How do you fight warpers?

EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
More specifically, is there ANY tactic that stands a decent chance of actually KILLING the thing?

I've had decent success just listening for them and immediately attacking on sight. Pretty much any attack or damage at all seems to make them jump away, and while I haven't actually tried to stasis one, I don't think that works. So no freeze+knife.

And other than that, I can't think of any way to actually kill one. PRAWN claw arms and a lot of persistence, perhaps? Crashfish/acid mushroom missiles... and again, persistence? Not sure if anything can ram them properly. Maybe Seamoth perimeter defense?

Comments

• SansTheSkelebroSansTheSkelebro Italy Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216071Members
    edited September 2016
    As soon as you start hitting them they warp away. And you're right, if you use the stasis rifle they just warp out of the stasis. So no, to my knowledge, you can't (and shouldn't) kill them, just scare them away.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    A full power burst from the Seamoth Perimeter System failed to kill one, or even significantly harm it - it teleported away as the special effects were dissipating.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited September 2016
    The stasis rifle should stop them dead in their tracks..., period, giving you time to move away from them.

While we probably shouldn't be able to kill them outright, there should be a way to at least drive them off.
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    I was minding my own business in the grand reef when a warper yanked me out of my exosuit! I was so disoriented, I couldn't find it again. Thank the gods I had a spare tank and a seaglide. I managed to run away back to the cyclops while crabsquids evidently played hackysack with my empty exosuit.
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    The warpers are indeed annoying. Had one pull me out of the Seamoth and then hit me for 80% of my health in two seconds. Seems a bit messed up given you get vehicles for utilitarian and defensive purposes in the first place.

Fortunately, their teleportation globe attack thingies are slow and easy to dodge. Assuming you see it coming.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    edited September 2016
    Calarand77 wrote: »
    I find it deeply regrettable how every patch brings new, interesting monsters and all some players (who are not in the majority here, I dare say, but do correct me if I'm wrong, please) can think about is "how do I kill this thing". Why are destruction and murder the very first things that come to people's minds? Why not try to study, observe, learn how to avoid/coexist instead? Is establishing themselves as the apex predator really so important for their ego?

The overwhelming majority of computer games provide entertainment based solely on killing, murdering and destroying everything around the player character. Subnautica's greatest strength is in the fact that it provides a unique perspective and forces us to take completely different approach to exploration and survival. Simply put, it makes you use your brain instead of using brute force.

Introducing lethal weapons would drag SN down into the already overflowing cesspool of games that are all near-identical clones of one another... Hardly an improvement, if you ask me.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2016
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    As long as they are easy to chase off I don't need to kill them. But it sounds like if they get a second hit in you did so I really hope they don't get as persistent or numerous as biters and bleeders.
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    Why are destruction and murder the very first things that come to people's minds? Why not try to study, observe, learn how to avoid/coexist instead?

Yeah, the way I deal with Stalkers and Sandsharks?

I keep my eyes open. Stalkers usually seem to have a rather short aggro range, so if you keep your distance and stay to their blind spots then generally I can get what I need and skirt out.

Sandsharks are a bit tougher, and require a wider range, but again, keep your eyes open and study them and you can usually adapt.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Herugrim wrote: »
    As long as they are easy to chase off I don't need to kill them. But it sounds like if they get a second hit in you did so I really hope they don't get as persistent or numerous as biters and bleeders.

I'm still trying to figure out how the Biters can damage me through the REINFORCED Diving Suit.
  • TalisseraTalissera Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222023Members
    I find it deeply regrettable how every patch brings new, interesting monsters and all some players (who are not in the majority here, I dare say, but do correct me if I'm wrong, please) can think about is "how do I kill this thing". Why are destruction and murder the very first things that come to people's minds? Why not try to study, observe, learn how to avoid/coexist instead? Is establishing themselves as the apex predator really so important for their ego?

The overwhelming majority of computer games provide entertainment based solely on killing, murdering and destroying everything around the player character. Subnautica's greatest strength is in the fact that it provides a unique perspective and forces us to take completely different approach to exploration and survival. Simply put, it makes you use your brain instead of using brute force.

Introducing lethal weapons would drag SN down into the already overflowing cesspool of games that are all near-identical clones of one another... Hardly an improvement, if you ask me.

It's simple. You are not safe in the presence of such creatures. It is an instinct. You can run out of sharks and stalkers, but with reapers or other big creatures you easily can die. Yes you have stasis or other non lethal things for dealing with a threat but one mistake and you will be consumed.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited September 2016
    I've only just encountered a Warper yesterday in the Grand Reef, and my ram attacks in my Seamoth of course proved futile. But although I've encountered it several times, it's not once pulled me out of my Seamoth. I don't have any beef with the creatures, in fact I hope that they'll prove useful down the road. I'm hoping that eventually we can scan them and gain access to their warp abilities, either for use as fast travel or at the least for an emergency escape plan.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members

Oh great, Dr.Stark is back.

• EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    Besides, *I* wanna be the apex predator.

Given the lamentable lack of huge claws, poison spines, and massive teeth on the human body, we'll just have to make do with what we can get...

I'm guessing the best approach is to smash it with a claw arm or toss a poison mushroom or crashfish into it whenever it shows up. Burst damage FTW, since it's HARDLY going to stick around while you grind it with the drill.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Warpers thus far haven't been much of a threat to me. They move slow and are easy to avoid. And so far I've only encountered them at the mountain island and the depths of the grand reef. And when I'm in the deep reef I'm much more worried about crabsquids. When I found the 3rd Degasi base I almost died (on hardcore) because while I was checking out the inside of the base a squid was beating the hell out of my seamoth. I came out the hatch and the sub I'd left right in front of it wasn't there. Looking around in a panic I saw it being attacked, jumped in and drove away. Had 20% health left. Had I taken any longer inside, it would almost certainly have been destroyed, and I'd have died as a result.
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    I'm hoping that eventually we can scan them and gain access to their warp abilities, either for use as fast travel or at the least for an emergency escape plan.
    @Tarkannen They are already scannable. What we're waiting for I think is a functional transfuser.

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Haven't played the game for a while. Is there any peaceful way to deal with the warper?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    zetachron wrote: »
    Haven't played the game for a while. Is there any peaceful way to deal with the warper?

Swim away. He's not fast.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    The best way to defeat your enemy is to make them your friend. So invite a Warper into your home and sit down with a cup of tea and biscuits and talk about stuff with relaxing music in the background. That is how you defeat the Warpers!
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Warpers thus far haven't been much of a threat to me. They move slow and are easy to avoid. And so far I've only encountered them at the mountain island and the depths of the grand reef. And when I'm in the deep reef I'm much more worried about crabsquids. When I found the 3rd Degasi base I almost died (on hardcore) because while I was checking out the inside of the base a squid was beating the hell out of my seamoth. I came out the hatch and the sub I'd left right in front of it wasn't there. Looking around in a panic I saw it being attacked, jumped in and drove away. Had 20% health left. Had I taken any longer inside, it would almost certainly have been destroyed, and I'd have died as a result.
    I'm hoping that eventually we can scan them and gain access to their warp abilities, either for use as fast travel or at the least for an emergency escape plan.
    @Tarkannen They are already scannable. What we're waiting for I think is a functional transfuser.

<span style="font-size:20px">Sweet!</span> Even if it never gets implemented I'd be fine with it, but I would love to warp around the map, (even if it's randomly) to add some spice to exploration. Wanting to save time swimming, do you risk fast travel or a tele-frag? Exploring a cave and Biters are attacking you: do you risk salvation or end up with Sandsharks? You never know... unless you press the button. o:)
  • Kyman201Kyman201 Washington State Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211880Members
    <span style="font-size:20px">Sweet!</span> Even if it never gets implemented I'd be fine with it, but I would love to warp around the map, (even if it's randomly) to add some spice to exploration. Wanting to save time swimming, do you risk fast travel or a tele-frag? Exploring a cave and Biters are attacking you: do you risk salvation or end up with Sandsharks? You never know... unless you press the button. o:)

I heard a rumor that when we start scanning Precursor tech, we'll be able to create teleporters, but that's probably less "I wanna go over there *Bamf*" and more "Okay stepping through this mini-gate, and now I'm in the base I built in the Lost River."
    Kyman201 wrote: »
    I heard a rumor that when we start scanning Precursor tech, we'll be able to create teleporters, but that's probably less "I wanna go over there *Bamf*" and more "Okay stepping through this mini-gate, and now I'm in the base I built in the Lost River."

And let's be honest - that'd be pretty badass. Jumping between bases that are kilometers apart in the blink of an eye saves time and energy, and if, say, you're expanding that lost river base and you need more quartz and titanium, a quick warp to your surface outpost to gather some mats and then warp back with them is a lot better than driving your sub all the way out.

Even more badass would be a warp module for your sub, which could open a portal in front and then you drive through to somewhere else. Probably not getting that though.