Underwhelmed by PRAWN

2»

Comments

• Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    Thosar wrote: »
    I completely disagree that it breaks immersion in any way. If the captain of ANY existing marine vessel put to sea without charts he'd be drawn up on charges for gross negligence and probably lose his master's ticket.

Which is why I said not having any map in vehicles breaks immersion. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, I must have misread...
  • Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
    edited October 2016
    The basic claw arm can get a reaper to let you go relatively quickly,

...If you have it equipped. You can't get out to swap arms in the middle of a reaper attack. Which brings us back squarely to the "You need more arms than there are arm slots" problem.

Yeah but if you don't have the claw arm equipped, and you don't have the mining arm equipped (which will also get the reaper to let you go, just not quite as fast), then you've got some combination of a torpedo arm, a grappling arm, and a propulsion arm. The worst case is grappling plus propulsion or dual grappling (I can't imagine you're using dual propulsion for anything). You then have no offense while being carried, but you can get away quickly with the grappling arm as soon as it lets you go.

I honestly never use propulsion or torpedo arms. The basic claw is too useful, offense and picking things up. So the question I have for you I guess is... What combination are you hanging around in reaper areas with, that you can't beat on them while they carry you, and also can't get away immediately after the first attack?

Well, first of all, I didn't realize I'd strayed into reaper territory.
    I had the drill arm equipped because the whole point of the exercise was resource mining.
    And I had the grappling arm equipped because I'd just had to climb up a cliff too tall for thrusters alone.
    I could have fitted the grapple arm in place of the drill arm had I known that a claw arm was actually effective for combat, but as far as I knew the drill arm was the best weapon available to me anyway. I haven't discovered the torpedo or repulsor (propulsor?) arms yet.

I can see your point about using the grappler arm for a fast getaway, but it assumes you're within range of something to grapple. And my experience so far is that (a) the grappler arm's range is not very long, and (b) the reaper prefers to drop you in open water anyway, where it can easily circle back and finish you off.

Besides, the whole question of defense was moot on his second attack, after I'd just welded the suit back up, because he raced in and grabbed the suit before I could get back into it. In fact, I still had the welder in my hand.
  • SilveressaSilveressa USA Join Date: 2015-03-18 Member: 202279Members
    Well, first of all, I didn't realize I'd strayed into reaper territory.
    I had the drill arm equipped because the whole point of the exercise was resource mining.
    And I had the grappling arm equipped because I'd just had to climb up a cliff too tall for thrusters alone.

It's worth noting you can "climb" up the sides of cliffs in the prawn suit with the claw arm. Just jump jet like usual and press and hold the walk key into the side of the cliff a second or two before the jump jets run out of juice. Your Prawn will cling to the cliff side while it recharges, then you can jet off again and slowly "climb" your way up any cliff side too high to jump jet in a single go.
  • NikonthenetNikonthenet UK Join Date: 2016-05-12 Member: 216680Members
    I'm pretty sad the PRAWN has no habitat builder tool. For me, I was hoping the suit might be used to build more safely in dangerous areas. Something that is a pain to do, impossible in many situations, without dying.
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    Doesn't the PRAWN have, like, double the health of a Seamoth? One Reaper Leviathan attack only takes it down to about 87% as opposed to 50% on the Seamoth.

Good luck against a Leviathan.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    I kinda like the prawn suit- not that the problems here aren't things I agree with. It seems like instead of the mobility upgrade of the seamoth, the prawn is like an upgrade to your body. At times, I don't even consider it a vehicle- you have upgraded arms, different ways to move, and greater resource-gathering ability. I'd have to say my biggest problem with it is it falling through the floor- I've had at least 5 prawns go the way of the void so far. I'd like to see some way to counteract that, although it seems like a hard problem to combat considering the problem is on my end- the floor often doesn't load in time for the prawn to hit it and it just falls through.
    I'd like to see some way to counteract that, although it seems like a hard problem to combat considering the problem is on my end- the floor often doesn't load in time for the prawn to hit it and it just falls through.

I've ran into that as well at times, the best solution I've found is to lower your graphics settings bit by bit until it doesn't happen anymore. (There's also some extra bloom other graphics options you can toggle off/on in the f3 menu if you need even more performance boost for some reason.)

• subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    Silveressa wrote: »
    lower your graphics settings bit by bit

Yeah... Herein lies the problem- I'm already at the lowest settings, scraping by performance-wise. Thanks anyways, though

Yeah... Herein lies the problem- I'm already at the lowest settings, scraping by performance-wise. Thanks anyways, though

Ah, upgrading your pc seems like the only option left, (obviously) I'd suggest increasing your RAM to 16 gigs (if it's not there already) given the extra RAM will greatly help with the load speed of areas and hopefully correct your problem. As a small bonus the cost of RAM is surprisingly cheap these days and you can pick up an extra 8 gigs for around $30-$50 depending on your preferred mhz and brand. (Compared to $250+ at the minimum for a gfx card at the capability level you want to run games like Subnautica.)
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Moving the game to an SSD also helps a fair bit.
    edited October 2016
    Mirality wrote: »
    Moving the game to an SSD also helps a fair bit.

Ah, upgrading your pc seems like the only option left, (obviously) I'd suggest increasing your RAM to 16 gigs (if it's not there already) given the extra RAM will greatly help with the load speed of areas and hopefully correct your problem. As a small bonus the cost of RAM is surprisingly cheap these days and you can pick up an extra 8 gigs for around $30-$50 depending on your preferred mhz and brand. (Compared to $250+ at the minimum for a gfx card at the capability level you want to run games like Subnautica.)

Thanks you two. I'll consider it
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    I think that this "falling through the floor" problem might become mitigated once terraforming is full removed. It can load both the visuals and physics of chunks at the same time, instead of having to perform the resource-demanding task of "Has this little bit of terrain changed in any way?"
    I think that this "falling through the floor" problem might become mitigated once terraforming is full removed. It can load both the visuals and physics of chunks at the same time, instead of having to perform the resource-demanding task of "Has this little bit of terrain changed in any way?"

An idea I was thinking of over the past 24hrs is what if they prioritized loading the ground directly underneath the prawn over loading other terrain. You won't need to look at that mountain in the distance if you're falling into the void. Also, I don't know how possible this is, but if it would be possible to detect when the prawn is inside the ground or other terrain and automatically teleport it up to the ground. Either that or have some way to tether it to a cyclops or terrain, sort of like a massive dive reel.
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited November 2016
    scubamatt wrote: »
    For me, the PRAWN is a mining suit, not much else.

It's much, much better for fending off hostile creatures. You're going to need if for the active lava zone and those deep placed where stuff really enjoys killing you. The Seamoth just can't compare.
  • SkopeSkope Wouldn't you like to know ;) Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218212Members
    If you want to love the PRAWN suit for none of it's intended purposes, just attach two grappling hook arms and enjoy being the Spiderman of Subnautica.
    Skope wrote: »
    If you want to love the PRAWN suit for none of it's intended purposes, just attach two grappling hook arms and enjoy being the Spiderman of Subnautica.

I climbed to the top of the aurora once!