New player! A few hours in...mixed impressions/noob questions!

chimp_spannerchimp_spanner Join Date: 2017-02-04 Member: 227581Members
So I've been curious about this game for a while. Finally bit the bullet and just got it. Really well presented. Love the atmosphere and the whole premise really. I will admit it took me a few tries before I really knew what I was doing. It does kinda throw you in at the deep end, so to speak. But I do find that I'm hitting bottlenecks rather quickly, specifically with regards to crash powder. I've also read other people having the same issue. I've baited maybe five or six crashfish and gotten nothing but a single egg. And it's very time consuming finding their nests, at least in this seed. I'm willing to explore and search but...within reason. I don't want it to feel like a job ya know ;) I could just chance it and try a new seed. But it's write off the two or three hours I've put into my current one. Is there any tip or advice for finding the stuff? Or is it really that rare? My chances of finding pods by just looking are slim. Need that powder/repair tool/comms array!

Also, frame rate drops are getting me killed a whole bunch. But I'm sure the devs are aware of this. Just sharing my experience.

Anyway, I feel like this will be a fantastic game in time. At the moment I'm just intrigued, slightly puzzled, but mostly impressed by the potential!

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The game is not procedural generated, it is hand crafted for that extreme amount of polish and detail, with a random spawn point for your lifepod. So after a while you should be able to find them elusive crash fish nests with a bit more ease :)
  • chimp_spannerchimp_spanner Join Date: 2017-02-04 Member: 227581Members
    Oh damn, didn't know that! All the more impressive then :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Also you can find them inside Safe Shallows Caves and Kelp Forest Caves. Just listen for the telltale "kasjik" sound when you go near them
  • LordSingulothLordSinguloth Join Date: 2017-01-19 Member: 226955Members
    Yeah you either get lucky or unlucky with those

Lemme help you with your fps mate,
    Open up the pause menu
    Enter lb+rb
    That will open the developer option on the start menu (in game start menu specificly)
    Go to graphics settings in the dev menu and tick off , view mask, bloom, and light rays

This will increase your fps nominally

Another thing you can do is while in game press lb+rb+a
    This will bring up the dev console
    On this console type in "noshadows" (minus the quotations of course) and will disable shadows in this session, again this increases fps quite a bit on the xbox one

We should be seeing MASSIVE fps boosts in the next update which should drop literally any minute/day/who tf knows

Also scan everything
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    By the way crashfish powder is only really used for a repair tool. You also use it for flares but I hardly ever create flares... but yeah anyway. Once you create the repair tool you only need to create more batteries until you find the battery charger. So it is a one off resource that if you play your cards right you will never need to make again.

Once you get further into the game you might need to create maybe 1 per base or something but realistically the limited usage of the resource is why it is quite rare to actually find the powder.

Also they aren't that rare, go to all the caves in the kelp forest too as well as the safe shallows ones. You will eventually find it. Also the welder isn't really needed, compared to the other tools in the game, so just be patient.
  • mal666mal666 defuinak springs fl Join Date: 2017-02-06 Member: 227667Members

i hate crash fish from what if seen they love to kill their selves but it does make it easier to get the materials
  • ShotoutShotout Join Date: 2016-12-04 Member: 224576Members
    XB1S S; Sorry to disagree about the repair tool , but it's needed in the Aurora and to access many wrecks.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Crashfish, like most things, have a way to work around them. Let the Crashfish swim at you, then dodge to the side and swim past them in a straight line - they can't turn well, so they will overshoot and detonate behind you.
  • kingdoo10kingdoo10 UK Join Date: 2017-01-20 Member: 226989Members
    Shotout wrote: »
    XB1S S; Sorry to disagree about the repair tool , but it's needed in the Aurora and to access many wrecks.

True but you need a lot of stuff for the Aurora. The welder, propulsion cannon, sea glide/seamoth, lots of batterys and food ect.

What I was more meaning is that it isn't that important early game. And crashpowder is easy to get eventually so it isn't that much of a problem.