Build 308 Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited September 2016 in NS2 General Discussion
Build 308 Now Live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

A few weeks back Remi wrote up a blog called “Enter the Roadmap” and today we take the first step down that road with the release of Build 308. One...

Read the full story here

Comments

• WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    and yes, the image is totally a throw to the Apple iPhone launch ;)
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Oooooh so that's where perfomance comes from.

NS2 isn't 64 bit yet, though, right? This is just a preparatory update?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    So no Hive2.0 yet? :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2016
    MoFo1 wrote: »

Still no newline either 33.gif
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    We need to find more flying monkeys!
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    MoFo1 wrote: »

We deployed it side-by-side for a short time this past week but there was an issue which forced us to take it down. We'll activate it again soon to get the requisite stress testing on it before we are able to completely "flip the switch".
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    edited September 2016
    Those flying monkeys remind of la chupacabra xD
    So that's why theres none left anymore... UWE ground them all :(
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2016
    I dont have control over that Kouji. WP auto adds the image to the blog.
    Oooooh so that's where perfomance comes from.

NS2 isn't 64 bit yet, though, right? This is just a preparatory update?

Correct, 64 bit conversion is being worked on but this is just a stepping stone.
    WasabiOne wrote: »

I know, I'm just jerking random chains :D
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    had time to move to england while waiting for the update this 4 weeks but now that its out i sadly have to play on the floor until i get a desk :(
    usermcw wrote: »
    I hope you keep the audio-jack input on this update. I need to use my headphones still :>

Sorry Lightning adapters will be needed, cause we have the courage to make the experience greater! ;)
  • FoxyFoxy United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-08-19 Member: 198032Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »

I fixed it with a revolutionary piece of html
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I hope you keep the audio-jack input on this update. I need to use my headphones still :>

Sorry Lightning adapters will be needed, cause we have the courage to make the experience greater! ;)

(read: Greater = more expensive)
    Foxy wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

giphy.gif
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer

-_-
  • xtalxtal aka X-rayCat Join Date: 2009-06-28 Member: 67961Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2016
    Nice to see changes, but I don't see improvements to the game style that we're all waiting for. Does it mean, that only idea to improve playability is based on hive 2.0?

sidenote: Build 308 improved performance. That will boost marines aim and make them win more?
    edited September 2016
    xtal wrote: »
    sidenote: Build 308 improved performance. That will boost marines aim and make them win more?
    That is a cause and effect yeah. Kinda funny seeing game performance have such an impact on balance, but such is the life of an unsymmetrical game :D
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2016
    Foxy wrote: »

<br/>

? :*

• develdevel Join Date: 2014-09-13 Member: 198444Members
    Balance is still not fixed after introducing these stupid healthbars.
  • Jones108Jones108 Join Date: 2012-12-10 Member: 174670Members
    Lerk Plushie! That is all we need.
  • alsteralster Join Date: 2003-08-06 Member: 19124Members
    With all these performance improvements and 64bit still coming can you make it so infestation is always visually max instead of minimal. Why confuse players with two choices when the choices affect the look of the game so much? Sure infestation gets in the way, but that's how it's supposed to be. Get used to it you minimal player.
  • The_Welsh_WizardThe_Welsh_Wizard Join Date: 2013-09-10 Member: 188101Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited September 2016
    alster wrote: »
    With all these performance improvements and 64bit still coming can you make it so infestation is always visually max instead of minimal. Why confuse players with two choices when the choices affect the look of the game so much? Sure infestation gets in the way, but that's how it's supposed to be. Get used to it you minimal player.

Better force minimal than maximum infestation. Best it to let everyone decide. It is not too complicated to choose between two types no?
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited September 2016
    The problem with minimal vs maximum infestation is that choosing maximum puts you at a severe disadvantage against anyone running minimal.

Removing minimal infestation altogether might be something that could improve NS2, but ONLY if it's

a) After the x64 bit update
    b) Has the exact same performance as minimal
    c) Is "fixed" so that important locations (such as vent openings) never get covered...

The big thing is having performance for maximum be EXACTLY the same as minimal. (if that's even possible)
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    What if I prefer minimal?