Should I start playing again?

fireblade274fireblade274 maryland Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215022Members
The last time I played this game was back in December of last year pretty much. I had gotten pretty far and logged 61 hours into it, then when an update came out and recommended starting anew, I decided I'd wait and give it a good break. My main reason for stopping was I wanted the game to get to a point where it'd be likely current saves will make it through the next update without causing bugs.

Are we there yet? Will that really only take place once 1.0 is released? I'm a passionate KSP fan and logged over 2.6k hours into it; before 1.0 was released, in say version .85, it was generally known that the next patch would be ongoing-save friendly. Can I for lack of a better word safely start up a new game again and not worry about it getting broken by upcoming patches?

Comments

• RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    I'm under the impression the current saves are still likely to become unusable after major updates. Having said that, the game is a different game than it was when I started playing, which was several months after you stopped. I suspect that by the time 1.0 rolls around it'll be a brand new adventure even again.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    They only suggest restarting with each update if you are afraid your base will be destroyed because you built it in an area that was indev. If you aren't worried about that you should get pretty much everything just by upgrading your current save.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I think it'd be worth popping back into the game if only to play with the new Prawn exosuit (Which is amazing by the way) and scouting out the new areas they're working on.
  • enragedcamelenragedcamel Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222016Members
    I was in the exact same boat as you. Had played back in December and taken a break.

After I came back, I noticed that while there are some cool new things, the game still felt too repetitive. Since the map is the same, there is no sense of exploration, and it's not like the game lends itself to multiple different playstyles.

Compare this to an ARPG for instance that grants you random loot, a level up mechanism, different classes with different playstyles, etc. I bought Grim Dawn three weeks ago and I already have over 100 hours played. Subnautica though? I'll probably check it out again when 1.0 comes out, but I doubt I'll actually play through the whole thing.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Rezca wrote: »
    I think it'd be worth popping back into the game if only to play with the new Prawn exosuit (Which is amazing by the way) and scouting out the new areas they're working on.

The last big Update we got, the PRAWN update, introduced the exosuit which is a game-changing experience really. I love it personally, some dont. You can only find out by trying it yourself.

That being said, in terms of story advancements the game is still being worked on. We have brides of infos coming in from time to time but its still not layed out fully yet. Looking at the Trello in the next big Update we are supposed to get a working Story mode added in, you might want to wait for that if thats what you're aiming for.
  • fireblade274fireblade274 maryland Join Date: 2016-03-29 Member: 215022Members
    lots of good info here, thanks guys
    I think the gist of what im getting is that I should wait for things to pan out more. If I start playing again, then by the time 1.0 comes out, ill have done everything twice, save for maybe a new biom or 2 and some more quality of life updates. My main reason for waiting is if my save will be compatible with updates coming down the road; it sounds like you guys are saying thats likely not the case, so I suppose ill let the game cook a bit longer.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    lots of good info here, thanks guys
    I think the gist of what im getting is that I should wait for things to pan out more. If I start playing again, then by the time 1.0 comes out, ill have done everything twice, save for maybe a new biom or 2 and some more quality of life updates. My main reason for waiting is if my save will be compatible with updates coming down the road; it sounds like you guys are saying thats likely not the case, so I suppose ill let the game cook a bit longer.

Correct. By the looks of it we are going to get another 3 big updates at least till v1.0 and for each one of these big updates the Devs recommend starting a new save in order to get every bit of the new stuff as old saves tends to ''upgrade'' sometimes poorly to new content.

Thats the gist of playing Early Access games, you experience a game being worked on constantly, sometimes minor changes comes in and sometimes major changes happens. Its better to wait for full release if you want to experience the whole finished product. Tough choice m8 :smiley:
  • EvilSmooEvilSmoo Join Date: 2008-02-16 Member: 63662Members
    The initial build-up is kinda fun. I always flake out and use cheats eventually, though.
  • badgerfrothbadgerfroth Darlington UK Join Date: 2016-04-10 Member: 215599Members
    Yeah, I use cheats just to get me started in a new game.
    I suppose it's just a natural burnout from playing through early access versions and I just want to skip the starting grind.

I love the PRAWN though. I feel the game is going in the right direction, but I NEED to find things to explore and treasures to uncover.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    Yeah, I use cheats just to get me started in a new game.
    I suppose it's just a natural burnout from playing through early access versions and I just want to skip the starting grind.

I love the PRAWN though. I feel the game is going in the right direction, but I NEED to find things to explore and treasures to uncover.

Personally that early grind is what I've been enjoying the most xD
    Once I get to the mid to late game, I feel burned out and restart - then it's all fresh and fun again. Though with the latest additions to the late game like the exosuit, and the ILZ being actually worth visiting now, I suppose the late game enjoyment would last a little longer now...
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    My big gripe in the early game, where I am right now, is that you need silver to reliably get silver.

Silver tends to be in depths hovering around 100m or so, right? You need a rebreather which requires silver.

Seaglide burns battery waaaay too fast, as in 3 full charges in 5 minutes. Battery charging station fragments are easy to find but you need silver to make it. And you need silver for a bunch of necessary tools too.

Once you have momentum and are self sufficient, it's easy to seamoth about and find sandstone at your leisure. But as a new player starting in survival mode, I haaaaate spending so much time dodging stalkers and sharks looking for this elusive metal rather than not starving to death or dying of thirst, know what I mean?
  • AlistairMacbainAlistairMacbain Germany Join Date: 2016-08-23 Member: 221616Members
    Quite alot of silver in the kelp forests and thats not to far down.
  • enragedcamelenragedcamel Join Date: 2016-09-03 Member: 222016Members
    Kaybe wrote: »
    My big gripe in the early game, where I am right now, is that you need silver to reliably get silver.

Silver tends to be in depths hovering around 100m or so, right? You need a rebreather which requires silver.

Rebreather is only useful after 200m.
    The kelp forest caves and the two thermal vents in the shallows should have enough silver to get you all the basic gear.
  • WSBurnsWSBurns KingdomOFMadness Join Date: 2016-07-25 Member: 220631Members
    edited September 2016
    I personally decided to give it a break, probably until the final release. I like to be amazed and let myself be carried away with a good game story, this game can have all the right ingredients to let that happen. Replaying it too often, at this point, will only grant the satisfaction of a playtester, and in my opinion will eventually take away that awe momentum we all had when we played this game for the first time.

On a personal note my expectations for this game were (and still are) pretty high up, but after the last dev team announcement, it kinda sounded that we would be on a solo campaign with no npc´s at all and this made me a bit disappointed. I love survival games, have already played a few and was expecting a game mechanic similar to State of Decay or Dead State, where we find survivors, bring them to our base and assign them some tasks. Without this, the game feels empty and building large bases now seems pointless.

On yet another personal note, and unless i have missed some similar thread on this forum, i would also like to see some thread polls where were we could vote to include some nice ideas in the game.
    While browsing through this forum i have read some very nice posts with awesome ideas that i fear will just slip away into oblivion. A polling thread could at least keep these ideas afloat long enough to show the development team where this community reasonable expectations regarding SN are heading.
    Ah, the caves ... would explain why I found sandstone only in a hole on the side. Was overjoyed to have found silver ... until a crashfish blew up in my face. Woops.

Here's a question for you guys: I'm personally having a good deal of difficulty dealing with stalkers. Anytime I get remotely close to where I need to be to poke at sandstone, I get two or three of those annoying pests chasing me around the place. On on one, I can slowly stab them to death with my dagger, but it's really challenging when there's a swarm of them. And I keep having to surface for air. All the while losing hunger and water (it drops kinda really fast in this game).

How do you guys deal with them so that they leave you alone and actually allow you to swim into those caves? I've tried feeding them peepers, and it works *sometimes*, but it's pretty unreliable. Sometimes, they just flat out ignore them. Even had one plow right through one so that it exploded in a shower of blood, without pausing even a moment while it chased me.
    By the way, oxygen does start dropping faster past 100m. I was exploring a wreck west of newbie area (battery recharger fragments, yay!), and definitely noticed a difference when I dipped below the 100m mark. I basically spent the time swimming at 99m until I found what I was looking for a dived down the last 10m or so.
    Feeding them fish only works sometimes? That bit may be a bug, I think they're supposed to respond to being fed fish. I use gary fish and haven't had an issue, though they seem to require two of them before leaving you alone. Boomerangs as well.

Swimming backwards and to the side makes it hard for them to get you but with three of them it may not work. The only other thing I can think of is to hover over your target search area at the surface and watch for them before taking the dive. Sneaky buggers though.
    edited September 2016
    Kaybe wrote: »
    How do you guys deal with them so that they leave you alone and actually allow you to swim into those caves? I've tried feeding them peepers, and it works *sometimes*, but it's pretty unreliable. Sometimes, they just flat out ignore them. Even had one plow right through one so that it exploded in a shower of blood, without pausing even a moment while it chased me.

Just want to make sure of one thing here Kaybe, do you keep the fish in your hand or do you release it in front of them? Cuz you need to keep them in your hand to count as a ''feed'' :p Thats supposed to work 100% of the time. of course, if theres a few of them in the same spot youll need 8-10 fish in your inventory i'd suggest, at least, as some of them could very well eat 1-2-3 fish right off the bat depending of each of their own hunger meter
    edited September 2016
    Wait ... you're supposed to just look straight at them with a peeper held in your hand??? I thought you were supposed to toss the peeper at them.

I really look forward to finding the Alien Containment so I can breed a bunch of bait, lol
    Hi guys, i'm going to revive this now;
    almost a year has passed and we seem to be nearing 1.0 release
    Is it save to assume my save games will be compatible with all updates moving forward?
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Hi guys, i'm going to revive this now;
    almost a year has passed and we seem to be nearing 1.0 release
    Is it save to assume my save games will be compatible with all updates moving forward?

Generally savegame compatibility isn't guaranteed until after 1.0. That said, older saves will likely still be able to load without issue, but the devs are still tweaking the game progression and planning on adjusting/detailing some map areas. I personally wouldn't commit to a major playthrough or creative build project at this point and just wait for release (or even for the inevitable post-release patch). That doesn't mean you can't mess around in creative or play throwaway survival games to get a feel of how the game has progressed.
    Thanks for your input yo, ill probably just wait for the release. Should be about 2 months away right?
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Thanks for your input yo, ill probably just wait for the release. Should be about 2 months away right?

Check back in two, plan for probably 3-4? They're guessing "End of September, or October" (See here: https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap )
  • adel_50adel_50 Join Date: 2016-09-01 Member: 221973Members

If you want to experience the whole story then start playing when the next update drops if you want to experience the story +ending wait until 1.0 like me:)
  • TheCatTazerTheCatTazer Mars Join Date: 2017-07-23 Member: 231991Members
    If wait until the final release. It's fun and all right now. But it still has some bugs in it that need fixed. But it's still fun to go around and build an awesome base