Turrets and Base Defenses

04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
edited October 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Assuming that there will eventually be creatures wanting to attack our bases, (Hell, Stalkers will already swim right up and yank the cameras off of our Scanner Rooms) this thread is for discussion on possible tools to ward them off and keep them away. Before you start crying "But Leonhardt this is supposed to be a nonviolent game!" Firstly I would like to introduce you to my friend Mr. Reaper T. Leviathan and his opinion on violence.

Secondly, all defensive implements discussed within this thread will be nonlethal technologies, or specially trained/genetically modified natural flora and fauna.

1. Flora
>Domesticated Tiger Plant
I see a lot of potential in the Tiger Plant as a defensive emplacement. Only problem is, when you grow one from a wild Tiger Plant seed, it is hostile to you as well. Which is why I suggest that growing a Tiger Plant using Sea Treader Dung would make it more docile, lowering its firing rate, but keeping it from attacking the player, allowing it to be used as a very basic biological turret. High rate of fire, low damage, low accuracy

>Spine Tentacle
A concept for the Lost River biome, a large, tentacle-like carnivorous plant that swings and stabs the end of its sharp stem at anything that gets near. In the same manner as the Domesticated Tiger Plant, growing it in a bed with Sea Treader Dung would make it docile, but lower its attack capability. Melee attack, average attack speed.

>Spore Launcher
Another concept I had for the Lost River or Ghost Forest, the Spore Launcher would be a mutant Acid Mushroom, which has evolved a mechanism to launch its highly acidic spores in order to reproduce, defend itself, and fertilize itself by killing creatures and letting their bodies decompose into the soil. Would come in Acid Shroom and Deep Shroom flavors. Long range, slow rate of fire, lingering acid damage.

>Needle Thicket
A hardy, solid rose bush like plant made of many, many spiky branches grown into a thick, tall thicket. Creatures (And players) are injured on contact with the Needle Thicket, making it an effective barricade. Makes a sturdy wall when grown next to one another.

2. Turrets
>Torpedo Turret
A Torpedo system mounted to a robotic turret. Comes pre-loaded with 2x Vortex Torpedoes, but can be loaded with any type of torpedo. Uses Scanner data to target creatures, allowing you to select specific targets you wish to defend against. Runs off of Base power. Has 4 barrels for 4 total torpedoes.

>Gravity Turret
Basically a Current Generator/Repulsion Gun mounted to a robotic turret. Will activate automatically whenever a large enough creature draws near, then use part of your base's power to gently shoo them away with a strong, gravity powered current blast. Like the Torpedo Turret, uses Scanner data to defend against specific threats.

>Propulsion Turret
A Propulsion Cannon mounted to a robotic turret. Can use any item as ammo. Ammo is loaded into a storage compartment inside the seabase it is attached to. Can fire any item, including other creatures. So you can make it a gun that shoots Peepers at other Peepers. Runs off of Base Power. Uses Scanner Data to target specific creatures.

>Stasis Turret
A more powerful Stasis rifle mounted to a robotic turret. Instead of a slow moving ball, it fires an instantaneous laser which explodes into a stasis containment field on impact, instantly immobilizing the target. Runs off of base power. Uses Scanner Data to target creatures.

3. Mines
>"Blinker" Strobe Flash Mine
A floating mine made up of little more than a beacon with several flashlights attached. Will flash aggressively when a creature approaches, startling those sensitive to light, like Peepers, or Bone Sharks. Runs off of a Power Cell. Requires Peeper and Mesmer Data

>"Beeper" Sonic Mine
A floating sonic mine that regularly emits a subsonic pulse to keep creatures at bay. Emits a low, deep "Boom" and creates a visual pulsating effect in the water around it. Runs off of a Power Cell, located on its underside. Requires Reefback and Bone Shark Data

>"Mjolnir" Shock Mine
A floating electric mine that releases a powerful energy burst whenever a creature comes near. Powerful, but has a long recharge time and a limited number of charges, making it more useful as a last line of defense. Runs off of a Power Cell. Requires Ampeel and Sand Shark Data

>"Stinker" Gas Mine
Using a mechanism similar to the one on a Gasopod's buttocks, generates and releases several poisonous Gas Pods that burst after a short time, creating a dense poison cloud. Runs off a Power Cell. Requires Gasopod and Stalker Data

>"Faker" Predatory Impersonation Mine
A sneaky little device that can scare off almost any creature without fail by mimicking the loud roar of a Reaper Leviathan. Requires a special Data Download "Monster" from one of the crashed lifepods as well as the Beeper Mine blueprint. WARNING: Might attract other Reaper Leviathans or even LARGER predators.

4. Torpedoes
>Volt Torpedo
A torpedo equipped with a battery to release a low power electric pulse to stun creatures, or to motivate them to leave the area when caught in its blast radius.

>Dazzle Torpedo
A Torpedo loaded with Titanium, Magnesium, and Crash Powder to create a dazzling white sparkle effect, luring creatures that are attracted to shiny things (Stalkers, Bone Sharks, Crab Squids) Creatures lured to the effect may fight over the rights to the dazzling shiny thing.

>Drill Torpedo
A reinforced Torpedo with a powerful drill head to bore into rock and break down resources from a distance, allowing a Seamoth to perform mining operations on large resource nodes. Does not explode, but instead pushes against its target as it digs in.

>Chum Torpedo
A torpedo loaded with minced fish meat (Namely a handful of Peepers) that explodes into a cloud of chunky red salsa, attracting predators from long range. Predators may fight each other over the meal.

5. SeaBase Modules
>Security Room
A reinforced structure with an integrated database of all Scanner data, as well as an interface for remote controlling Turrets installed on the base, similar to the Scanning room and its Camera Drones. Interface can be used to set Turret parameters on an individual basis. When controlling a Turret, use the Mouse to aim, and the mouse wheel to switch turrets on the fly.

>Tool Rack
A simple, wall mounted tool rack for displaying your trusty equipment. Not really specifically for security purposes, but can hold almost any tool, including security implements like Stasis Rifles and Propulsion Guns, out in the open for quick retrieval when a threat approaches.

>Scanner Room "Threat Detection Module"
An upgrade for the Scanner Room that allows it to detect and highlight hostile creatures the same way it does resources.

6. Player Equipment
>Portable Torpedo Launcher
A large, single tube man-portable Torpedo Launcher that can fire any type of Torpedo. Hit R while holding the Launcher to open the its interface and reload or swap out its current torpedo. Player stops moving for a second in order to fire the Launcher. Slows player Swim speed and causes them to sink when it is held out.

Whaddyathink? Too much? A lot of these are old ideas I brought back up since digging up their respective threads would be considered necromancy.
I really like the idea of using a Meat Torpedo to lure carnivores away from where you want to go, though.
And we definitely need a handheld Torpedo Launcher, even if it is heavy and unwieldy and only fires fart, vortex, meat, or sparkle torpedoes.

Comments

• dexter397dexter397 U.S.A. Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218486Members
    This sounds like a good idea but i doubt the debs will ever add some of this stuff, like the turrets, but it would be nice to have a tool rack to help with storage space when it comes to tools and equipment. The threat detection module could be done but would probably take a lot of coding to get it to work right. I have no opinion on the torpedo cause i do not use them anyways. That is my option on some of the stuff listed here (i did not want to talk about all of the stuff)
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members

>Domesticated Tiger Plant
    I see a lot of potential in the Tiger Plant as a defensive emplacement. Only problem is, when you grow one from a wild Tiger Plant seed, it is hostile to you as well. Which is why I suggest that growing a Tiger Plant using Sea Treader Dung would make it more docile, lowering its firing rate, but keeping it from attacking the player, allowing it to be used as a very basic biological turret. High rate of fire, low damage, low accuracy

>"Mjolnir" Shock Mine
    A floating electric mine that releases a powerful energy burst whenever a creature comes near. Powerful, but has a long recharge time and a limited number of charges, making it more useful as a last line of defense. Runs off of a Power Cell. Requires Ampeel and Sand Shark Data

I really like these 2. I remember trying to do that exact thing with tiger plants- to my immediate dismay! The electric mine idea is cool- a single use mine would be good, but how about a module that fits on seabases? Could work like the seamoth's shock defense system, but on a base to prevent anything getting too close.
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    I like building my base right next to the Aurora, which makes it hard when the Reaper spawns. This idea sounds great
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Mines are less than optimal because they're one-shot. Torpedos have been pretty useless every time that I used them.

I do think that tiger plants would be great base defenses. Grow beds, some hazardous seed harvesting, and have the grown plant be BIG- only 2 per grow bed. Also: probably much simpler to code. Tiger plants in grow beds just ignore player and subs, and their spikes don't damage the base by accident. Job done.

Aside from that, just a simple turret to push stuff away via water-jet, or gravity, or propulsion. The beauty of turrets is that you don't have to micromanage the targeting, so having to reload them manually would be dumb and bad.

Or, perhaps a base defense drone that uses Seamoth point defense AOE, and wanders around the base.

Tame critters would be interesting, as well. Breed up swarms of bone sharks, use a brain implant on them or something, and let them loose. They would tether to your base, and just wander around near it, attacking hostiles and little fish. Completely ineffective against anything larger than a shark, though.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    EvilSmoo wrote: »
    Mines are less than optimal because they're one-shot.
    The Beeper, Blinker, Mjolnir, and Faker mines would be reusable.
    Torpedos have been pretty useless every time that I used them.
    So we add more useful Torpedoes. the ability to create HOMING torpedoes by combining a torpedo with a Computer Chip at a Mod station would also help make them more practical.
    The beauty of turrets is that you don't have to micromanage the targeting, so having to reload them manually would be dumb and bad.
    Only turret you'd have to reload would be the Propulsion Cannon and Torpedo turrets, which could be done from inside the base. Of course they'd be automatic, though the option to control them would also be fun.
    Tame critters would be interesting, as well. Breed up swarms of bone sharks, use a brain implant on them or something, and let them loose. They would tether to your base, and just wander around near it, attacking hostiles and little fish. Completely ineffective against anything larger than a shark, though.

As long as the chip makes them shut the hell up. I get so damn sick of constantly hearing "HHHHHHHHHHHHHH" whenever I enter the Floating Islands or Shroom Forest biomes.
  • dashingbronzedashingbronze CA Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205096Members
    Game director has explained why they won't be adding guns, and I would guess no turrets either. The weapons that don't kill have the highest chance of being implemented. Article: http://kotaku.com/revulsion-with-real-guns-inspired-developer-to-make-a-g-1768960503
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Game director has explained why they won't be adding guns, and I would guess no turrets either.

I am fully aware of why they're not adding machine guns and laser rifles.
    And it has exactly nothing to do with sticking a Stasis Gun or Prop Cannon on a robotic arm on the outside of your base to freeze or push away critters that get too close.
    These are not weapons. They are base defenses. I would appreciate it if you did not try to derail the thread by insinuating that I am asking for machine guns and laser rifles when I put such detail into explaining how they would work.

So we add more useful Torpedoes. the ability to create HOMING torpedoes by combining a torpedo with a Computer Chip at a Mod station would also help make them more practical.
    The beauty of turrets is that you don't have to micromanage the targeting, so having to reload them manually would be dumb and bad.
    Only turret you'd have to reload would be the Propulsion Cannon and Torpedo turrets, which could be done from inside the base. Of course they'd be automatic, though the option to control them would also be fun.

As long as the chip makes them shut the hell up. I get so damn sick of constantly hearing "HHHHHHHHHHHHHH" whenever I enter the Floating Islands or Shroom Forest biomes.

Oh look, another person who can't string together a coherent post, responding to each sentence individually.
    Game director has explained why they won't be adding guns, and I would guess no turrets either. The weapons that don't kill have the highest chance of being implemented. Article: http://kotaku.com/revulsion-with-real-guns-inspired-developer-to-make-a-g-1768960503

I think that Tiger plants are quite a good candidate. No ammo to micromanage, natural source, effort involved to get the seeds. Maybe if you add different fertilizers, you could enhance them for a number of shots? Or just let them shoot standard spikes. And they're certainly not guns, and use existing models.

Tame ones just need to target a little better, not shoot you or your base, and not damage friendly buildings accidentally.

Size-wise, I think 1 or 2 per external planter would be most balanced?
  • SeaBuddySeaBuddy Join Date: 2016-09-22 Member: 222511Members
    I like the "must scan certain creatures to build" idea you used with the blinker mine. There should be other blueprints with that feature!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members

Oh look, another person who can't string together a coherent post, responding to each sentence individually.

Or just someone who wants anyone reading his post to be able to see in black and white what he was responding to. Not saying you would ever do such a thing, but I know I've seen others having the posts they responded to modified if they don't include the quote. Not sure if that's why or not, but just mentioning. :shrug:
    edited October 2016

Mmkay so you have nothing further to add?
    edited October 2016
    SeaBuddy wrote: »
    I like the "must scan certain creatures to build" idea you used with the blinker mine. There should be other blueprints with that feature!

Not just to build, but also to target.
    Turrets would be able to target a specific species, a selection of specific species, or all life forms.

Thus could also be integrated into the Scanner Room as well, allowing you to track the locations of nearby creatures that you have scanned, allowing you to remain aware, and therefore prepared for potential threats.

So like, you build a base in the Red Plains, scan a Sand Shark, and have the Scanner room beep you the locations of nearby sharks so you can watch out for them.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    edited November 2016

Horseless Headless Horsemann's Horseless Headless Horsemann's Headtaker?
    :smile: