensors of some "red spike" from the planet, so anyone more on-guard and well-trained (mercs?) would have had a shot at doing something, especially if they were't at point-blank range to the source of the energy.

We "know" the only mercenary aboard was Maida. Paal refers to the others as his entourage and that generally does not include mercenaries. Not to mention he others Maida in the same file, which'd be odd if there was another merc. A personal pilot is possible, though.

My point isn't so much that the Sunbeam has to still be significantly intact as that it is that there's no argument the Sunbeam has to have been obliterated.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    But we're still talking about two different ships. If you compare two vehicles of the same rough class, there are going to be differences. This sedan is safe, this one isn't.

So the Degasi was hit in such a way and was built in such a way that allowed it to more-or-less survive to crash. Okay, it's a '52 Ford, built like a tank. The Sunbeam was incinerated with one shot - it's a Pinto, so it blew up. Only if we were comparing two identical ships on identical flight paths could we say both should have survived or should have been atomized.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I mean yeah, unless they change the cutscene... There's no body hitting the sea. The Sunbeam kinda sorta explodes. Into scrap and pieces.