Deleted Game! HELP!!!

cichellotcichellot Las Vegas Join Date: 2017-03-21 Member: 229093Members
So I was having trouble starting the game it was saying "Missing File Privileges" in steam so it couldn't update and wouldn't start. I looked online for the missing file privileges and mainly what I saw was to uninstall and reinstall steam. I usually look up stuff before doing anything drastic but this time I didn't and it deleted Subnautica and my save game!!!! I've been playing so much for the past 4 days and I really don't want to restart. Is there any way to get my save game back?? Please help!!

Comments

• DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Are your save files in the SN folder gone too? Because if not you could try starting a new game and CP'ing an old save file over the newly created one.

If there's no solution, at least there'll be an update in two weeks (plans are the 28th, but I don't believe UWE'll make it) and it's always good to start afresh after one anyway.
  • cichellotcichellot Las Vegas Join Date: 2017-03-21 Member: 229093Members
    Sorry very new to this. CP'ing? And where would my save game files be because it seems like everything is there but when I reinstalled steam I had to create a new folder and I started up SN and my save game wasn't there?
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Copy-pasting. Sorry for not being clear there.

So, what I'm saying you could try is find your Steam map - its location depends where you installed it, and then follow -> steamapps -> common -> subnautica -> SNAppdata -> SavedGames -> your save game file. Which one it is you have to work out on your own based on date.

Now, if you've got a fresh new save file that can be accessed in the game, copy (not cut) all the contents of your old file and paste them over all the contents in the new file. Then try to start up that "new" save and see if it gives you your stuff back.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2017
    If you don't have a new save folder, that's fine, just make one. call it slot0000 and put it in SNAppData \ SavedGames (make that folder if it doesn't exist) Then paste your old save game into there (make sure you don't do something like pasting slot0000 into the new slot0000, which would make slot0000 \ slot0000)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    File recovery software might help as well if it's "gone"

Active file recovery is neat
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    File recovery software might help as well if it's "gone"

Active file recovery is neat

You talking about Active @Undelete? Yeah, that and / or Piriform Recuva. (I've used both)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2017
    Active partition recovery, small mistake. Undelete is part of that software pack I think, as is file recovery. Or at least in the DOS bootdisk version there is an "UNDELETE" option :D

It has DOS and custom Windows bootdisks and a simple Windows application as well. I finally was able to rescue ~99% of files on my 2TB drive, a drive which can't even even start up up anymore and has various corrupted sectors and if I slap it into the PC it crashes my default Windows 7. The bootdisks in there are pretty neat.

Undeleting a "deleted" save file would be childplays for this piece of kit. I mean it's not really gone anyway, just the reference to the files have been deleted, with those sectors now allowed to be overwritten at any given time if the HDD runs out of space or fancies those sectors :tongue:
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Active partition recovery, small mistake. Undelete is part of that software pack I think, as is file recovery. Or at least in the DOS bootdisk version there is an "UNDELETE" option :D

It has DOS and custom Windows bootdisks and a simple Windows application as well. I finally was able to rescue ~99% of files on my 2TB drive, a drive which can't even even start up up anymore and has various corrupted sectors and if I slap it into the PC it crashes my default Windows 7. The bootdisks in there are pretty neat.

Undeleting a "deleted" save file would be childplays for this piece of kit. I mean it's not really gone anyway, just the reference to the files have been deleted, with those sectors now allowed to be overwritten at any given time if the HDD runs out of space or fancies those sectors :tongue:

SSDs are worse... they actively seek out unused sectors to zero them (TRIM command). Was trying to help @ApoNono with a hardcore save (he died due to falling through the map) and he could only recover basically a blank slate from the saved game files. Found these in my searchings on the topic (of recovery on SSDs):
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27803348-hard-drive-cant-recover-deleted-files-from-SSD
    https://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=46068
    https://forum.piriform.com/?showtopic=43123

Not a pretty picture - although, if your system is inoperable due to a crash, much better, as there's no OS / SSD software in the background running TRIM, so you can get stuff back from that. Just not so much when the file has been deleted and TRIM has been run. (And, that appears to be immediately.)
    https://superuser.com/questions/421676/how-long-does-it-take-for-trim-to-kick-in
    TRIM commands will be issued immediately. However, space that is logically empty on the drive that hasn't been TRIMmed won't ever get trimmed until that space is used and then made free again.
    https://www.howtogeek.com/125521/htg-explains-why-deleted-files-can-be-recovered-and-how-you-can-prevent-it/
    Solid-State Drives Work Differently: None of this applies to solid state drives (SSDs). When you use a TRIM-enabled SSD (all modern SSDs support TRIM), deleted files are removed immediately and can’t be recovered. Essentially, data can’t be overwritten onto flash cells – to write new data, the contents of the flash memory must first be erased. Your operating system erases files immediately to speed up write performance in the future – if it didn’t erase the file data immediately, the flash memory would first have to be erased before being written to in the future. This would make writing to an SSD slower over time.
  • shadowkirtshadowkirt taina Join Date: 2018-12-26 Member: 247225Members
    edited December 2018
    *digs in his utility belt for necrothread memes*

21355wj.jpg