Is it just me, or ...

Alrekr_IronhandAlrekr_Ironhand New Hampshire, US Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214677Members
... is silver unreasonably hard to find in this update? I find myself needing considerably more silver in Subnautica than gold. But in the current update, silver is as rare as hens' teeth, while in some biomes you can't swing a rabbit ray by the tail without hitting a chunk of gold. It took me until about six hours into my current game to find enough silver to make a fabricator (just in the nick of time, as my lifepod was apparently drifting off to the Bahamas forever). But I've got piles of gold I have no use for.

It doesn't help that while they have different names, all of the different "outcroppings" — limestone, sandstone, shale, basalt — all look exactly the same. You can't tell one from another until you're within arm's reach. Life would be a lot easier if you could tell the different kind of outcroppings apart — and if one type of outcrop contained one type of material, instead of the current crapshoot in which even when I DO find a sandstone nodule, as likely as not it's gold. Which also seems to be the principal yield of both basalt and shale. This game, I've stopped even bothering to break basalt and shale.

Comments

• LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    It's not that hard really. You'll find some in the kelp forest (watch out for Stalkers) and more in the two thermal vents in the Safe Shallows. I don't remember where that cave is, but it's under one of the smaller kelp forests. It's one of the more safe places to gather a few silver (the other being the kelp forest beyond Lifepod 6).
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    ... is silver unreasonably hard to find in this update? I find myself needing considerably more silver in Subnautica than gold. But in the current update, silver is as rare as hens' teeth, while in some biomes you can't swing a rabbit ray by the tail without hitting a chunk of gold. It took me until about six hours into my current game to find enough silver to make a fabricator (just in the nick of time, as my lifepod was apparently drifting off to the Bahamas forever). But I've got piles of gold I have no use for.

Caves are usually a good source of silver.

Also, if you repair your life pod with the welder it should come fully online and stop moving (I think it uses a grav anchor or some such technobabble).
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Look on cave walls for silver; it doesn't appear on the ground in the grassy biomes any more.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    edited October 2016
    My favorite place to find silver in the beginning is in the trench between the safe shallows and the grand reef
  • CAPSHAWCAPSHAW Nevada Join Date: 2016-09-29 Member: 222692Members
    You just have to know where to look. The lootmap is not very homogenous, so grinding is tougher because you have to travel a lot to find certain places