Have Communications Relay double as a beacon

moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
When a communications relay is added to a powered base, have it double as a beacon ping with a different image (simple seabase image instead of standard beacon image). Makes sense, and explains how the lifepod beacon works.

A possible Hardcore option would be to disable the Lifepod ping until the lifepod's communications relay is repaired.

Comments

• soversover germany Join Date: 2016-12-19 Member: 225184Members
    actually makes a lot of sense

I like the hardcore option a lot too
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I've thought about this option too, but I am not sure if I like it. If silver permits it, I tend to build multiple CRs within my bases, usually one for each horizontal hatch and bedroom. I rather not have to go through the (admittedly minor) hassle of managing multiple pings per base.
  • moronwsubmarinemoronwsubmarine Austin, TX Join Date: 2016-12-16 Member: 225030Members
    That seems like a pretty special use case though. Are they for aesthetics or just for ease of access? Maybe for this case, only the first active communications relay found on a base is the ping source.
  • soversover germany Join Date: 2016-12-19 Member: 225184Members
    or even simplier make two activation areas on the CR
    one for checking your inbox .. haha
    (around the red blinking light)

and one for activating ping
    (around the antenna)

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    That seems like a pretty special use case though. Are they for aesthetics or just for ease of access? Maybe for this case, only the first active communications relay found on a base is the ping source.

Not going to deny it is, but it is still worth considering how gameplay is effected when you assign two functions to one device.

My CRs' use is a little of both; easiest is to say it's for RP reasons. If the protagonist were me, I'd built CRs everywhere to ascertain I won't miss a single message and get to them the moment they arrive. I like to build bases with the mindset of a survivor desperate for a chance at conctact.