The Mantra - Vehicle Intermediary

SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
In Subnautica, there are three vehicles. The seamoth, cyclops, and prawn suit. Each one works to serve a purpose.

The seamoth is good for getting the player around quickly, the cyclops is good for long-term missions, and the prawn suit is good for exploration and mining.

However, I feel as though there is a missing link here, and thus I suggest that a fourth vehicle should be implemented.

Manta_Ray_Underwater_Vehicle_Bongo_Submarine_Futuristic.jpg
The Mantra
(concept art i didn't make)
The Mantra is a submarine that is about 2/5 the size of the cyclops, and slightly slower than the seamoth. It has an entry hatch on the underside which leads to small room with a fabricator and engine with 3 slots for batteries.

There is a door in that room which leads to the cockpit, which is a large area with multiple windows and appliances. There would be a small set of stairs near the front that'd lead up to the console area, which contains a machine that lets you edit the Mantra's appearance similarly to the cyclops. There'd also be a seat where you could actually pilot the sub.

Additionally, there would be a small grow bed where you could grow 2 of either Chinese Potatoes or Marble Melons. The tree-type plants wouldn't fit and thus you are unable to plant them.

Against the back wall there would be 4 lockers for storage. Unlike the cyclops, you cannot build stuff inside the Mantra.

As for upgrades, you would be able to use a panel on one of the wings to enhance the Mantra. You could use pressure compensators, hull reinforcements, power efficiency upgrades, the perimeter defense system, and solar charger.

Additionally, you would be able to upgrade the brightness and range of the spotlights, and you'd be able to charge up a powerful energy blast to stun enemies.

It would be crafted with 3 plasteel ingots, 4 glass, 2 lubricant, an advanced wiring chip, and a polyaliline at the vehicle bay.

Anyways, thanks for reading. Tell me if I missed any important information or if you have a suggestion on how to change or improve the Mantra! Or if you have a better manta-ray based name for it.

Comments

• EternalGolemEternalGolem Join Date: 2016-11-04 Member: 223650Members
    edited February 2017
    That's the Gungan sub from Star Wars! :D

Still like the idea though
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2017
    Here's some official concept arts to pick from for your Manta sub idea ^^

They also had the Beluga and Draconis as large subs - the Beluga being even larger than the Cyclops - but they ditched these (Along with the idea of having a "middle sized" sub to bridge the gap between the seamoth and cyclops) when the Seamoth and Cyclops on their own ended up proving hard enough for their small team and limited resources. Which is a shame since they're really beautiful looking subs:

latest?cb=20160522231950

latest?cb=20170109002620
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    That's the Gungan sub from Star Wars! :D

Still like the idea though

So that's what it is I guess. xP
    Rezca wrote: »
    Here's some official concept arts to pick from for your Manta sub idea ^^

They also had the Beluga and Draconis as large subs - the Beluga being even larger than the Cyclops - but they ditched these (Along with the idea of having a "middle sized" sub to bridge the gap between the seamoth and cyclops) when the Seamoth and Cyclops on their own ended up proving hard enough for their small team and limited resources. Which is a shame since they're really beautiful looking subs:

latest?cb=20160522231950

latest?cb=20170109002620

I like those concept arts, although none of them fit the shape that I want the Mantra to be.

I really wish some of these were implemented. :(

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Those concept arts are all the hotness. I don't think I've seen them before, thanks for posting.

Subnautica 2 multiplayer, maybe? I think SN is fine with the subs it has, really. More subs are an answer for a problem that doesn't exist.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Those concept arts are all the hotness. I don't think I've seen them before, thanks for posting.

Subnautica 2 multiplayer, maybe? I think SN is fine with the subs it has, really. More subs are an answer for a problem that doesn't exist.

Subnautica 2: Don't Drown Together
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    I also would love to see more and bigger subs but we just don't have the mapsize and the space to use them well. Sure a mid sized one could work well, but a bigger one as the Cyclops would not work without a complete redesign of the map. None the less would it be great to see more subs in an even bigger Subnautica 2 if it ever comes.
  • Carl_BarCarl_Bar Join Date: 2017-02-03 Member: 227560Members

I don;t quite agree with that, writing a big post on progression right now and IMHO the Cyclops and Prawn together are trying to cover far too much developmental space, and it's causing issues. There's a real need a for a true minisub. Something bigger than the seamoth, (and with the ability to be upgraded with arms), but without the dive depth or sheer durability vs stuff bigger than sand sharks that the Prawn has. That way the PRAWn and Cyclops can explicitly cover the ultra deep, ultra high threat lifeform area that are lousy with Reapers, Crabsquid, Warpers, Larvae, Dragons, e.tc. Instead of trying to cover a much larger developmental space and not quite nailing the upper end like they should.
    A resource drone might cover that (dunno). Something you can remotely pilot from the Scanner Room through hazardous areas, that is expensive enough to make losing it painful (not to mention losing the resources it's carrying, but maybe you could make it drop those upon death).
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    A resource drone might cover that (dunno). Something you can remotely pilot from the Scanner Room through hazardous areas, that is expensive enough to make losing it painful (not to mention losing the resources it's carrying, but maybe you could make it drop those upon death).

Maybe something with Advanced Wiring Kits? Because man is Gold such an abundant and useless resource right now xD
    Though that'd also mean Silver too (since the computer chip) and that's a bit of a pain to find at times... But once you get to the Scanner Room segment of the game, it's not as big of a problem to hunt down.
    Need an advanced computer chip that requires gold instead of silver, and use that in the advanced wiring kit instead. IMHO anyway.
    edited February 2017
    Need an advanced computer chip that requires gold instead of silver, and use that in the advanced wiring kit instead. IMHO anyway.

Anything that makes Gold more useful I'm okay with. I need a reason to care about those Basalt Chunks that are so abundant and taunting me about their presence on the walls.... Right now, I just taunt them back for not being Limestone or Sandstone - because while they might be flooding the Mountains, they're not worth popping open. Diamond's in a pretty similar boat tbh
    and even sticking it in the Artifact recipes doesn't really do much. Especially if UNW decides on keeping the Precursor platform stocked full of the things. I hope it's like the Aurora side-entrance and just a placeholder thing, since right now you don't need to craft a single one to open every single door in the building
  • AladortheDragonAladortheDragon Kansas Join Date: 2017-02-12 Member: 227831Members
    edited February 2017
  • AladortheDragonAladortheDragon Kansas Join Date: 2017-02-12 Member: 227831Members
    edited February 2017
  • DracobombaDracobomba Join Date: 2016-04-08 Member: 215502Members
    Rezca wrote: »

right now you don't need to craft a single one to open every single door in the building.

Most players won't find them all on their first blind playthrough. Besides, there are also several Precursor caches which require these artifacts to open, so more curious players will find these as well and will need to craft some more to progress.