Lag/Frequent Crashing

DefconX3DefconX3 Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228047Members
Oh yay! Another discussion from me again!

Recently, playing Subnautica has become a real pain. That is, the horrible lag and crashing that I get when entering areas that havent been rendered. Now, my computer should definitely be up to the task for running this game without issue. A GTX 1070 should be well beyond the graphical requirements for this game, yet it feels quite the opposite. When I have been in an area for a fair amount of time, my FPS will be far over 100, yet when I try to explore a new area, and the game has to render some new objects, my game will freeze for around half a minute and sometimes even crash.

I have played games with far higher GPU/CPU demand than Subnautica, so something to do with my own hardware should be, for the most part, out of the question.

Tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• pie1055pie1055 Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224603Members
    This is a pretty common issue and your frames sometimes being way high is a clear indicator it is not the power of your hardware that is at fault.

What you're going to want to do is clear Subnautica's cache. It involves finding a few files/folders that Subnautica generates on its own and deleting them. This is going to reset your world in a sense. Any deformations to terrain and obtained items will reappear, although things like your bases/vehicles will be fine. A forum user by the name of 0x6A7232 has a nice guide here; https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146057/an-updated-guide-fix-crashes-lag-stuttering-and-keep-your-saves-through-subnautica-upgrades/p1

If that doesn't work we can go from there but nowadays this is the fix for this kind of problem around 90% of the time.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, if you have started a new game since the "Castles & Coffee" update...

Just Delete the first two files as described in the LINK above and the game will work 100% better.

The only thing you might have to do is take out a bit of Flora that appears in your base.

If you are playing a continuing game-save from Pre-Castles & Coffee, then you will probably have a bit of terrain invading parts of your base.

There are ways to solve that, but it is a bit more complicated.

I've always begun a new game with each update to avoid any previous game breaking issues.

B)

• DefconX3DefconX3 Join Date: 2017-02-19 Member: 228047Members
    pie1055 wrote: »
    This is a pretty common issue and your frames sometimes being way high is a clear indicator it is not the power of your hardware that is at fault.

What you're going to want to do is clear Subnautica's cache. It involves finding a few files/folders that Subnautica generates on its own and deleting them. This is going to reset your world in a sense. Any deformations to terrain and obtained items will reappear, although things like your bases/vehicles will be fine. A forum user by the name of 0x6A7232 has a nice guide here; https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146057/an-updated-guide-fix-crashes-lag-stuttering-and-keep-your-saves-through-subnautica-upgrades/p1

If that doesn't work we can go from there but nowadays this is the fix for this kind of problem around 90% of the time.

This worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!
    DaveyNY wrote: »

Just Delete the first two files as described in the LINK above and the game will work 100% better.

The only thing you might have to do is take out a bit of Flora that appears in your base.

If you are playing a continuing game-save from Pre-Castles & Coffee, then you will probably have a bit of terrain invading parts of your base.

I've always begun a new game with each update to avoid any previous game breaking issues.

B)

Yep! Link fixed it.. Thank god!

Base doesnt have any anomalies either.. Consider myself lucky?
    edited February 2017
    DefconX3 wrote: »

B)

Base doesn't have any anomalies either.. Consider myself lucky?

Either that or you are a Master Base Builder that took into account any and all technical abnormalities before construction began.

B)
    DefconX3 wrote: »

B)

Base doesn't have any anomalies either.. Consider myself lucky?

Either that or you are a Master Base Builder that took into account any and all technical abnormalities before construction began.

B)

Haha!
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    One thing I found that helped me massively without clearing the cache files, was to move the game form a "normal" HDD to a SSD.

That worked wonders for me, as I did not want to tinker with the cache files because I started a fresh game and deleted all my "old" savegames after the "Castles & Coffee" update. So I thought, you have not played that long so the cache files should not be the problem.

Do the cache files persist even after starting a new game or are they created anew with each new savegame?

If they persist it might also improve the performance if I clear the cache files too.
  • VoutareVoutare Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227314Members
    Do the cache files persist even after starting a new game or are they created anew with each new savegame?

The latter, each savegame has it's own cache files.

The Feb 21 release has a "savegame performance bugfix" planned, hopefully cleaning cache will not be needed anymore in the near future.
    edited February 2017
    If you are into building Very Large Bases, deleting those files is also a great way to replenish the assorted resources needed to accomplish your Huge Base-Building Goals, without disrupting your saved game.

B)
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Voutare wrote: »

The Feb 21 release has a "savegame performance bugfix" planned, hopefully cleaning cache will not be needed anymore in the near future.

I believe the new release date is 23 Feb, going by the Trello board.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members

Thank you for clearing that up. I thought so but did not know for sure.

I can only mention again to all with problems while entering new regions or fast movement, like with the Seamoth, to move your Subnautica via an additional Steam Library Folder to a SSD if you got one. My install was about 13GB big which fitted on my "small" system SSD first untill I got myself a 2TB SSD for all my games after I realised how much performance boost it gave Subnautica. I would not go so far as to say it runs super smooth, but it got so much better that I can play without having lots of stutter or lag-like issues anymore and that was a huge step for me. Even with my pretty decent hardware (I7@3.6Ghz, 16gb ram, 1080GTX) the game did stutter alot when I moved quickly around. Maybe my old HDD was just reaching it's lifetime limit and becoming slower in the process but my best guess would be that Subnautica needs to load many smaller files to work properly. That's one thing SSDs do way better then a HDDs.

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

I can only mention again to all with problems while entering new regions or fast movement, like with the Seamoth, to move your Subnautica via an additional Steam Library Folder to a SSD if you got one. My install was about 13GB big which fitted on my "small" system SSD first untill I got myself a 2TB SSD for all my games after I realised how much performance boost it gave Subnautica. I would not go so far as to say it runs super smooth, but it got so much better that I can play without having lots of stutter or lag-like issues anymore and that was a huge step for me. Even with my pretty decent hardware (I7@3.6Ghz, 16gb ram, 1080GTX) the game did stutter alot when I moved quickly around. Maybe my old HDD was just reaching it's lifetime limit and becoming slower in the process but my best guess would be that Subnautica needs to load many smaller files to work properly. That's one thing SSDs do way better then a HDDs.

It does (load many small files) -- that's what the cache is made of, if you take a look inside CellsCache, CompiledOctreesCache - hundreds of files ranging from a few hundred KB to a few MB each.

It's a Hell of a lot cheaper to just delete those two files every once in awhile.

And the result is pretty much the same.

Plus, you get the added bonus of having a whole new supply of resources to play with.

B)
  • VoutareVoutare Join Date: 2017-01-27 Member: 227314Members
    You can use the cache clearer made by foxxyfox.

It can leave some spots untouched.
    if you add spots (like base, aurora, alien fortress) they will stay saved, but other stuff is resetted.

https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/146898/made-a-tool-to-clean-cache-crash