Nutrient Block Fabricator

NewAgeRevolutionNewAgeRevolution California Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227658Members
We already have a water purifier, so its only natural that there should be an equivalent for making food too! Nutrient blocks are the only item that you can only find exclusively aboard the aurora, all the other items you can find there you can create or get without needing to travel to the aurora, so there is essentially a finite amount of them in the world. They are the biggest food restoring items, and are thus extremely useful.

The way I see it; you could do this:
have a machine that requires a certain amount of food items added to it in order to create a nutrient block; every food item you add would help build up towards getting a nutrient block. How this would work is that for each food item you put in, it would donate the amount of food that item gives (i.e. if you put in a lantern fruit it would give 5 food) that would stack to get a total of 75 food, whereupon a nutrient block would be made. And of course if you put in any item that decreases food, it would simply do nothing instead of deducting from the current amount.

You could also make it so that there would be a separate bar to fill for water, so that each item added would give the amount of water it offers to a separate value that would build up to a total of 50 water, whereupon you would get a big filtered water.

Comments

• ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Really nice idea...instead of drying fruits with the fabricator (another idea mentioned before) you could build one of these to fabricate those nutrient blocks. I would love to see this in the game as a mid to late game device because let us be honst, once you visited the island with the bases you never have food or water problems again. The only problem is, that you just have salted fish as a food source when you leave your base. As long as you do not grow fruits on the Cyclops that is.

You could use it a bit like the bioreactor. You fill up the inventory with food items and it slowly produces nutrient blocks. It should produce them faster then you need them so that you can build a stack over time, as long as you keep it filled with food items of course. Yay that would be very nice...hope this get's some attention. :)
  • NVMGamerNVMGamer Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230464Members
    This isn't a bad idea, i have been thinking about how they are so good yet you don't get many of em
  • xm234xm234 Poland Join Date: 2017-03-26 Member: 229207Members
    edited May 2017
    I don't think, it is a good idea - fabricating nutrient blocks would make catching/breeding fish obsolete later in the game. As soon as the first planter is set up, fish serve only as preserved food source.
    xm234 wrote: »
    I don't think, it is a good idea - fabricating nutrient blocks would make catching/breeding fish obsolete later in the game. As soon as the first planter is set up, fish serve only as preserved food source.

yeah you might be right, catching fish is annoying though unless you find the perfect place to put the gravity whatever ball
    NVMGamer wrote: »

yeah you might be right, catching fish is annoying though unless you find the perfect place to put the gravity whatever ball

Or just build an alien containment - free fish forever!
    NVMGamer wrote: »

Or just build an alien containment - free fish forever!

I can't find the part of it, can you tell me the biome/coordinates?
    edited May 2017
    I found mine in the
    Blood Kelp Trench or Grand Reef (the one around 250m deep).
    There is also 1 in the DGR degasi base.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I found mine in the
    Blood Kelp Trench or Grand Reef (the one around 250m deep).

[spoiler][/spoiler] tags are your friend..
    I found mine in the Blood Kelp Trench or Grand Reef (the one around 250m deep).

K thanks
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Sure we can "breed" unlimited fish as soon as we get the Alien containment, but it still leaves us with "only" cured fish as a food source for expeditions further away from a base.

Sure you could just use plant pots inside your Cyclops. But for all the Seamoth/P.R.A.W.N. explorers out there another preserved food source then just cured fish would be really nice.

Dried fruits/vegetables have already been mentioned a few times but as an equivalent to the big filtered water bottles I really think we should get a chance to produce our own Nutrient Blocks. Let them need fish too in their recipe and the Alien Containment keeps its usefulness. Maybe they even need a mix out of Fish, fruit and vegetables to make a Nutrient Block.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    We definitely need the ability to make nutrient blocks as a late game food item.

The kitchen on the Aurora would be an ideal place to put a broken one that the player could scan.

I like the idea of it working a bit like the bioreactor, where you put a pile of food items inside, and once you have enough food value it compresses them into a nutrient block.
    Sure we can "breed" unlimited fish as soon as we get the Alien containment, but it still leaves us with "only" cured fish as a food source for expeditions further away from a base.

Sure you could just use plant pots inside your Cyclops. But for all the Seamoth/P.R.A.W.N. explorers out there another preserved food source then just cured fish would be really nice.

Dried fruits/vegetables have already been mentioned a few times but as an equivalent to the big filtered water bottles I really think we should get a chance to produce our own Nutrient Blocks. Let them need fish too in their recipe and the Alien Containment keeps its usefulness. Maybe they even need a mix out of Fish, fruit and vegetables to make a Nutrient Block.
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    We definitely need the ability to make nutrient blocks as a late game food item.

The kitchen on the Aurora would be an ideal place to put a broken one that the player could scan.

I like the idea of it working a bit like the bioreactor, where you put a pile of food items inside, and once you have enough food value it compresses them into a nutrient block.

yeah, good ideas, i agree about needing fish+plants and being an end-game type thing
    For games like subnautica, I find that for myself and friends, sustainability is an end-game goal in terms of a survival game's gameplay loops. It is so in subnautica as well, but sustainability can happen very early on in the case of food. Not to mention that gameplay needs (food, clean water and oxygen) act as fences to entice the player to stay in a smaller play area (near the surface, near the safe shallows) rather than as lures to bring them into more dangerous places which is common in some other games.

Curiosity brings us out on its own, of course! However, if I were to take a shot at rebalancing food, I wouldn't make the replicator able to cook food, ensuring raw food had a limited nutritional gain compared to cooked food. (Does it already? I never ate raw food in the game, there was never a need in my games) Due to it being bland and/or hard to eat, raw food should only bring your fullness up to a certain point, making you have to cycle through the hunt-and-eat process more often with the AI prompting you that cooked food will make it more palatable. Finding a food processor would be the next step, providing cooked food that leaves you struggling with hunger less often. I think cured food and cooked food are too similar (if you want food to stay without spoiling, simply hold it live in your inventory until you cook it). So the next step should be mixed meals, fish and potato, fruit and creepvine. A few meals that are balanced to maintain nutrients in the body for longer periods of time. These can fill you to a higher maximum hunger than cooked or cured fish or raw fruit and vegetables alone.

Finally should be fabricating nutrient blocks, which I think should be the product of scanning and perhaps even selectively breeding certain fish, adding many different kinds of grown foods from melon to chinese potato, etc. Something that would require having mastered sustainable foods, and you get rewarded with a much larger fullness bar, one that will take significantly longer to diminish because the nutrient block is so densely packed with nutrients and calories and also presumably flavorful and enjoyable to eat. This would make later nutrient blocks a reward for hard work at survival and research (an idea I have more thoughts on for another post) and it would also make earlier, discovered nutrient blocks a guide, they eat one and realize woah, if I find out how to make these, I won't have to struggle to keep eating.

Good idea i like it
  • EstebanLB01EstebanLB01 Join Date: 2017-05-09 Member: 230377Members
    To avoid making fishing and farming obsolete, the nutrient block should need both fish and plants, in a big quantity and diversity. For example, the crafting recipe should be 2 or 3 different fishes and 2 different farmable plants. With some limits, for example, no easy getting plants (vines or gel), and no easy fishes, (boomerang, bladder and the whiskered yellow dull one).
  • Toruk_MaktoToruk_Makto Italy Join Date: 2017-02-15 Member: 227945Members
    For games like subnautica, I find that for myself and friends, sustainability is an end-game goal in terms of a survival game's gameplay loops. It is so in subnautica as well, but sustainability can happen very early on in the case of food. Not to mention that gameplay needs (food, clean water and oxygen) act as fences to entice the player to stay in a smaller play area (near the surface, near the safe shallows) rather than as lures to bring them into more dangerous places which is common in some other games.

Curiosity brings us out on its own, of course! However, if I were to take a shot at rebalancing food, I wouldn't make the replicator able to cook food, ensuring raw food had a limited nutritional gain compared to cooked food. (Does it already? I never ate raw food in the game, there was never a need in my games) Due to it being bland and/or hard to eat, raw food should only bring your fullness up to a certain point, making you have to cycle through the hunt-and-eat process more often with the AI prompting you that cooked food will make it more palatable. Finding a food processor would be the next step, providing cooked food that leaves you struggling with hunger less often. I think cured food and cooked food are too similar (if you want food to stay without spoiling, simply hold it live in your inventory until you cook it). So the next step should be mixed meals, fish and potato, fruit and creepvine. A few meals that are balanced to maintain nutrients in the body for longer periods of time. These can fill you to a higher maximum hunger than cooked or cured fish or raw fruit and vegetables alone.

Finally should be fabricating nutrient blocks, which I think should be the product of scanning and perhaps even selectively breeding certain fish, adding many different kinds of grown foods from melon to chinese potato, etc. Something that would require having mastered sustainable foods, and you get rewarded with a much larger fullness bar, one that will take significantly longer to diminish because the nutrient block is so densely packed with nutrients and calories and also presumably flavorful and enjoyable to eat. This would make later nutrient blocks a reward for hard work at survival and research (an idea I have more thoughts on for another post) and it would also make earlier, discovered nutrient blocks a guide, they eat one and realize woah, if I find out how to make these, I won't have to struggle to keep eating.

A realy good idea, sir. I liked.
  • WhitelynxOneWhitelynxOne Join Date: 2017-05-16 Member: 230556Members
    Thanks guys, I'm still working on smoothing out my other ideas to be easy to read and hopefully meaningful and worthwhile to implement for the team. I know I'm just on an ideas forum, and with so many creative minds already here offering their thoughts to the developers, being very careful about how i present my ideas might seem a bit overkill for something they may not even have the time to read with such a busy forum, but if they do encounter my ideas I'd like them to be able to comprehend them easily. :smile:
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Ya'll know this has been suggested before, right?
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Suggest it again. Compress 75 food into a single slot food item.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    Somewhere, someone suggested using massive amounts of gold to make gold coins that you can use to get a nutrient block from the vending machine.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    A nutrient compression machine : Making some fish AND plant into a nutrient block.
  • NansenNansen Join Date: 2017-06-02 Member: 230896Members
    I think as @Wiirlak suggest is a better option. The water fabricator making water out of power makes sense, but a nutrient fabricator should require to have something put in to it. The thing is that it is really easy to be self sustained just by plants or fish in subnautica (for food), but all of this options is not good for traveling since they go bad in your inventory. Having a machine that basicly makes your food just last as a nutrient block (it is a option for it with fish and salt, but not for vegetables).
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    I always fancied a mix between Bioreactor and Water Filtration Machine: You throw food in, it gets "burned" up and once every while you can pick up a Protein Block.

This will allow balancing every aspect of the Protein Fabricator in one package; how long it takes, the amount of food needed and how much power is consumed.
    CAPSHAW wrote: »
    Somewhere, someone suggested using massive amounts of gold to make gold coins that you can use to get a nutrient block from the vending machine.

who the hell thought that was a good idea?
    edited June 2017
    Fathom wrote: »
    I always fancied a mix between Bioreactor and Water Filtration Machine: You throw food in, it gets "burned" up and once every while you can pick up a Protein Block.

This will allow balancing every aspect of the Protein Fabricator in one package; how long it takes, the amount of food needed and how much power is consumed.

*Nutrient block*
    Hmm what about if we could use the fabricator but need two "stages" to make nutrient blocks. You can already condense Titanium into ingots. Why not condense fish into a kind of protein block and veggies into a something like a veggie/vitamin block? But I would reduce the required number of fish and veggies from 10 per block (Like the titanium Ingot) to around 2-3 per Block. One protein block combined with one veggie/vitamin block would then form one nutrient block. Would be easy to implement ("just" have to add a recipe and two "new" resources to the fabricator) and still require you to either hunt for fish or use the Alien Containment to farm fish and plant veggies/fruit. Maybe you find the recipe late in the game or in a deep wreck that you can't fabricate them too early.
  • WiirlakWiirlak Blaton Join Date: 2017-05-26 Member: 230772Members
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    A nutrient compression machine : Making some fish AND plant into a nutrient block.

@ThePassionateGamer that's what I proposed. But I should be clearer about my idea, since I posted hastily ..

The nutrient compression machine :
    - A machine that is unknow at the start, we need fragments.
    - It use energy as long as it work (like the water filtration machine).
    - It may use a wall slot in the multi-purpose room.
    - We need to place some fish AND plants (like 2 or 3 of each).
    - It would take some time to make the nutrient bloc - since it has to dehydrate the food.
    - It should give back more than 1 so 2 maybe 3.

Thought ?
    Wiirlak wrote: »
    The nutrient compression machine :
    - A machine that is unknow at the start, we need fragments.
    - It use energy as long as it work (like the water filtration machine).
    - It may use a wall slot in the multi-purpose room.
    - We need to place some fish AND plants (like 2 or 3 of each).
    - It would take some time to make the nutrient bloc - since it has to dehydrate the food.
    - It should give back more than 1 so 2 maybe 3.

Thought ?

Ok the long version sounds very similar now...thats true. Didn't mean to copycat it. I would just skip the "machine" part to save development time. Just add 3 recipes to the fabricator and do it manually. Yes it would making the blocks quicker but still require the work to gather the needed food per block.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Each food item has a food value attached when you eat it. A block fabricator could just take a lot of food, convert to a progress bar, and spit out blocks after a while. So players can eat whatever they put in, for any dietary tendencies, or just what's available. One salt per block, perhaps? A little less effective than looted nutrient blocks, but non-spoiling.

That, and the Cyclops needs a water desalinator. :p
  • tommy21toestommy21toes Subnautica Join Date: 2017-05-21 Member: 230666Members
    Nutrient blocks are now 4 inventory squares in size in experimental. 4 cured Reginalds are 176 food and negligible water effect. With 4 slots of inventory, I don't think the blocks are worthwile anymore other than free lunch while exploring the Auroura. Even if they were 100% food and water, I don't think I'd be carrying them around due to size.

Seems like a fine idea to make them less important, and like I said, a free lunch while stumbling across them, but I don't think that's the direction that's going to lend well to having a fabricator for blocks make much sense anymore.