[BUG]STILL GETTING 3 WRECKS STACKING[JAN 17 STABLE UPDATE]

MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
edited January 2017 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Hi.

I was somewhat disappointed to note in the latest stable update (Jan 17) that we are still getting the situation where we have three wrecks stacking. This not only affects game play (having to cut through or open three doors one behind the other), but it also seems to affect frame rates.

I realise that this is still a pre-release game, and I still really enjoy playing it, but, devs, you really need to sort out these game play proplems, otherwise it may turn people away and/or provide negative reviews on the Steam store page. Negative reviews can have a tremendous impact on whether people purchase your game. I know I always read the negative reviews before positive reviews on any game I consider purchasing.

Still, you are doing tremendous work with the new things we see in each update and are to be congratulated, but please work on some of these commonly reported bugs that affect game play and which are consistent update after update.

Thank you.

Comments

• ant_fioant_fio Join Date: 2017-01-26 Member: 227275Members
    edited January 2017
    I posted this in another thread, but feel it's far more relevant here, where the issue is the primary.

I noticed last night in the changes/checkins that a super awesome dev committed a hopeful fix for the duplicating wrecks issue. If you're on steam and are like so many of us who found the issue to be so demotivating, you'll be excited to know that it's available in the experimental build, which all steam users have access to, to the best of my knowledge. I was so excited to see it in the changelog I immediately started a new game. I even got to play a bit before work this morning. No duplicate wrecks yet, no double/triple/n+1 doors either. And no crashes.. yet.

Edit: To further support the hopefulness that the issue is truthfully resolved, I can attest to visiting 3 separate wrecks, after several saves and loads, having exited the game and/or visited the same areas repeatedly. It really does seem to be resolved, anecdotally. The quantity of fragments in the wreck were also far, far more "reasonable", with some wrecks containing only a single fragment of an item, rather than 10-20.

Fingers crossed. ^_^
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    Thank you ant_fio, I'll check it out. :smile:
    edited February 2017
    I'm very sad to report that after about 2-3 hours of solid play, investigating at least 6 wrecks, I finally found one that was still duplicating. I had to cut through 5 doors in a wreck in the Kelp forest which contained 5 identical copies of a PDA sitting on a bench. All that was inside otherwise? A single bioreactor fragment. The absolute anticlimax. And when i got in I discovered the alternate entrance required zero laser cutting. Herp derp. Tested with 43861.

F8'd the 5x doors and such. This is, so far, the only wreck I've seen duplicated.

I also found the player's movespeed takes a huge dive by the wreck near lifepod 7 (Seaglide with a fresh battery moving at roughly the speed a player with no fins would move if carrying maybe 3 or 4 oxygen tanks), but again, no duplication there. It was on my way back from Lifepod 7 to the vicinity of Lifepod 6 that I discovered the aforementioned duplicating wreck. Take note of it if you're going between them and let us know if you experience the same.

No crashes yet, still.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Someone said that lag was related to duplication, as the engine tries to load, doesn't succeed at once, tries again, and then both copies load, or something like that. Not sure of the validity but it made sense the way it was explained.
    edited February 2017
    When I think of lag, I think of spikes or sudden frame drops - I won't assume it isn't lag. I'm not entirely sure what to make of it. This was completely smooth, FPS wise. Just that the player was moving very, very slowly. It's not the first time it's happened to me, near that particular wreck specifically.

But I did have a couple of lag spikes just swimming by some wrecks I had no intention of entering (either because I'd been in them already or they were just the entrance-less slag that you see on occasion, with no real interior). The few times it happened, I didn't take special note of which wrecks they were - I was more concerned with getting my game saved, because usually those sudden, harsh spikes of lag are accompanied by a crash for me.

Posting to note I have yet to see another duplicated wreck other than the one I mentioned; I went and visited a couple more and saw no signs of dupes. Also still no crashes. I overestimated my previous playtime count. I'm right at the 4 hour 30 minute mark or so, which is nearing when I start experiencing some unstable save behavior (typically I'm 5-8 hours into a save file's overall duration before I start having crashes) and have to either clear cells or give up playing until another update.

Edit: Another checkin (43936) attempting to address the duplicate wrecks issue was submitted by Jonas, last night (my time). I may step through a new save to see if I'm still getting the dupes, at least on this particular wreck.