ns2_origin

Comments

• MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    looks amazing but I am afraid that walking around on an uneven floor like that might be a pain in the ass
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    pSyk0mAn wrote: »
    Biodome hive
    ..not sure where to put the vent exits yet, because the vent system around Biodome was very complex
    4pLbXql.jpg

..not much left to do
    liIRQUK.jpg

new overview:
    GCtBrra.jpg

oh yeah, you can also see the area between Biodome and Ventilation, which is called Water Treatment.
    Left to do: Power Core, Xenoform Research and Coolant Monitoring

Holy inferiority complex Batman!

You sir, are working way too fast and efficiently for my tastes... I like things to be done fast but by god man... this is ridiculous!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Mephilles wrote: »
    looks amazing but I am afraid that walking around on an uneven floor like that might be a pain in the ass
    I can smooth it over, if it's going to be a problem.
    After finishing geometry I usually walk around as marine, skulk and onos to check for jump and stuck spots and overall flow and I didn't have any trouble.

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    @BeigeAlert We have to hurry, he might be done with this next sunday
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Well, i'm away on holiday until the weekend, so I don't doubt that I will return and see some amazing updates and discover that the map is ready for testing.

But if you could just, hold off on posting until friday so everyone else has to wait too, i'd be so grateful :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I might not step into NS2 anymore, besides just checking stuff out... I will check out this map to look at the sexy bits 71.gif
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited March 2017
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    I might not step into NS2 anymore, besides just checking stuff out... I will check out this map to look at the sexy bits 71.gif

You better :p
    Your ns2_sample map helped me a great deal to get that temporary readyroom going.
    If you ever update it, you should maybe put all the global entites into the readyroom to seperate them from game entities.
    @Kasharic : I can't promise to hold on till friday, but since BeigeAlert refused to add a button into spark for autogenerating occlusion geo, it might take a few more days lol
    Occlusion Geo was a piece of cake :8

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=859097492

Enjoy :)

Still to do:
    -Xenoform Research
    -Detailing/ Rebuilding Marine Start, Tram Tunnels, Access and Complab
    -Detailing various corridors and connections
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    I'd still love a button to auto generate commander invisible stuff
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Kouji_San wrote: »

You better :p
    Your ns2_sample map helped me a great deal to get that temporary readyroom going.
    If you ever update it, you should maybe put all the global entites into the readyroom to seperate them from game entities.
    @Kasharic : I can't promise to hold on till friday, but since BeigeAlert refused to add a button into spark for autogenerating occlusion geo, it might take a few more days lol

You heard it here fist people, this map would've never been possible, without my epic readyroom template69.gif
    Could you put the vents into a vent layer please? It's hard to see what are vents and what are hallways on the minimap
    Update:
    -Updated Minimap (orange vents too)
    -More commander view clean ups (removed all the door frame props)
    -Added more pipes to furnace for alien cover
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    whew, this takes me back! biodome looks great.
    edited March 2017
    Update:
    -Occlusion Geometry fixes
    -Fixed Cooling Monitoring Location Entity being called Generator
    -Sunlights and lavalights ignore powergrid now
    -More details and lights in Ore Scanner and more detailing in general

Has anyone played even one game on the map yet?
    I'm really curious about gameplay.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Update:
    -Occlusion Geometry fixes
    -Fixed Cooling Monitoring Location Entity being called Generator
    -Sunlights and lavalights ignore powergrid now
    -More details and lights in Ore Scanner and more detailing in general

Has anyone played even one game on the map yet?
    I'm really curious about gameplay.

Ask the server owners to put in on their server.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2017
    Okay i played one round a few days ago on origin and have to say i really enjoyed how dynamic engagements were around cargo due to the layout of this map.

But my only suggestion at this point is that the resource sockets in cargo should be offset a little more from the back walls. Because at the moment it is impossible to hide behind the resource towers as skulk while bitting them.

Otherwise looking forward to play a few more rounds ;)
    edited March 2017
    Okay i played one round a few days ago on origin and have to say i really enjoyed how dynamic engagements were around cargo due to the layout of this map.

But my only suggestion at this point is that the resource sockets in cargo should be offset a little more from the back walls. Because at the moment it is impossible to hide behind the resource towers as skulk while bitting them.

Otherwise looking forward to play a few more rounds ;)

Yay, this makes me happy^^

I fought a lot with the position of the cargo nodes during the last weeks, because when I offset them more marines and skulks can get behind but not around due to the collision of the marine harvester. If I offset them even more, onos gets stuck behind the structure, when jumping on top from above.
    So I figured I try it this way first, limit skulk movement around the harvester, because they already have an advantage in that room with all the elevations and cover compared to Veil's Nanogrid.

If ppl really want skulks to go all around the nodes, i guess i have to move the sockets around and help with collision geo until it all works out and no lifeform gets stuck.

Todays map update extended the space around the power core node tho, because it had the same problems.

• ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited March 2017

It was more nostalgia moment for me then anything, though only probably 4-5 things i could say about it, i did write about in the video.
    edited March 2017
    Lmao thanks Archie.
    -Agree with the ladder or crates for marine start ledge
    -Gimme a laser drilling prop :p
    -Good call on Lava Catwalk spots. I'll try to make it easier to get up and also up on the bridge
    -Smelting Room still needs a lot of love. I'm not sure I want a bilebombing gorge up there tho unless marines can kill it without jetpack
    -I forgot collision geo to make marines able to jump on that arched long pipe in Ventilation
    -I see what i can do about the other conveyor side of cargo to get up there

Edit:
    I've updated the map again:
    -Collision geo for catwalk areas around Ventilation so you cant get below
    -Built the corridor between Biodome and Power Core
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    As the map gets played more at the SCC server http://ghoulsbox.bplaced.de/wonitor/deathMap.php might become useful to track down spots that need more love.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    May sound nitpicky, but can you increase the roomheight in some areas of the map? (Cargo/Computer Lab) I know NS2 doesn't always play well with vertical spaces but certain parts of the map feel rather squished and limiting in comparison to the original.
    D6D6EC83216B5C92A64A8DA9C3FDA878F7B40EC0

Though strangely enough, marine start feels claustrophobic but is surrounded with a lot of empty space.

I'm not saying the map needs or should be 1:1, it's just the current room dimension changes makes the map feel rather off for people who played the ns1 version.
    Yeah, I agree.
    Marine Start needs a lot more love and I think I'm going to extrude the wall behind the techpoint for more space.
    I didn't wanna add the heigher ceiling with the beams above computer lab res node, because it might be too difficult for marines then.
    Update:
    -Gave Marine Start another pass: more space, details, and added a ladder for the Access Tunnel ledge
    -Detailing of Computer Lab res node area
    -Moved Cargo doubleres nodes away from the wall so lifeforms get around (Onos still gets stuck at some point blah)
    5htZ8V2.jpg
    5cYVzu1.jpg
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2017
    Is it possible to meassure the size of the map? The map feels very big to me. Looking from Laser Drilling to Marine Start feels like looking from Trams South Tunnels to North Tunnels.

Especially all the rooms that don't have a resource tower add a lot of walking distance.

I mean, the map is supposed to be big, but it really kind of feels too big. I'd suggest to compress the size of the map wherever you can, especially passageway rooms like Xenoform Research, Lava Catwalk, Skylights and stay within the size of other maps to not have the marines chasing skulks all the time.

I didn't have a chance to play a match on your map yet though.
    The map is ~7000x8000 Units, when I select the edges.
    Veil is ~6200x7200
    Descent is ~7200x8200

So..make of that what you want or just start playtesting the map :p
    I played a few games on pub, but it's painful with 500 elo players.
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited March 2017
    The numbers seem reasonable.

Maybe it just felt too big, because it's still new. On which server did you play your map?
    You are right about Laser Drilling tho. The viewrange is too big that you can see the restower disappear when u stand next to the Access powernode due to the limited range for entities.
    I guess I have to make Access a bit bigger to reduce that range.

It's been played on Wooza and on Spark Crafter server. No idea wether it's running somewhere else.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    No idea wether it's running somewhere else.

I just added it to The Thirsty Onos servers.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2017
    I didn't wanna add the heigher ceiling with the beams above computer lab res node, because it might be too difficult for marines then.

You don't need to make it so aliens can go above the beams, just elevate the parts around the beams like Veil's topographical res node so aliens have a better chance to ambush while giving the area some more height diversity.

Like this: http://i.imgur.com/gdFFTCD.png