Weather?

scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
Not a request, just a question.

Since the Degasi reports all mention some wild weather (or at least tons of rain), are there any plans to implement any kind of weather system? When I first read the Degasi PDAs on the island, complete with their woes of having crops flooded out, I looked around at my world which was entering its umpteenth day in a row of "Perfect Day in the Caribbean" and wondered what they were talking about.

So I'm not making a request, just wondering if weather is on the horizon. (That was not a pun!) Because I do love a good thunderstorm at sea. :)

Comments

• pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    Weather would be great but this is a game about being underwater so I don't think there's a big chance that weather systems are in the forecast.

That said, underwater seastorms would be badass. No idea what that would entail, but it sounds cool to me.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    In theory, a bad storm system could drop sunlight levels below the minimums needed to run solar panels - if the storm keeps up for a couple days, you could be in trouble for power.

Higher seas would also knock subs around, especially the lightweight Seamoth, making traveling on or near the surface at least tricky if not dangerous.

Lightning and/or wind could make being on the islands during a storm dangerous.

But most of all, it'd add some variety to the world. With every day being exactly the same as the one before, it's not like you need to prepare for anything unexpected. You can build up supplies and gear for expeditions at whatever pace you choose, and it's pretty unlikely that there will be anything you need to allow for. With the potential of a storm damaging subs or shallow seabases, as well as messing with solar power generation, it would be the missing incentive for players to plan with flexibility in mind.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2017
    Didn't we see something recently about the Dev's fiddling with different weather on Trello?
    (or was it on Discord?)

I could have sworn I saw a short vid/pic that showed rain and choppy seas.

Found it...
    https://trello.com/c/3sie0yxm/203-storms

Though it's just a "Brainstorm" topic and hasn't been advanced since 2015.

Rumor has it that some kind of weather may be added post v1.0.
    B)
  • FleursFleurs France Join Date: 2017-02-18 Member: 228025Members
    I would love to have weather in this game, but they should then slow down the day/night cycle, it is actually way too fast to be immersive. A rain here would last 30 sec at most. (little exagerating, but not by much..)
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Weather would be great but this is a game about being underwater so I don't think there's a big chance that weather systems are in the forecast.

That said, underwater seastorms would be badass. No idea what that would entail, but it sounds cool to me.

Watch from 13:24 onwards. There's an awesome (And terrifying) section in SOMA when you're at the bottom of an abyssal trench and faultline activity causes an underwater storm, which hampers your progress and decreases visibility due to the sediment being stirred up. Always hoped Subnautica would do something similar.

• FleursFleurs France Join Date: 2017-02-18 Member: 228025Members
    Soma was such a good game =)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2017
    Storms actually do affect below the surface. Can't remember the exact numbers, but it's not trivial.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/3afx1u/are_submarines_affected_by_storms_in_other_words/
    EDIT: @ApoNono
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members

Watch from 13:24 onwards. There's an awesome (And terrifying) section in SOMA when you're at the bottom of an abyssal trench and faultline activity causes an underwater storm, which hampers your progress and decreases visibility due to the sediment being stirred up. Always hoped Subnautica would do something similar.

The Spider section though... I could barely watch someone go through that.

Imagine that in VR tho.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Think weather would be nice.

Hell, we have Eclipses and and stuff. I don't think rain or storms is too much to ask for.

Hell, even wirlpools.
  • 999Antonio3849999Antonio3849 Emperor Aquarium Join Date: 2016-10-23 Member: 223324Members
    In theory, a bad storm system could drop sunlight levels below the minimums needed to run solar panels - if the storm keeps up for a couple days, you could be in trouble for power.

Higher seas would also knock subs around, especially the lightweight Seamoth, making traveling on or near the surface at least tricky if not dangerous.

But most of all, it'd add some variety to the world. With every day being exactly the same as the one before, it's not like you need to prepare for anything unexpected. You can build up supplies and gear for expeditions at whatever pace you choose, and it's pretty unlikely that there will be anything you need to allow for. With the potential of a storm damaging subs or shallow seabases, as well as messing with solar power generation, it would be the missing incentive for players to plan with flexibility in mind.

how bout if lighting strikes and island base the power goes out for some time only like 30 seconds
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    I would love weather in Subnautica, above the ocean like rain and other ocean weather, and under ocean, things like storms, tsunamis, waterspouts, etc. (I don't know much about ocean weather, but I know it is awesome and there is a lot. )
    Also I would love to see a tsunami when the aurora exploded, it makes perfect sense! It was even in the trailer, because a explosion that big could cause huge tsunamis! All of this would add much more immersion to the game, rather than a clear day/night. Gets pretty boring, and it would give players on the surface something to look up to, rather than constantly on the sea floor.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    Fleurs wrote: »
    Soma was such a good game =)

It's one of the few games which actually caught me by surprise, a real gem.
    The entire thing felt so, so predictable. And a lot of it was, the overall gist was pretty obvious from the moment you wake up underwater. But...
    (Spoiler follows, if you haven't played SOMA, don't read this. Seriously. No I'm really serious. Go play the game, it's worth it.
    But what got me was the fact that all the way through I expected Catherine to betray Simon, but nope. It was really refreshing to to play a game without that particular cliche.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited March 2017

The Spider section though... I could barely watch someone go through that.

Imagine that in VR tho.

The spider-crabs weren't what freaked me out...it was leaving that cave and then running straight into the
    anglerfish.
    I got away but it followed me back into the cave and caught me. :#
  • Sam_StarfallSam_Starfall Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230665Members
    An opinion on this: keep it to the strict minimum

Only dark cloud needed, rain is luxury
    - great visual
    - Impact: solar panel, your ability to see the night coming, darken the night more

Fog
    - "low cost" visual?
    - Impact: solar panel, ability to see islands and the Aurora

I would be more interested in underwater current, or stuff that ask you to plan more carefully where you travel or build base "like depth do".
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    An opinion on this: keep it to the strict minimum

Only dark cloud needed, rain is luxury
    - great visual
    - Impact: solar panel, your ability to see the night coming, darken the night more

Fog
    - "low cost" visual?
    - Impact: solar panel, ability to see islands and the Aurora

I would be more interested in underwater current, or stuff that ask you to plan more carefully where you travel or build base "like depth do".

As stated eariler weather could be something added after v1.0. As for currents we'll have to see what the devs want to do, I know there was talk before about it but it also might be a thing for after 1.0
  • AnomalyDetectedAnomalyDetected Alterra Housing District: Planet Vicaron Join Date: 2017-04-19 Member: 229741Members
    You guys know there was a trello card labeled that said they may add weather, right?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2017
    You guys know there was a trello card labeled that said they may add weather, right?

I wish we could control weather IRL, this country of mine is weird as hell one day superhot, during the night it goes below freezing... Then the next day rainy -> stormy -> super weather -> catsNdogs etc... On a daily basis, wtf is that even!!! Stick to the damn script mon!

Oh hey, we need weather in any case, it will make the world come a-a-alive o/
  • AmbaireAmbaire Join Date: 2016-06-27 Member: 219206Members
    Yeah, weather would be amazing. Thunderstorms and hurricanes would be amazing. Think of swimming up to the surface and the water is choppy and there's rain falling and then a bolt of lightning strikes a coral outcropping...
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members

it would make getting the moonpool necessary, the cyclops would need an anchor of sorts that is set by the player to keep it in place but you and the seamoth would get bashed around and grounded up on the coral forcing you to remain in your base or anchored cyclops until the storm passes.

also i and probably a few others have noticed that their are no currents the water is pretty stagnent
    I believe weather should be purely cosmetic compared to "currents" since surface weather don't have as much influence.

Current itself could be extremely simple: (near) invisible tunnel across the ocean that push you in a direction, with different force and different slope, some intermittent. The sophisticated submarine (or module? sensor-room link?) would show them on the HUD.

And to satisfy the "KISS" principle (keep it simple stupid): they don't need to move NOR incredible special effect. So it's never obvious and you can still park your subs safely. Also seeing fish get in those will help.

If I could draw I would make a proper suggestion thread.
    You are the one going to frustrate players if you can't park anywhere outside "the current" without seeing your sub drift away.

The tunnel idea is meant to add gameplay, rapid but very predictable event you have to compensate for or use as express line, it break monotony more than "everything in the area will slowly drift North-East" global current.
    Also, I didn't say it would be completely invisible, I just said you don't need fancy graphics that make it shape too obvious (you aren't forced to make it a tube anyway, it can be anything, from a shallow plate to a deep corkscrew)
    If you eventually need a whirlpool, you can use the same tech.

And let's be practical here, google search about it say you need an incredible storm and enormous wave to start bothering a submarine below 50m. Unless subnautica start adding surface boat (or more stuff like the rocket launcher/mobile station), we would hardly notice a costly effect.

Hence my "do current first", "cosmetic weather" suggestion, if you want to add real typhoon later the dev would probably code using the previously cosmetic part anyway.
    And as I said before, even a pure visual effect, like having darker night or FOG would have an impact (asking you to use marker).
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    Here's what I said originally:

"Laying aside the danger of navigating in high seas, violent sea action will disturb vehicles within several dozen meters of surface, and - gameplay effective - seabases in the shallows would easily sustain damage" (emphasis added).

Since most players build initial and/or primary seabases in shallow areas, they will be at risk. You do not need to be within the wave's amplitude range to have problems. Not everything needs to be Michael Bay; subtle effects are more realistic and can be the source of gameplay changes and variety. And since storms are cyclical, robust preparation adds a layer of survival planning. "High" seas - otherwise known as sea state 7 - involve waves nine to twelve meters high, but effects extend to beyond twenty meters. Maximal sea state on Earth, State 9, means waves over 14 meters, with effects beyond 24 meters. In other words, working in the shallows becomes risky, and the most abundant source of a variety of resources becomes dangerous. Deep bases and vehicles below 50m would be relatively unharmed, but everything in the shallows as well as accessing the Aurora would become very risky. Additionally, wave current modeling - micro-scale currents - are relatively easy to calculate; waves produce a predictable downward and upward current effect, easily procedurally generated.

Macro-scale currents would be an interesting addition, but are highly impractical. Modeling realistic current interactions with the topology of the various biomes would be a monumental task. Without burning an incredible amount of time (and money) doing so, the resulting currents would be unrealistic, leaving people dealing with currents that do the impossible - slamming into cliffs, diving into the floor. Realistic current modeling is incredibly difficult. Just slapping in a "flat plate" or other cookie-cutter effects won't work. Other games have tried it and earned ridicule for it. Besides, with the size of the map, adding an "express lane" is poor design; it will only serve to make the map feel smaller. Since we already have vehicles that make a map crossing less than five minutes, anything faster would be counterproductive in terms of design.
  • The08MetroidManThe08MetroidMan Join Date: 2016-09-23 Member: 222527Members
    edited May 2017

"Laying aside the danger of navigating in high seas, violent sea action will disturb vehicles within several dozen meters of surface, and - gameplay effective - seabases in the shallows would easily sustain damage" (emphasis added).

Since most players build initial and/or primary seabases in shallow areas, they will be at risk. You do not need to be within the wave's amplitude range to have problems. Not everything needs to be Michael Bay; subtle effects are more realistic and can be the source of gameplay changes and variety. And since storms are cyclical, robust preparation adds a layer of survival planning. "High" seas - otherwise known as sea state 7 - involve waves nine to twelve meters high, but effects extend to beyond twenty meters. Maximal sea state on Earth, State 9, means waves over 14 meters, with effects beyond 24 meters. In other words, working in the shallows becomes risky, and the most abundant source of a variety of resources becomes dangerous. Deep bases and vehicles below 50m would be relatively unharmed, but everything in the shallows as well as accessing the Aurora would become very risky. Additionally, wave current modeling - micro-scale currents - are relatively easy to calculate; waves produce a predictable downward and upward current effect, easily procedurally generated.

Macro-scale currents would be an interesting addition, but are highly impractical. Modeling realistic current interactions with the topology of the various biomes would be a monumental task. Without burning an incredible amount of time (and money) doing so, the resulting currents would be unrealistic, leaving people dealing with currents that do the impossible - slamming into cliffs, diving into the floor. Realistic current modeling is incredibly difficult. Just slapping in a "flat plate" or other cookie-cutter effects won't work. Other games have tried it and earned ridicule for it. Besides, with the size of the map, adding an "express lane" is poor design; it will only serve to make the map feel smaller. Since we already have vehicles that make a map crossing less than five minutes, anything faster would be counterproductive in terms of design.

IDK if you got Sam's point, exactly; namely that the subs being subject to drift is going to be a gameplay annoyance regardless of damage or not. Plus, shallows should arguably be a lot more vulnerable to storms since the volume of water to disturb by the winds is lesser than the open ocean - the mass of a small body of water would be more easily disturbed than a deep one.

Plus, based on the whole "cyclical" argument, there's the fact that we don't know what kind of seasons the planet has - for all we know, the Degasi crew were unlucky to land in hurricane season and we're in the calm point. I mean, this isn't earth - it's mostly ocean aside from a few islands; there's less top-side landmass to displace the surrounding water with and it has two moons to offer a different gravitational effect than our own moon. Simply put, it doesn't feel right to apply our world's perimeters to a planet that has substantially different factors to it.

That's not to say I'm against there being weather cycles in the game, though; just that there's a bit more to consider regarding the fact it's an alien planet with an alien life cycle.
    edited May 2017

Since most players build initial and/or primary seabases in shallow areas, they will be at risk. You do not need to be within the wave's amplitude range to have problems.

I did understand you the first time and I give you that point: it would make for a nice early game distraction and push player to rebuild deeper. However I stand that the (suspected) cost of adding weather/waves would be very wasteful when we spend most of our time submerged way beyond 50m.

I find your lack of faith disturbing **force choke**
    I mean I find your skepticism unwarranted, it's not "poor design", it's a time proven and popular game features in any game who can use it. It fit all criteria for a good mechanic:
    - It doesn't need to be ridiculously dangerous, and avoiding to slam into things (or use the current to go faster) is the point.
    - you get to plan your approach around difficult zone, you get to choose where you park your subs for safety
    - It's compatible with procedural generation (we don't need most to follow the relief, just the biomes and depth)
    - several key place in the game are handmade, so it can be added by hand there.
    - Development side it just ask for a visual clue and generate area. I'd say that -look- easier than coding large wave and weather/typhoon.
    As for realism: let's be serious. It's perfectly within the verisimilitude of this game with floating islands and stuff.

BTW, I never said it needed to be have "200km/h fast currents". But the map is big enough to have anti-frustration features like express line to discover. Ever since the Cyclops got a need for silent running, I've been wishing to use the current to move even more silently (or simply to go normal speed without full power)

I'm not against weather either, but if I had the choice with currents, I'll take currents.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    I remember seeing storyboard slash pre-pre concept pages that were put up for biomes. One of them was a massive current zone. Maybe there can be an area that has REALLY strong currents?

As for weather, I think a simple weather system would be awesome. Gives more reason for reinforcements and bulkheads in your base, to contain any damage from stormy chop.

Hell, you could build say... A weather station, or maybe upgrade a Scanner Room to have a deployable buoy that floats on the surface that can warn you of incoming storms so you can get to shelter. (Clearly this is less important if you set up a base in the Lost River or something, but by that point you have other concerns)

I mean I think it'd be a more fun survival mechanic than "Welp time to eat another Reginald. *Scarf scarf*"
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    As an ocean planet there is the chance that the storms here could be absolutely massive compared to earths, so they very well could affect bases and the player far below the 50 mark. How big is the planet anyway? I mean we know of storms the size of planets in our own system and a hot ocean world the storms have no mountains or wetlands to disrupt it, it's perfectly possible to have a weather event here and there of a massive that can affect bases hundreds of meters deep.

That said, being an underwater world perhaps there is room for a bit of creativity with underwater weather? Areas that occasionally have maelstroms or the like?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    As an ocean planet there is the chance that the storms here could be absolutely massive compared to earths, so they very well could affect bases and the player far below the 50 mark. How big is the planet anyway? I mean we know of storms the size of planets in our own system and a hot ocean world the storms have no mountains or wetlands to disrupt it, it's perfectly possible to have a weather event here and there of a massive that can affect bases hundreds of meters deep.

That said, being an underwater world perhaps there is room for a bit of creativity with underwater weather? Areas that occasionally have maelstroms or the like?

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+big+could+storms+get+on+an+ocean+planet

TL;DR: we don't know, some say stronger, some say weaker, it all depends, of course. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    @0x6A7232

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+big+could+storms+get+on+an+ocean+planet

TL;DR: we don't know, some say stronger, some say weaker, it all depends, of course. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Creative licensing ahoy!