Workbench

SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
edited March 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Hello...

I've been concerned with the workbench.
The idea that conveyed in the games is to upgrade and customize your gear.
knife-heatedknife
propulsion cannon-repulsioncannon
etc..

the problem is...

We're only going to use it for like 4+ things out of interest, we would eventually use all of them.

So, I think they need to add more content and bring it up to speed with the rest of the game.
I don't think they need to reimagine it, it pretty good right now, but it just sits and it's basically useless FAR too soon, there's really no difference then just adding those recipes to the fabricator.

Add items, like combining items.
ex.

Grappling reel + flashlight = glowing reel
fishing line + ? = grappling hook, (were going to implement it standard)
rebreather + flashlight = flashlight helmet (bind light to "L" key)
protective suit + battery + lithium + lubricant = Heavy lifting power and ultra swim + jump. and punch
go through with power glide!

and more!

Questions, Concernes, Ideas, COMMENT! :)

P.S.
For sake of conversation here are all the recipes for workbench currently
Knife + Diamond = Hardened Blade
Knife + Battery = Heat Blade

o2 tank + Lithium = Plasteel (light) [o2] Tank
o2 tank + (2) Titanium = High Capacity (o2) Tank

Fins + (2) Silicone = Ultra Glide Fins
Fins + Wiring kit = Swim Charge Fins

Propulsion Cannon + Computer Chip = Repulsion cannon

Cyclops pressure compensator + (10) plasteel ingot + Aluminum Oxide Crystal = Ultra Cyclops Reinforcement Module

Pressure Compensator MK1 + (2) Plasteel Ingot + Aluminum Oxide Crystal + Computer Chip = Pressure Compensator MK2

Pressure Compensator MK2 + (3) Plasteel Ingot + Aluminum Oxide Crystal + Computer Chip = Pressure Compensator MK3

There any I miss?

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I always upgrade O2 tanks. And pressure compensators (MK2, MK3) and Cyclops reinforcement (Ultra reinforcement). And fins (Ultraglide FTW!). So... I do use it for more than just those 2 things. But yes, more things would be cool.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    edited March 2017
    As @0x6A7232 said...it already has some more uses to it but...more stuff is always good and I like the possibility to combine certain things to give them additional functionality and get more out of your existing "slots". So yay a simple +1 for me here too. :wink:
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited March 2017
    Is it possible you've only played the game for a few hours since last update and barely visited any lifepods? Because it vaguely sounds to me like you've not been opening a whole lot of databoxes.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    edited March 2017
    DrownedOut wrote: »
    Is it possible you've only played the game for a few hours since last update and barely visited any lifepods? Because it vaguely sounds to me like you've not been opening a whole lot of databoxes.

so are you saying I haven't been playing the game? or paying close enough attention..

I have played current NEW save for 6+ hrs...
    Read every wiki on 'workbench', 'tools', 'beta', 'in-development'... heck I helped WRITE some of those...

I most assure you I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, because of that I decided to post this discussion.

At any rate I feel the items now are still inadequate... my opinion...
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    You mean the audacity to point out a post-update misconception that even veteran players are missing? The temerity to suggest that perhaps you made an oversight? The absolute cheek of it to not know everything in your head and to try to cover bases, especially since you'd mentioned so few items to upgrade, a circumstance which made it appear very likely that you were just unaware of the new mechanic?

My God, what nerve.

Yes, really, honestly, and seriously, someone was trying to point out something you might've overlooked. To be helpful. You'll note the phrase "is it possible" in the post. The post didn't say "how do you not know this?" There was no accusation, no statement of what you do and don't know. It was a simple, helpful question.

If you want to avoid misunderstandings like that in future, it would be wise to show in your post that you do know what you're talking about - for example, by not omitting 80+% of what the item in question does. Otherwise, don't get vicious and rude when someone suggests that maybe you've overlooked something.
  • zimmymzimmym Australia Join Date: 2016-12-18 Member: 225102Members
    I love the idea of new additions and combination items to the modification station. Kind of like a tribute to the "Tinkerer's workshop." I'd love to see some more ideas from you.
    Also, Scifiwriterguy has a good point. You should analyse the situation more carefully before introducing such a strong rebut.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    DrownedOut wrote: »

really?

honestly?

seriously?

you have the audacity to come outright and tell what I do and do not know?

I have played current new save for 6+ hrs...
    Read every wiki on 'workbench', 'tools', 'beta', 'in-development'... heck I helped WRITE some of those...

And your telling me I don't even know my own facts?!

Really!?

I most assure you I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about, because of that I decided to post this discussion.

At any rate I feel the items now are still inadequate... my opinion...

Apologies if I have offended, but it was a logical thing to ask. Those commenting before me also are confused as to why you'd say the mod station is only good for the repulsion cannon and heated knife - which, imo, are the least interesting items to obtain from it.

I do agree with the premise that the mod station could use more recipes, but that "We're only going to use it for really 2 things and those are the examples above" is a weird conclusion.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    etc..

(stop at 1:26)
    there's always a bigger fish...

You mean the audacity to point out a post-update misconception that even veteran players are missing? The temerity to suggest that perhaps you made an oversight? The absolute cheek of it to not know everything in your head and to try to cover bases, especially since you'd mentioned so few items to upgrade, a circumstance which made it appear very likely that you were just unaware of the new mechanic?

My God, what nerve.

Yes, really, honestly, and seriously, someone was trying to point out something you might've overlooked. To be helpful. You'll note the phrase "is it possible" in the post. The post didn't say "how do you not know this?" There was no accusation, no statement of what you do and don't know. It was a simple, helpful question.

If you want to avoid misunderstandings like that in future, it would be wise to show in your post that you do know what you're talking about - for example, by not omitting 80+% of what the item in question does. Otherwise, don't get vicious and rude when someone suggests that maybe you've overlooked something.

Ok, ok, ok..... Yes.... As in everything there is always a chance that a person or me can be wrong...
    Yes you got me... what he said got under my skin VERY much... The point was that it could take another look over... yes I have seen the new stuff... just double checked to make sure...

look...
    ALL of this isn't really the point of this discussion at all... I can take responsibility for that... its simply about any ideas to liven up or help/fix the workbench...
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    edited March 2017
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    look...
    ALL of this isn't really the point of this discussion at all... I can take responsibility for that... its simply about any ideas to liven up or help/fix the workbench...

In that, I'm in complete agreement with you. :) I particularly like your idea for a helmet-mounted flashlight. Even if we had to swap batteries every so often, it'd still be a tremendous advantage over the light-or-tool paradox we currently have.

The glowing dive reel is also a great idea.

Personally, I'd love to see tandem-rigged tanks. You can see them on present-day endurance divers; they're a pair of tanks rigged to a single gas manifold and delivery line to extend dive time. Even the expanded O2 tank the mod station currently produces is still annoyingly small (especially considering a modern SCUBA tank's capacity), so the ability to stay down longer seems rational.

Awhile back, @0x6A7232 and I were knocking around an idea for an improved flare, one that hovers at the depth you deploy it, is extremely bright, but only lasts for a few realtime minutes. It could be a modification on the base-version flare. (It also gives magnesium a new lease on life; it's terribly underused at present.)