Subnautica still runs on wrong graphics card after forcing game to run on Nvidia cad, driver update

EpicFishFingersEpicFishFingers Join Date: 2017-03-13 Member: 228907Members
I have an old laptop with 8GB DDR3 RAM, a i5 2450M processor and an NVidia GeForce GT525M graphics running Windows 7.

Nvidia control panel is set as the Nvidia card as the preferred card as a global setting however just to be sure I also set subnautica to run on the high end card as a specific instruction, after the game launched on the integrated graphics card then complained that the card wasn't powerful enough.

I just finished updating the graphics card drivers and verifying local file integrity and tried launching it and it still doesn't work.

Is there anything I can type into steam's launch options to make it run the graphics card?
Is it recommended to completely disable the integrated cars in my bios, if it's even possible to do so? If not, why not?

Thanks

Comments

• EpicFishFingersEpicFishFingers Join Date: 2017-03-13 Member: 228907Members
    So I can't see any way to edit my original post, probably because I've knackered my laptop and the display is stuck at 1024 x 768 on windows basic mode.

I went to the device manager in control panel and disabled the intel HD graphics module to see what would happen. Laptop screen went black and I had to reboot. Everything booted in 800x600 and I could only set the display up to a maximum of 1024 x 768.

Nvidia control panel crashed every time I try and open it, and steam won't run subnautica (thought I'd try). Set launch options to "nosteam" and still nothing. Went into the steam folder and found subnautica.exe. double clicked. Got this error message:

"Failed to initialize Direct3D.
    Make sure you have at least DirectX 9.0c installed, have drivers for your
    graphics card and have not disabled 3D acceleration
    in display settings.
    InitializeEngineGraphics failed"

So the graphics cards probably rely on each other to work. I've got no idea what graphics card is being used right now but I just hope i can enable the cars as easily as I disabled it now I've tried this...
  • EpicFishFingersEpicFishFingers Join Date: 2017-03-13 Member: 228907Members
    Still can't see a post editing button but I'm sure everyone was sitting on the edge of their chairs waiting for an update so a third post it is!

I enabled the intel HD card the same way I disabled it and everything is back to normal. I tried accessing my BIOS by pressing F2 when it said and it didn't do it: tried three times. Apparently I need an external keyboard to access the BIOS, so yeah I'm giving up on this for now. If I didn't have another PC I'd probably have to get a refund as I've spent two hours not playing this now for basically nothing. Dev: please fix this issue, it's common as hell and there are loads of other threads asking about it (with no solutions in any of them)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Umm, on a laptop, a lot of times, F2 is accessed by Fn+F2, as the F-keys are replaced with quick access functionality (like brightness up/down, etc). Try Fn+F2 on startup.

If that doesn't work, post your laptop make & model and I'll try to look it up and figure it out for you.
  • FlyingkikiFlyingkiki Paris Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228979Members
    edited March 2017
    Hi everyone,

I just bought the game on Steam, and I have the same issue playing on my laptop.
    I've tried creating a specific Nvidia profile for Subnautica, but it keeps taking the integrated Intel graphic card by default, even if my Nvidia GeForce 650M works well.

I'm kind of afraid to deactivate the integrated card in the Bios, is there really no workaround for this issue ? Like an .ini file that could point to the right component, or a compatibility mode that could work ?

Thanks in advance, I'm so looking forward to playing this game ! :(

PS : The "Edit" button is the gear wheel on top right of the message.
  • FlyingkikiFlyingkiki Paris Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228979Members
    edited March 2017
    Wow that's actually really weird.

On the screenshot here you'll see the GPU error message (with the integrated GPU), and below the Nvidia notification saying that the main GPU is actually running (sorry it's in french). I really don't get it...

747370Subnautica2.jpg

Edit : I've decided to start a game anyway, and it looks pretty good, I think the main GPU is actually running, even if the integrated one is detected. Now let's enjoy this awesome game :p
  • Nemisis1509Nemisis1509 Australia Join Date: 2018-02-23 Member: 238143Members
    February 23rd 2018, still not working...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members