This is an actual size comparison

FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
Now if someone could find me a much bigger version of this I'd be very grateful, but this is impressive as it is. Seeing a comparison between just the crabsquid and a person is insane as it is, but seeing a reaper compared to the emperor leviathan is just mind boggling.

i5t6rpj9r0x2.jpg

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2017
    Fluffers wrote: »
    Now if someone could find me a much bigger version of this I'd be very grateful, but this is impressive as it is. Seeing a comparison between just the crabsquid and a person is insane as it is, but seeing a reaper compared to the emperor leviathan is just mind boggling.

Something's missing.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Something's missing.

Fixed =P
  • AlchematrixAlchematrix Indiana Join Date: 2017-02-05 Member: 227652Members
    Isn't the reef back bigger than that now?
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    The human in that picture is actually a little bit too big. It should look more like this:
    yAjMpxN.png

This size chart is also kind of outdated as can be seen with the Reefback having it's old size, and I've heard that the Sea Emperor will end up being smaller than this in the final game.
    Also, I think this is the biggest version of this image.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    @Kouji_San Where was that pic where you compared these sizes to a blue whale?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2307155#Comment_2307155

"size chart" came up with that :D Meh i'll throw it in here as well then...

camidi5s8j0e.jpg
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    The human in that picture is actually a little bit too big. It should look more like this:
    yAjMpxN.png

This size chart is also kind of outdated as can be seen with the Reefback having it's old size, and I've heard that the Sea Emperor will end up being smaller than this in the final game.
    Also, I think this is the biggest version of this image.

Still going to be bigger than the Sea Dragon ;)
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Is the Cyclops really that size compared to a blue whale?
  • Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    edited February 2017
    The Blue Whale is also way too big in that picture.
    It should look more like this:
    i2NoSc5.png
  • FeddyKenFeddyKen USA Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224455Members
    pie1055 wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2307155#Comment_2307155

"size chart" came up with that :D Meh i'll throw it in here as well then...

camidi5s8j0e.jpg

Fixed that for you.
    z5jn0q2tbxtf.png

Ya got me.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2017
    Here's another size comparison, after asking in Discord how big that wrecked Aurora is...

~1500m (1250m without the nose) I was told, although it feels and looks more like ~600m to me... Second pic, which is wrong \o/
    Here's another size comparison, after asking in Discord how big that wrecked Aurora is...

~1500m (1250m without the nose) I was told, although it feels and looks more like ~600m to me... Second pic, which is wrong \o/

It's because of the low level of detail on some of the Aurora textures + the shrinking effect of the first person view. Like how a Reaper doesn't seem that large, but if you used Stasis Rifle and went freecam, you'd get an accurate representation of how large it really is.

I refuse to believe that the aurora is that much bigger than the enterprise D. I mean sure, it is bigger, but there's no way it's that much bigger.

I refuse to believe that the aurora is that much bigger than the enterprise D. I mean sure, it is bigger, but there's no way it's that much bigger.

I'm just relaying the numbers, I do think it looks more like a 600-700m vessel, based on the antenna's, bridge super structure and windows (the little greenish bits). Especially what with only 50 people onboard...

But hey, them devs said it was 1.5Km, sooooo :D
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members

I'm just relaying the numbers, I do think it looks more like a 600-700m vessel, based on the antenna's, bridge super structure and windows (the little greenish bits). Especially what with only 50 people onboard...

We could measure its size precisely ingame!
    edited February 2017
    Bloop wrote: »

Beacon at aft engine 1275m, me booping the nose of the Aurora

Lol and getting stuck :D
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2017

Does seem like it's far bigger than it should be, but a lot of it may have been storage for the resources they were gonna need for building the Phasegate. Materials for actual construction, vehicles for any possible situation that could come up... Then recreational decks, and food production... The size still seems a bit large, and I'm not sure why its drive core is apparently right next to the edge of the hull (A collision from something or a shot from a hostile ship - like a pirate attack - would rupture it and then RIP Aurora. Seems like bad ship design, but would you really want to walk a thousand meters to repair that? XD

I mean, they could find a way to speed up the journey sure, but the most cost effective solution was to have it nearby where the player can access it. Unless they stuck it in the middle, and had a ruptured section on the underside that you'd swim to. Perhaps a cave opening that lead up to it.

Pre-explosion, I'm assuming?

The thing that gets me is that the enterprise has waaay more stuff inside, has more than 1k people in it, full luxurious crew quarters for those 1k people, and still manages to find space for storage. The aurora has 50 people and I'm supposed to believe that it's nearly 3 times the size of the enterprise?

Something's not right here.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    According to the database it has 148 crew and 9 passengers with 0.25km³ cargo for the phasegate. From the looks the engine in the back and the reactor in the front take up almost half of the ship. May be large for the crew number, but then again look at the crew and size ratios of the average cargo ship on earth.
  • kingkumakingkuma cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress Join Date: 2015-09-25 Member: 208137Members
    Fathom wrote: »
    According to the database it has 148 crew and 9 passengers with 0.25km³ cargo for the phasegate. From the looks the engine in the back and the reactor in the front take up almost half of the ship. May be large for the crew number, but then again look at the crew and size ratios of the average cargo ship on earth.
    It's likely mostly automated.
  • phantomfinchphantomfinch West Philadelphia , born and raised on the playground is where I spent most of my days. Join Date: 2016-09-06 Member: 222128Members
    kingkuma wrote: »
    Fathom wrote: »
    It's likely mostly automated.

The ship must have also had a cryopod room or some other type of FTL capability to build a phase gate, you have to get to the destination first to build it and create a gateway. Either way that's taking up another large portion of the ship, there's also the holo sim room, the hangerbay, recriminations and possibly a hydroponics room, plus all the vehicle bays, medical facility's and any type of armoury incase of pirates.
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Pre-explosion, I'm assuming?

Yep
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    May I?
    s72oyb6zx4xo.jpg

Man, the alive creature had to be ridiculously gigantic.

I hope to see a fan-art rendition of what this creature looked like when it was alive.

Any art majors want to take the challenge?
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    @Skope I'm not an artist, I don't have a drawing tablet and all, so I just sketched something down on paper. This is what I think it'd look like. It's really grainy quality and the drawing isn't perfect, but I just wanted to get it down :)
    loag87az1wk3.jpg

It's better than what I could have done.

Nice job!

Though, I do have one question.
    What's with the chest spikes?
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    Skope wrote: »
    Jamezorg wrote: »
    @Skope I'm not an artist, I don't have a drawing tablet and all, so I just sketched something down on paper. This is what I think it'd look like. It's really grainy quality and the drawing isn't perfect, but I just wanted to get it down :)
    loag87az1wk3.jpg

It's better than what I could have done.

Nice job!

Though, I do have one question.
    What's with the chest spikes?

Instead of giving it just sea dragon arms or just emperor arms I gave it both.
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    That is one giant skull, and that is only the skull, imagine it with all the skin on top!