[Community Content] Together we can build a better game!

CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
edited September 2016 in Ideas and Suggestions
Dev Team & the Community,

It doesn’t take long to realise there are talented and willing people within this community who put their time and effort into inspiring the vision for this game.

Take for example @Minder, who has just begun learning their way around modelling. They have spent their own time to design an amazing looking submersible (complete with UV maps). It may never be considered for the game, but regardless they have worked to make it something tannable. Even more recently, @Kouji_San who put together a quick, yet detailed sketch of a new creature. Again, @Kapadie who made light sketches in the hope that the Devs would see them and maybe draw some inspiration (please make the Pelican Turtle a thing, haha! XD).

My point is, while directionless and aimless brainstorming is great in its own sense. I think direct community input would be an awesome opportunity! Through some platform we, the community could submit content in the chance it will implemented into the game. I'd propose the Subnautica Team run competitions in which the community competes to develop a specified thing. For example:
  1. The Dev team hosts a competition for the community to design a new fish, which has a vague description attached (i.e. small mobile and hostile).
  2. People then submit their work and it is put through a voting system.
  3. The Devs then can review the top picks and select what works best.
The people get to have their own little part of the game, and maybe even get something small in return, for example as seen in that picture I put together.
Snhirt.png

There could be other means by which content could be suggested for review, by maybe popularity. By no means am I saying there aren't flaws in my idea, but I think it would be a massive step in a great direction. I think Unknown Worlds might just be the right people :)

Alternatively this post could vanish into obscurity, but either way thanks for reading :)

Cheers Capta

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2016
    heh yeah this would be a pretty neat idea indeed. I'd also still want workshop support for custom biomes/creatures/game modes for people who want those... Although the 100Mb max storage limit might become an issue for some of these...

It would be a good idea to have all of this community powered stuff in a central place for the devs to draw even more inspiration from or perhaps even, s done with high quality community work for NS2, maybe go ahead and implement it working with the creator of said content. I mean we do have this here forum section for this. But it can get overwhelming to go through it all, it's not exactly a good "gallery" so to speak :D
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    edited September 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    It would be a good idea to have all of this community powered stuff in a central place for the devs to draw even more inspiration from or perhaps even, s done with high quality community work for NS2, maybe go ahead and implement it working with the creator of said content. I mean we do have this here forum section for this. But it can get overwhelming to go through it all, it's not exactly a good "gallery" so to speak :D

Separate from the competition stream of thought. Do you mean start a singular discussion, where people submit content and it's added to the initial post, which functions as a sorta Gallery for the Devs? Would that work the best, or do you think a separate platform removed from this would work better?
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    the only problem i could foreseeably see is that either the devs get lazy, or nothing will be put in from us.
    edited September 2016
    Sigmalx wrote: »
    the only problem i could foreseeably see is that either the devs get lazy, or nothing will be put in from us.
    It's worth trying isn't it? If it doesn't work out, then meh we tried :) As for us getting lazy, that's what I wanted to gauge from this post. If the system existed would you want to submit things?

As for this gallery idea, what do you think? A sorta organised and tidy topic for all the community content (models, skins, sounds, sketches, ideas, etc). :D

EDIT: You make a valid point though :)
    a gallery would be nice, see what fans came up with. but unless we dead arm push it, we wont get much other than what the devs want.
    a gallery would be nice, see what fans came up with. but unless we dead arm push it, we wont get much other than what the devs want.
    Yeah I understand, I am for the gallery idea and I'm considering starting it myself.

"Where others have failed, I will not fail." :p
    maybe have a showcase once a month, and one or two items get put into the backlog to add post v1.0
    maybe have a showcase once a month, and one or two items get put into the backlog to add post v1.0
    I could actually see that working :)
    Contact the people who have made the most supported content and make a showcase outta of it. Would we use the forums? If it was monthly I'd even be willing to make a concise video showcasing the content.
    i've got modeling, sketching and stenciling to do.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Captagear wrote: »
    I could actually see that working :)
    Contact the people who have made the most supported content and make a showcase outta of it. Would we use the forums? If it was monthly I'd even be willing to make a concise video showcasing the content.

That was an initiative a while back for NS2 mod content, based on workshop or servers running it popularity. The biggest issue is that a forum such as this is a hell of a place to go through in terms of ideas and concepts posted. And we have no way of actually working on stuff to get it into the game as the game is not modable in any way shape or form currently.

The thing is, modability could work. But that would also require precious development time and the devs also have no one as a community manager for Subnautica as they have (or had) for NS2. Add to this that NS2/Spark is indeed tied into workshop and highly modable from the get go, this might a task too big to handle, I'm afraid (for right now)
    edited September 2016
    the main page still shows hiring availability. if a fan is that dedicated to self make things, then they should work as a freelancer.
    @Kouji_San
    edited September 2016
    @Kouji_San
    Point taken well. Has there been any mention on the possible modabilty of the game In the future (post v1.0)

FYI, heading off for the night
    @Kouji_San
    Point taken well. Has there been any mention on the possible modabilty of the game In the future (post v1.0)

where do you live for it to be night? its the middle of the day for me.
    Perth, Australia :)

Perth, Australia :)

ah, an aussie. neat. well you enjoy your winter in august, near spring in september. while i have to suffer extremely heated conditions of desert summer
    @Kouji_San

I believe it came to an "unlikely"