What happened to wrecks?

HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
Fragments in wrecks are either EXTRA bugged or they are random now, completely. Sure other fragments aren't that random like small cargo boxes in safe shallow always have seaglide and same cargo boxes in crash zone always have propulsion canon. But I started a new run in current stable, pod was right next to pod 6 and the wreck there, exiting pod from lower hatch I could see both. First time I went there I walked out with massive haul, I got stasis rifle, bioreactor, mobile vehicle bay some furniture then passed to the wreck on the way to Aurora and I was nearly set with all essentials. By in game day 7 list of things I didn't have was shorter then things I already did. I didn't have any stuff from floating island since I avoided going there that early but aside from that I only didn't get my hands on nuclear reactor, moonpool and scanner room and I was one piece short of full cyclops.

On the other hand those tent like wrecks near Aurora that have 1-3 supply boxes were... shall we say "sparse" there were a total of 2. Felt weird... so I restarted. Spawned pretty close to previous spawn location but what a damn difference in fragments. I visited some of the "bigger" wrecks already and they are bloody BARREN. The huge wreck in sea threaders path didn't have a single damn fragment just furniture. Few more were exactly the same 1-2 fragments. Only 2 out of about 6 had stuff, they had a lot of it... but it was the exact same selection.

So my question is. Are the wreck fragments completely random now?

Edit:

Just passed wreck in mushroom forest that's impaled on top... same story furniture and planets are there, picture frames sure, flood lights sure, pda that didn't glow but still there... NOT ONE fragment and 2 wrecks north of it... same story. 3 Large wrecks later I finally found one that had fragments... prawn fragments I already have prawn... and propulsion cannon... which I also have and then I saw prawn torpedo arm! Never have I been so excited... I'm either visiting wrecks that have stuff I already got and game isn't even spawning it(same as deleting cache files) or it's been broken or it's random in a VERY BAD way.

Comments

• cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    I think the fragments have just been spread out a lot more. Lots of them now seem to be outside of wrecks. I've found quite a few in some of the debris piles, for instance. I also had to search FOREVER to find the water filtration this time. Finally discovered that they moved it to a more story driven location.

I do get the feeling that wrecks don't seem to have many of the more targeted fragments in them anymore. I think the only one I can clearly remember only seeing in a wreck now are the prawn upgrades (torpedo arm, grappling arm, etc.). Still haven't found the drill arm, though, so I'm wondering if it really is randomized to the point of "might not exist" now...
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    I think the fragments have just been spread out a lot more. Lots of them now seem to be outside of wrecks. I've found quite a few in some of the debris piles, for instance. I also had to search FOREVER to find the water filtration this time. Finally discovered that they moved it to a more story driven location.

I do get the feeling that wrecks don't seem to have many of the more targeted fragments in them anymore. I think the only one I can clearly remember only seeing in a wreck now are the prawn upgrades (torpedo arm, grappling arm, etc.). Still haven't found the drill arm, though, so I'm wondering if it really is randomized to the point of "might not exist" now...
    The drill arm is in the Dunes wreck.
  • cdaragorncdaragorn Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212685Members
    @Rezca Thanks for the tip! I've actually been there once already, but I'll go check again.
    cdaragorn wrote: »
    @Rezca Thanks for the tip! I've actually been there once already, but I'll go check again.

The wreck is split into three segments from what I saw last time; one room had several behind a welded door, the other rooms had reactors and other assorted not-prawn stuff.
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    edited December 2016
    Actually it seems there is a problem with fragment loading. I've trolled wrecks to get them to duplicate and some of them finally spawned stuff. Think I got 3 large wrecks that I haven't harassed yet(one that I've been to but it was empty) and I'm missing water filtration, alien containment and scanner room. From things that I can remember of the top of my head at least. But there definitely seem to be some randomness involved now when it comes to fragments. Furniture, flood lights, picture frames, pots, lightstick, placeble items all seem to be there but the rest... one time you see stasis rifle in every box another time you don't. Stasis rifle in my current attempt to battle wrecks has been one of the dead last blueprints I got and I've literally only seen 3 pieces. I'm really worried about fragments that only show up in wrecks and never in the wild... those could be anywhere from impossible to nearly impossible to get in the current stable.

Or a possibility that when you get close to a cell fragments load before wreck and terrain collision and they just fall right through. You can sometimes get that to happen with wrecks that are perched above something and you transition a lot, all of a sudden you see all the stuff inside spilling out.
  • JarinJarin Los Angeles Join Date: 2013-12-16 Member: 190184Members
    edited December 2016
    Didn't find a single fragment of a Moonpool for ages. Managed to get a Cyclops up and running without finding any. Finally cheated my butt off to locate the possible wrecks... and get to the wreck down in the great reef (way the flip down deep in the southwest). Know what I find? literally 20+ moonpool fragments. Nothing but all the moonpool fragments. Wreck packed to the gills with moonpool fragments.

Yeah, I think randomization is a tad borked this build. XD

Edit: I still have yet to find a single Modification Station fragment.
    That has been my experience as well... bioreactors and mobile vehicle bay were the only parts I saw repeatedly at different places. Finally found scanner room in DGR a few hundred of them and wreck isn't even duplicated... just as many cyclops pressure compensators... and I finally found another piece of alien containment too! there were only about 4 of there there tho but still yay!

One more wreck left... 0 water filtration fragments. Found two nuclear reactor fragments in the wild should probably try finding more. Wikia is already really off on wrecks even things like pda's.

Only one place I remember that had modification station -_-... tho admitedly vehicle modification console I got as one of my first blueprints. So many things were limited to just one place and they were vital things too... moonpool isn't something that should be just at one place. Tsk
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    HiSaZuL wrote: »
    One more wreck left... 0 water filtration fragments. Found two nuclear reactor fragments in the wild should probably try finding more. Wikia is already really off on wrecks even things like pda's.

Haven't checked the entire map, but I didn't find a single filtration fragment either. I suspect that might be intentional and that you are required to follow the Degasi crew to get one. That said, having only one to scan in the entire game is a tad unbalanced.
    Yeah... I checked all wrecks and spent a few hours roaming sparse reef, assuming they still spawn there and I got jack. No big base, no cyclops decided to wing it and finally use seaglide for something other then collecting dust. Parked my seamoth just over 300m, first pressure upgrade you find, then bolted down there with nothing but a beer in my hand and 2 high capacity tanks... collected everything in 2 runs :P and got my water filtration system too.

I suppose on one hand I finally had a use for seaglide and it was a pretty interesting way of doing it, then again I could have used my locker full of air pipes there should be enough pipes for about 400-500m. Could have built cyclops too, I got enough mats or could have done the thing I did when I built a base there, making "way stations" and hopping from one to another. Oh well anyway I finally got everything and can go build a base, my shack under life pod has enough resources at this point for a fairly large start + cyclops. God I'm going to have a field day making a ton of boxes in cyclops and moving all my junk to a new spot.

Anyway really hope UWE fixes wrecks soon, them duplicating was weird enough, not spawning was pushing it now this... ughh I really don't want newer people finding all this out the hard way.
  • GRAW2ROBZGRAW2ROBZ Join Date: 2016-12-23 Member: 225373Members
    Yeah when this first came out on XBOX1 finding stuff was close by and I found tons of everything. But with recent update and mentioned best to start over new file. Now things are farther away and deep. Old days I had two seamoth's. Now i'm still trying to find the blueprint to build one. Only thing I lucked out on back then was solar panel. Also this update I found the cell charger super fast.

But still cant find the battery charger yet. I did score a chair and all the desks and benches and garbage can to decorate my base though. But recent update the lag is real. It gets me sea sick. Does lights scare creatures away? Cant remember if the old build my flashlight scared stuff away or not. This time around didn't build flashlight yet. Was gonna mount up them tiny lights or flood lights.
  • GoretogGoretog UK Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216082Members
    I found Modification Station fragments ion the Koosh Werk...
  • starkaosstarkaos Join Date: 2016-03-31 Member: 215139Members
    Found a Water Filtration Machine in one of the Abandoned Underwater Bases. I think it was the Jellyshroom base and not their next base, but can't confirm it right now since I use Experimental and huge portions of the world seems to have been removed, but that is what you get when you play on Experimental.
    There was a water filt at DGR seabase since like forever. Did they remove it from there on experimental? You are never really told about jellyshroom seabase DGR base sure... so I don't see the reasoning.
    There was a water filt at DGR seabase since like forever. Did they remove it from there on experimental? You are never really told about jellyshroom seabase DGR base sure... so I don't see the reasoning.

A while back you used to be told about the Jellyshroom base. I can't remember when it was added then later removed, but in experimental for a while you'd get a SIgnal - and some nutrient blocks - after a few days and it'd direct you straight to the abandoned base as a "Heat Signature".

Still there as of last week. It is possible that it will be the only Water Filtration Machine fragment in the game. The devs could set up the Degasi bases as a mandatory story location since there is an Orange Artifact in the Deep Grand Reef Base. All they need to do is make it easier to know how to go from Lifepod to Floating Island to Jellyshroom Base to Deep Grand Reef Base.

The devs could set it up so absolutely important fragments are found in story mission locations, semi-important fragments found in wrecks are found near Lifepods like what they did with the Lifepod 17 signal, and unnecessary fragments could be found in random wrecks or with the more important fragments. The game should be set up so we don't need to rely on a guide or spend hours looking for a specific fragment. Lifepod signals and the Degasi coordinates are methods of introducing guided exploration for those that need it. If the Jellyshroom Base is the only place where the Water Filtration Fragment exists, then I can either head there directly without visiting the Floating Island or I can go along for the ride with the story missions to obtain the Water Filtration Machine.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    If you visit the Degasi base in the Jelly Shroom caves, there's a filtration fragment there.
    The latest Experimental update seems to have change how fragments are located. I just found Stasis Rifle and Reinforced Diving Suit fragments by the 3 bases on Floater Island, a Nuclear Reactor fragment located inside the Jellyshroom Base and various other fragments located around each of the abandoned bases. There is an Aquarium inside the Deep Grand Reef Base, but it doesn't seem to be scannable at the moment.
    Sounds like a good way to go about it imo. Now if once you got blueprint, fragment for that particular item would give random base resources needed for it instead of 2 titanium... now that would be awesome. You can get stuff from the sea floor, small wrecks, large wrecks and seabases... and fragments aren't useless once you scan them. Win/win imo plus imagine posibility of getting silver/quartz from all the stuff that has micro chips/wiring kits etc.
    Sounds like a good way to go about it imo. Now if once you got blueprint, fragment for that particular item would give random base resources needed for it instead of 2 titanium... now that would be awesome. You can get stuff from the sea floor, small wrecks, large wrecks and seabases... and fragments aren't useless once you scan them. Win/win imo plus imagine posibility of getting silver/quartz from all the stuff that has micro chips/wiring kits etc.

How about 2 random resources that are ingredients in whatever the fragment is for?
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

How about 2 random resources that are ingredients in whatever the fragment is for?

Resources or Raw Resources? So if I scan a Power Cell Charger should it have a chance to drop Computer Chip, Wiring Kit, Glass, and Titanium or Silver Ore, Quartz, and Titanium? Table Coral Sample was ignored due to it being an organic material from Planet 4546B and not something that was used in manufacturing the equipment on the Aurora.
    I was suggesting base resources :P it wouldn't be all that helpful getting 10 microchips whine you just wanted silver. And yeah ignore anything made of organics even lubricant, it would just be weird.
    I was suggesting base resources :P it wouldn't be all that helpful getting 10 microchips whine you just wanted silver. And yeah ignore anything made of organics even lubricant, it would just be weird.

And pointless. No one has ever complained about trying to find Acid Mushrooms, Creepvine Samples, or Table Coral Samples. Although, I would probably limit which base resources can be obtained this way. We certainly don't need more Diamonds from Prawn Exosuit Drilling Arm fragments and Gold from Power Transmitter, Moon Pool, Prawn Suit Grappling Arm, Exosuit Thermal Reactor, Cyclops, Propulsion Cannon, and Stasis Rifle fragments.
    Probably better to have raw materials, except organics. However, put in a very small chance of getting an actual component, to make things interesting (1/10 tries?).
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I believe signals are supposed to help find wrecks (and their fragments), etc. - Who knows when they will work properly though.
    Racer1 wrote: »
    I believe signals are supposed to help find wrecks (and their fragments), etc. - Who knows when they will work properly though.

They do. You have to equip them beside your head. And if there is an item in both slots beside the head, you have to de-equip one of those first. Needs work, but it does function with a bit of trouble on the player's part.