Crashing + Lag - Deleting cells cache does not appear to work. (+Discussion)

Deoxys_0Deoxys_0 Join Date: 2017-01-21 Member: 227029Members
edited February 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Plus I'm tired of having to mess with game files.

After starting a new game in the latest update, I had to clear the cache once after building a massive base because every wreck I found was spawning empty and without door hinges. Clearing the cache sort of solved that. The wrecks regained their missing components but often spawned too many of them (sometimes over 20 fragments of the same blueprint per wreck). I realized they were stacking as I encountered multiple stacked doors. Keep in mind this was RIGHT AFTER I cleared the cache folder. After getting all the blueprints I needed to progress in the game I decided to just keep playing, fearing that clearing the cache folder again would make things worse. Shortly after, the crashing started. Crash like every 10 minutes or so; the game became unplayable. I've reached a point where I no longer wish to reset the cache folder unless I'm 100% certain it will make things better. Here's why:

1) Although the initial reset/clear did allow me to obtain the blueprints I needed, it ultimately caused more problems than before (stacking, crashing, lag, etc.). Because of this (and the reasons below) I'm too afraid to reset/clear again.
2) Resetting/clearing the cache folder removes the sense of progress by a great deal. This is because it respawns depleted resources. In Subnautica, I like the idea that certain areas of the map become depleted or resources as you progress in the game and gather lots of things. I'm not saying that damage to the environment (if it is that in Subnautica) is good but in a video game it gives a sense of progress. As crazy as it sounds, I like the idea of having to travel out further for the resources I need because it makes me feel like I've "completed" an area in a sense. I don't intend to ever harvest every resource on the map but having "cleared" areas helps add that progression feeling plus it's more realistic. Resetting/clearing the cache folder undos all of that and there is no way around it unless you can somehow isolate the specific batch files causing problems. That wouldn't be so hard if they were all wreck batch files, but I'm having issues far from wrecks too.
3) Having to mess with game files to prevent issues should never be a common thing. I know I'm basically kicking a dead horse here; everyone knows about clearing the cache folder and what not but I felt like it still belonged on this list.

So now I ask, when will this issue be fixed, if ever? I long to play again but not in a scenario without that sense of resource depletion progression. I also want to be done messing with game files.

Again, I know this issue has been brought up a thousand times already and I'm aware that everyone and the devs know of it. That's not the reason I made this thread. I made this thread because I wanted to give my specific thoughts on it and my personal experience with it to show that it's not a temporary work around for everyone. This thread is meant to serve more as a discussion thread about the issue as a whole rather than looking for alternatives or solutions (because until the game updates I don't think there are any).

Discuss.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Wait a few days for the next stable patch to hit. A lot of this has been improved and you can see it in the experimental branch. But you should be getting the next stable update soon, so hang in there.
  • Diplomat21Diplomat21 Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228336Members
    i hope so. my game keeps crashing when i try and collect the moon pool from a wreck. Its very annoying as cant progress.
  • FendarFendar Join Date: 2017-01-06 Member: 226237Members
    I actually stopped playing for now, because clearing the cache files, reduces the immersion of the game and it sucks.

Very importantly: It would be an absolute no-go for the final version.
    But they do have a some time to solve that.

After the next stable build I'll give it a go again - with a fresh game.