Make the floodlight and/or the light stick more useful

lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
edited February 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Basically, give them the ability to be connected via power transmiters once placed on the ground... if you could replace the battery slot with a power transmitter module, it could serve as a power transmitter as well (think utility posts).
Its insanely time consuming to swim/walk around changing its batteries, and even if you do, you would need to do that by day, meaning the battery is already wasted once the night comes.

That way, you could not only connect thermal plants to your base, but lighten the way between them. I think that it wouldn't be insaly difficult to code, worst case scenario you could trick the game by adding an invisible power transmitter to the floodlight and/or the light stick once the module is placed.

Comments

• Carl_BarCarl_Bar Join Date: 2017-02-03 Member: 227560Members
    Yeah ATM the lights are near worthless IMO.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    lucashc90 wrote: »
    Basically, give them the ability to be connected via power transmiters once placed on the ground... if you could replace the battery slot with a power transmitter module, it could serve as a power transmitter as well (think utility posts).
    Its insanely time consuming to swim/walk around changing its batteries, and even if you do, you would need to do that by day, meaning the battery is already wasted once the night comes.

That way, you could not only connect thermal plants to your base, but lighten the way between them. I think that it wouldn't be insaly difficult to code, worst case scenario you could trick the game by adding an invisible power transmitter to the floodlight and/or the light stick once the module is placed.

Maybe make a craftable battery replacement, that instead of providing / draining power from itself to the device it's in, feeds power to the device wirelessly from a nearby base, is that what you're suggesting?

• Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    If anything, they could at least reduce their power draw significantly. At the moment they are just to tedious to consider using as a viable light source.
    Have the ability to plunk a Solar Panel(s) down in range of a bunch of lights, and if there's enough energy, power them (have to code auto cycle off during day to charge the batteries, on during night & Solar Eclipse for light, like modern streetlights). For deeper locations, a Thermal Reactor instead should be allowed.

Only problem is you could use it sort of for a makeshift battery charger (but is that such a bad thing? It's still inconvenient to use it this way, and until you scan & build a battery charger it could ease the time in-between, plus it takes all day to charge or something).

Also you could require Power Transmitters in-between, that would make sense (just like normal, unless your base is in the short range of the generator, it needs transmitters).
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Crewman87 wrote: »
    If anything, they could at least reduce their power draw significantly. At the moment they are just to tedious to consider using as a viable light source.

Yeah the LED Lights are entirely useless in every regard. Their one sole use is for decoration, and they burn out so quickly. Not sure if bug or intended, but when mine died out it wouldn't let me pick it up or replace the battery :/

Same with the Floodlights. They're okay for setting up a base when its night, but I use them almost exclusively as decoration and for lighting my underwater garden. Unfortunately, they also burn out real quick and having to replace the batteries every few minutes gets old real fast.

I've been suggesting - in forum and in-game - for a long time that they consider letting it draw from base power, but like their gutting of the ILZ I fear it may be final.
    Rezca wrote: »

Yeah the LED Lights are entirely useless in every regard. Their one sole use is for decoration, and they burn out so quickly. Not sure if bug or intended, but when mine died out it wouldn't let me pick it up or replace the battery :/

Same with the Floodlights. They're okay for setting up a base when its night, but I use them almost exclusively as decoration and for lighting my underwater garden. Unfortunately, they also burn out real quick and having to replace the batteries every few minutes gets old real fast.

I've been suggesting - in forum and in-game - for a long time that they consider letting it draw from base power, but like their gutting of the ILZ I fear it may be final.

The stupid thing is, LEDs actually use way less than other lighting technologies. So it just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Really, I think we should just say good bye to spotlights for good. Floodlights are still good for decoration, so I'd like them to be kept. What we need is built-in lights into the base that you can just turn off and on when you need to.

I still want neon signs that you can put up and customise, though.
  • lucashc90lucashc90 Brazil Join Date: 2017-01-05 Member: 226176Members
    edited February 2017
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Maybe make a craftable battery replacement, that instead of providing / draining power from itself to the device it's in, feeds power to the device wirelessly from a nearby base, is that what you're suggesting?

Exactely! They would function the same as the power transmiters, but would also power the light, occupying the battery slot.

• scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    I'd love to see a spotlight that just rotated a flat 360 like a lighthouse. Doesn't lock onto anything nearby, just swings its circle. Either underwater or above surface, it would be a great way to set up a marker or homing light without having to rely on a beacon. (Too many beacons make for a very cluttered HUD, although the new Ping Manager is a godsend. I just like going lowtech when it'll do the job. Plus, eh, I like lighthouses. ;) )
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Personally, I prefer the LED Stick over the Flashlight. It has a light radius instead of just a cone, so it illuminates the area better and you can plonk it down should you need another tool instead of getting plunged into darkness.

I'm all for adding base connection to Floodlights. And power settings for lights would be great, too, having a choice between on, off and night time only.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    i kind of wish an upgrade (mod station tho) to the led stick, so it gets charge ambiently from the sun or thermal.
    Do the devs really look into these? Is there a more direct way to contact them?
  • Crewman87Crewman87 Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224967Members
    You could always jump into the discord chat, if they come around.
    You could always jump into the discord chat, if they come around.

thanks