Should you get teeth from killing stalkers?

SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
edited December 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Personally I find it annoying that you can't harvest the stalkers teeth when you killed it.

Comments

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I would be logical to get teeth from dead stalkers. Then again you might wonder how fast these teeth are regrowing from living stalkers and think that you shouldn't get endless teeth from living stalkers.

Of course there's nothing to decide, as killing to get teeth is probably against the devs weapon use guidelines.
  • SnowballSniperSnowballSniper Join Date: 2016-12-02 Member: 224443Members
    I did an experiment, where I would spawn a stalker tooth every time I killed one of the stalkers. I managed to get all the teeth I needed to build the cyclops, but it was very easy.

The stalkers should have more health if this idea was put in the game.
  • IlexLegionIlexLegion Join Date: 2016-09-21 Member: 222475Members
    it should be a percentage chance. Maybe a 30% chance that a stalker drops teeth when it dies.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I think it subtracts from the more alternative method of coexisting with the environment. A few other reasons, but mostly that.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Take a drill arm to a Stalker chewing some metal. Careful not to kill 'im. Every once in a while they let off a shower of teeth. I think because they pickup / drop the scrap metal like 15x in a second cause your drill arm is confusing them? Not sure exactly how to reproduce this but I've done it 3 or 4 times, so it's not a fluke.
    edited December 2016
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Take a drill arm to a Stalker chewing some metal. Careful not to kill 'im. Every once in a while they let off a shower of teeth. I think because they pickup / drop the scrap metal like 15x in a second cause your drill arm is confusing them? Not sure exactly how to reproduce this but I've done it 3 or 4 times, so it's not a fluke.
    I don't want to use game exploits.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    That's not an exploit, you're just rattling the teeth loose from his skull! Makes sense to me! /s :lol:
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

I bred several stalkers in an alien containment tank, then let all the now-friendly stalkers loose next to my base. There happened to be one piece of scrap metal next to my base, and the next thing I knew there were stalker teeth raining everywhere. Friendly Stalkers = good
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members

I bred several stalkers in an alien containment tank, then let all the now-friendly stalkers loose next to my base. There happened to be one piece of scrap metal next to my base, and the next thing I knew there were stalker teeth raining everywhere. Friendly Stalkers = good

Don't they revert to their default (hostile) AI once you release them though?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Stab fish
    >Its teeth fall out
    >"Logical"

Hmm.

I'd rather collect them from the backs of Sea Turtles and make the sea turtles my friends.
    >Stab fish
    >Its teeth fall out
    >"Logical"

you should be able to harvest the stalker when you killed it.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Stab fish
    >Its teeth fall out
    >"Logical"

you should be able to harvest the stalker when you killed it.

If you stab it in the mouth maybe
    edited December 2016
    Rezca wrote: »

Don't they revert to their default (hostile) AI once you release them though?

Noticing the 'Disagree' left on my comment I decided to go in and test this; maybe they changed that since I last played. The last time I played with eggs, if you hatched a monster and then released it, it'd revert to its normal size and default AI - and thus typically attacking you shortly afterwards. So I launch a new game and give this a go and find neither point is true anymore. They retain their small size AND retain their passive nature. I really was wrong then xD

That's awesome, since I'd been asking for that ever since hatching monsters was a thing. I wouldn't have known this otherwise, since I haven't been able to manage to play long enough to obtain the Alien Containment before crashes set in :/
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    >Stab fish
    >Its teeth fall out
    >"Logical"

Hmm.

I'd rather collect them from the backs of Sea Turtles and make the sea turtles my friends.

Sorry to disagree with you, but it's only logical that when you kill an animal, you have all the time harvesting everything from it with some tools, like your knife. In real life this has been done quite successfully, leading to the near of full extinction of several animal races, like whales and others. So this is probably the reason why it's not used in a game that is proud to be a more peaceful game. Otherwise this game would give you all kinds of lethal weapons to kill all creatures and harvest them for valuable resources, like those teeth. Because other survival games allow you to kill animals and harvest their resources / loot their body. Some survival games even let you learn harvesting animals skills, like skinning or pulling teeth.

This game however has decided against this kind of natural human survival strategy. I don't like it, because I can distinguish between harvesting only what I need like an indian ... and going on a shooter-like mass killing or mass harvesting like a greedy company would do until all life is extinct. But I accept the laws of the game the devs have set up.
    edited December 2016

That's awesome, since I'd been asking for that ever since hatching monsters was a thing. I wouldn't have known this otherwise, since I haven't been able to manage to play long enough to obtain the Alien Containment before crashes set in :/

by the way, does anyone think the alien containment should be available sooner? I get that it is potentially very powerful in early game play (reginald farm, anyone?), but I feel like it's also an amazing option for base ambiance, studying creatures, and getting to know the environment of the world better. TBH I'll probably be lucky if it doesn't get moved deeper, considering how survival has been made more challenging in the past few updates. :/

by the way, does anyone think the alien containment should be available sooner? I get that it is potentially very powerful in early game play (reginald farm, anyone?), but I feel like it's also an amazing option for base ambiance, studying creatures, and getting to know the environment of the world better. TBH I'll probably be lucky if it doesn't get moved deeper, considering how survival has been made more challenging in the past few updates. :/

I'm not sure if the Deep Grand Reef is the best place to stick it, but I guess it's better than the ILZ/LR or Dunes :)
    Maybe sticking some of it in the shallower portions of the Blood Kelp so it could be gotten by deep-diving from the Seamoth's 200m limit, but would be risky to obtain prior to getting the depth upgrades though not impossible.
  • Julian1337331nailuJJulian1337331nailuJ The Grand Reef Gubtorial Election Or Something. Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223824Members
    Its The Greatest Idea I Know! Also. The Percentages When Added Together Add Up To 99%.

You can get the Interior Growbed and tons of Marble Melons, Lantern Fruit, and Chinese Potatoes as soon as you get to the Floating Island.

I don't think having the Alien Containment available sooner will make Survival too easy.

You can get the Interior Growbed and tons of Marble Melons, Lantern Fruit, and Chinese Potatoes as soon as you get to the Floating Island.

I don't think having the Alien Containment available sooner will make Survival too easy.

Except the planter-based food can't be cured and they give very little Food/Water now, compared to what one or two fish can give. That's the only thing I can really think of that might warrant it being put later in the game, because once you have it and a Water Filteration machine, food's no longer an issue.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Can I get one to fall out every time they bite me in the butt instead? I get surprised by those buggers enough I'd never need to even think about hunting them this way >.>
    A lot of people don't want to get teeth just because it means you have to kill a animal. This says a lot about this community I joined recently.
    edited December 2016
    A lot of people don't want to get teeth just because it means you have to kill a animal. This says a lot about this community I joined recently.

personally, I don't want the teeth-drop thing to be added because I like the coexistence vibe the game has going on. I think learning to use and live with creatures in new ways is an interesting and different development on the part of UWE. I also think that the "harvest animals" trope is one exceptionally common to survival games. In fact, one of the first things I did when I got the knife was go out and kill a stalker to A) prove my manliness and B ) to see what drops I could get from it. Though bemused at first, I have come to accept and enjoy the playstyle of the game. Even though harvesting teeth does make logical sense, I think I'd like to see where the innovative "coexist" playstyle will lead us. It is a new development that makes this game fresh and fun to play.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I agree that it should be a chanced thing. 40% chance of tooth and 60% of not getting something
  • KrayZSamuraiKrayZSamurai Canada Join Date: 2017-02-16 Member: 227975Members
    Killing creatures (aside from the annoying AF parasites such as Biters, Cave Crawlers, and Bleeders) is against the game, really. Why do you think they didn't hand you a weapon other than a survival knife? You COULD kill a creature, but you gain nothing from them because it wasn't in the purpose of the game to kill creatures in the first place. It's not like in Far Cry.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    edited March 2017
    Some requested something about KILLING!!
    MUST NOT RA- IH SCREW IT!
    1313440823492.png
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    edited March 2017
    Why do they have to die? Slam into them with a Seamoth, knock a tooth loose. Punch them with a PRAWN, knock a tooth loose.

Doesn't make sense either way, I've harvested so many things, and weird limits on what they drop is probably just best accepted for best gameplay flow.
  • BlackMagicianJDBlackMagicianJD England, UK Join Date: 2017-03-16 Member: 228975Members
    I think you should be able to harvest everything from everything. When something dies or is killed, you should be able to use your knife to fillet and butcher (is fish butchered?) it... so teeth, meat, bones etc...

Maybe the meat could be used as a resource to make food bars or bait for bigger fish, the bones for spears to be fired from some kind of O2 cannon, and the teeth from stalkers for reinforced glass etc...
  • PlacoPlaco Germany Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228959Members
    I would say yes.
    The coexistence vibe is all nice, but it puzzles me that its ok and part of the game to kill lots of edible fish, or squeeze the water out of bladderfish, but for some reason eating predators is not.
    I dont really mind that, but I also think it just doesn't really make sense. Maybe as a compromise you should get teeth if you bump into them with a vehicle or attack them with a knife (without killing them). Do stalkers respawn btw.? If not there would also be a drawback if you continue murdering all of them.