What Will Release Look Like?

ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
It's always nice to plan ahead... but right now I am unsure where Subnautica has to be before release... or if release is anywhere close to being here.

I think it'd help for us to have an infographic or some sort of information regarding what release would look like and what features need to be there fore an official release.

Also, for sake of conversation, what do you personally think they should get done before launch?

Comments

• Morph_GuyMorph_Guy Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216034Members
    They have a roadmap on trello that lists what they want to get done before release: https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

There is also a "For v1.0" list on the development trello https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Morph_Guy wrote: »
    They have a roadmap on trello that lists what they want to get done before release: https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

There is also a "For v1.0" list on the development trello https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development

I can hardly make rhyme or reason from Trello, hence why I tend not to use it... the setup just confuses me.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

I can hardly make rhyme or reason from Trello, hence why I tend not to use it... the setup just confuses me.

You're not alone.
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    In my experience, release is always really freakin close to beta. Despite any amount of plans, or high hopes, release is always just beta with kinks worked out. At best.

SN seems about the same. They're not cranking out area after area and adding base systems, they're just filling in and polishing. I don't expect a single new sub or combat system anytime soon, if ever. That seems fine, IMO.

So hopefully, they'll crank out the story, and at 1.0, it will be complete and playable. If we're really lucky, it won't even get pushed back a couple months, because things almost always happen.
    edited November 2016

Trello can be confusing at first.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    Pretty much the same as it does now but with more fish, more plants, more building parts, and more objective based gameplay when it comes to scanning all the flora and fauna.

Really, I'd love if they put more time and effort towards the whole "scanning" mechanic, I'd love if they even got to a point where you get to scan the same species many times. A few scans for a breed in one biome, a few scans for a slightly different breed in another biome. They don't even have to look different, it'd just be the fun of going around and categorizing the life on the planet.
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    (XB1) I only care about one thing... performance. Well, two things, really, frame rate and pop in. Of those two, FRAME RATE! I could live with no new features and even another drop in graphics, if that's what it may take.
    Hopefully when the optimizations hit they'll fix the problem. But if not, at least they'll know that there's another issue draining performance (memory leak, bug) and be able to hunt for it then.
    edited November 2016
    I'd like it if they added more fish and also made more of the current fish more biome specific. Right now you can usually find most of the same fish in every biome.
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    I'd like it if they added more fish and also made more of the current fish more biome specific. Right now you can usually find most of the same fish in every biome.

They've touched on biome specific fish with the oculus and peeper, ghost and crimson rays and all lava zone variations, but I see what you mean. It would be awesome to find completely different fish depending on biome, like you find in the Lost River.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited November 2016
    Jamezorg wrote: »

They've touched on biome specific fish with the oculus and peeper, ghost and crimson rays and all lava zone variations, but I see what you mean. It would be awesome to find completely different fish depending on biome, like you find in the Lost River.

It's much cheaper to produce variants of fish rather than a whole new fish.

A variation of fish would require only re-texturing and coloring and maybe a bit of AI modification.

A whole new fish would require new models, new textures, new colors, new AI, new sound effects, and implementation into the system of AI that already exists. So I would understand if most fish in other biomes are variants.

I personally would want them to work on fish AI and interaction, and population and such, rather than just adding new fish, especially as launch nears.
    I personally would want them to work on fish AI and interaction, and population and such, rather than just adding new fish, especially as launch nears.

Oh yea, definitely. All I'm really saying is that after launch they should maybe start to think about making the world feel more like a living, breathing ecosystem, where different creatures have evolved to endure certain environments. Like our world! The one thing I want Subnautica to be (and so far it has delivered) is a representation of a realistic, thriving ocean with different types of fish and such. I do love survival, and I love the story so much, but what I'm looking for, and what I've found here, is a world. A real world.
    I saw a while ago someone wondering if there were going to be any larger, grouper-sized fish in game swimming at the tops of the Kelp Forest, and, since that would make the game feel more like a real world, I immediately liked that idea.

It's the same thing. I'd love to see different fish in different environments. Take for example the deep sea. We don't see mackerel swimming down there, but with a different set of scales to match the environment and maybe bigger eyes to see. Surely there are some examples of this, but not on such a massive scale as the ILZ. The Oculus was great, I loved that thing.

But I'm rambling. I just hope they add a wider variety of fish, like bigger fish, and smaller fish that swim through the corals, and different fish that could swim around in the deep sea. Maybe just personal wishes, I know a lot of people would rather the devs focus on the survival and story aspects of the game, but wishes none the less.

Oh yea, definitely. All I'm really saying is that after launch they should maybe start to think about making the world feel more like a living, breathing ecosystem, where different creatures have evolved to endure certain environments. Like our world! The one thing I want Subnautica to be (and so far it has delivered) is a representation of a realistic, thriving ocean with different types of fish and such. I do love survival, and I love the story so much, but what I'm looking for, and what I've found here, is a world. A real world.
    I saw a while ago someone wondering if there were going to be any larger, grouper-sized fish in game swimming at the tops of the Kelp Forest, and, since that would make the game feel more like a real world, I immediately liked that idea.

It's the same thing. I'd love to see different fish in different environments. Take for example the deep sea. We don't see mackerel swimming down there, but with a different set of scales to match the environment and maybe bigger eyes to see. Surely there are some examples of this, but not on such a massive scale as the ILZ. The Oculus was great, I loved that thing.

But I'm rambling. I just hope they add a wider variety of fish, like bigger fish, and smaller fish that swim through the corals, and different fish that could swim around in the deep sea. Maybe just personal wishes, I know a lot of people would rather the devs focus on the survival and story aspects of the game, but wishes none the less.

What I would love to see is Spadefish swimming on top of Reefbacks. Given that Spadefish have one eye on top, it would make sense for them to go to a Reefback and produce a community of fish there because the Reefback covers the bottom. Then Spadefish can occupy areas that the Reefbacks migrate to, which can lead to different variants of Spadefish or an explanation at least.

I'm still waiting for Sandsharks to bury themselves under the sands. Right now they're just a creepier Stalker.

Still waiting for Bleeders to come in swarms like underwater mosquitoes, inhabiting larger, more central creepvines.

Still waiting for Biters to come in groups of five or more.

Still waiting for eggs to be in places that make sense, or to have a defense of some sort. Hidden, poisonous, buried, numerous... something.

So yeah I would prefer to have fish that we have NOW to be finished before moving on to adding more. Polish to me is more important.
    edited November 2016

It's much cheaper to produce variants of fish rather than a whole new fish.

A variation of fish would require only re-texturing and coloring and maybe a bit of AI modification.

A whole new fish would require new models, new textures, new colors, new AI, new sound effects, and implementation into the system of AI that already exists. So I would understand if most fish in other biomes are variants.

Even if they didn't add new fish I would still like it if they at least made some the current small fish more biome/region specific so that you don't see almost the almost all of same fish in most biomes like you do right now
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    Question to those who want region-specific edible fish: how do you propose the matter of keeping them is handled? Will you remain able to stuff any in the fish in an alien containment unit or aquarium as it is now or do you want restrictions?
    edited November 2016
    Maybe the fish would only breed in the Alien Containment if you had plants from the area that the fish is from.

I would be fine if they kept it the way it is though.
  • bwc153bwc153 Shawnee, KS, US Join Date: 2016-02-29 Member: 213659Members
    For those basing off the classic Alpha/Beta terminology, do remember that Subnautica is using the Agile development method and not the traditional Waterfall method, so a lot of the polish is being done as something is completed, with the polish towards 1.0 release being to catch stuff that slipped through the cracks or was seen as lower priority to fix than to add more features.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Greybeard wrote: »
    (XB1) I only care about one thing... performance. Well, two things, really, frame rate and pop in. Of those two, FRAME RATE! I could live with no new features and even another drop in graphics, if that's what it may take.

This. There's quite a lot I want to see in-game and flawless (story implementation, more fauna variety, etc) but if the game released with none of those things, but was optimized so it doesn't run like a potato the moment I get close to the Lost River or get in the seamoth or change biomes or..... or have pop-in issues I'd be happy.
    If Subnautica isn't 1.0 ready at release time, release time needs to be delayed. Both a lack of polish as well as poor performance will harm 1.0 sales performance and reviews (and so the future of the game), but of the two, performance is worse. But personally I wouldn't think the devs would release with either missing polish OR poor performance.
    edited November 2016
    I really hope they take their time fixing all of the bugs to make sure that everything is polished as much as possible on release.
    I don't want them to release it as soon as possible only to find out they missed a bug they need to patch out.
  • GreybeardGreybeard USA Join Date: 2016-09-24 Member: 222538Members
    edited November 2016
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    If Subnautica isn't 1.0 ready at release time, release time needs to be delayed. Both a lack of polish as well as poor performance will harm 1.0 sales performance and reviews (and so the future of the game), but of the two, performance is worse. But personally I wouldn't think the devs would release with either missing polish OR poor performance.

Yep! 7 Days to Die got hammered in the reviews when it was released for XB1/PS4. Granted, TT and IG were more to blame for the state of release, but TFP should have known better. The idea was to tie up loose ends of the alpha 14 build and release it as finished product. Great idea, I was excited! Then it released... it tarnished the name of everyone involved. Read reviews, visit forums-- it got panned hard, and for what, early sales? It HAD to have hurt sales for the game and sales of future products.

Yes, people complain about waiting, but I'd rather wait - little longer than be completely disgusted with the state of the release. I have no idea about how the devs of Subnautica handle their reputation or finances, their outlook on the video game industry, or their relationship with their customer base; I only know I think it would be sad to see a truly great and fresh game like Subnautica squander it's opportunity to be a huge success and for gamers to get to experience it.

Bit off topic, yes, but too bad!
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Maybe the fish would only breed in the Alien Containment if you had plants from the area that the fish is from.

I'd love it if they'd simply strip out the bottom model from the Alien Containment. It is really weird to plant a bunch of ghost-kelp and have the safe shallows bottom around it.
    edited November 2016
    Avimimus wrote: »

I'd love it if they'd simply strip out the bottom model from the Alien Containment. It is really weird to plant a bunch of ghost-kelp and have the safe shallows bottom around it.

Yeah, they should just take that coral rock out and make it a another spot to place plants.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    Greybeard wrote: »
    I have no idea about how the devs of Subnautica handle their reputation or finances, their outlook on the video game industry, or their relationship with their customer base; I only know I think it would be sad to see a truly great and fresh game like Subnautica squander it's opportunity to be a huge success and for gamers to get to experience it.

Bit off topic, yes, but too bad!

Of all the early release games I've played the devs for Subnautica listen to their fanbase the most. There's really only two developers that I've participated in early release cycles and gotten to actually talk with the devs, they are really community oriented and have a great relationship with its early access community. I would absolutely hate for that to get squandered by a rushed launch.
    Ralij wrote: »
    [
    Of all the early release games I've played the devs for Subnautica listen to their fanbase the most. There's really only two developers that I've participated in early release cycles and gotten to actually talk with the devs, they are really community oriented and have a great relationship with its early access community. I would absolutely hate for that to get squandered by a rushed launch.

I wouldn't care if this game was fully released in summer to be honest. I would just like it to become the game we all want it to be rather than a game that we wanted, so they released it prematurely and had to patch it after release to satisfy people. That isn't how you do it, and all of the games that have tried to do this have failed. Subnautica is the one game I don't want to see that happen to. The game I really don't want to see that happen to.
    edited November 2016
    If there ever is a patch after release it should be new content, not bugfixes or polish, that stuff goes before release.