Removal of D3D9 Support?

2»

Comments

• v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    from what i have heard and what I can gather you would need an absolute minimum of 1gb graphics card
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2016
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    This is just the chance you take with an early access game. Requirements will change.

I take it that there's the possibility that the game would require at ABSOLUTE minimum a graphics card like the GTX 1080? O_O

Hehe unlikely, I mean it runs on a HD4850 512Mb... It just needs more optimisation in terms of asset loading, because that is currently the major cause for the stutters from what I can tell..

Also for everyone in here... A PC is a complete combination of hardware...

Adding a super GPU in an ancient rig (CPU/MOBO/MEM) will not have much of an impact on performance. Although the budget rig we're discussing here would probably benefit quite a bit from going from a "high end office video card" to a proper entry-mid level gaming card
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    from what i have heard and what I can gather you would need an absolute minimum of 1gb graphics card

Pretty much, but the more the merrier I think. I remember reading that video memory is used for things like loading textures and such...
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    Lonnehart wrote: »
    This is just the chance you take with an early access game. Requirements will change.

I take it that there's the possibility that the game would require at ABSOLUTE minimum a graphics card like the GTX 1080? O_O

No, but D3D9, if I'm getting my info correct, is sorta outdated. They're probably removing because they don't see a point in keeping something that dated, because their resources could go to something better.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2016
    Just to clarify things a bit...

Subnautica will likely require at launch a 1GB GPU at minimum (Or an Intel On board 4600 and above). This is due to the huge amount of textures we use in the game. We simply cannot go lower than this without some severe compromise on the visuals & crashing.

AMD have also stopped supporting a huge number of their video cards around 9 months ago. This includes the 8000 series, 7000 series, 6000 & 5000 series (with a few exceptions). This means if we find a bug, or there is a Unity graphical bug we cant work around, they will no longer find and provide fixes in drivers. Unity are also less likely to provide a fix to unsupported GPUs. The 5000 series of cards are now over 7 years old.

Running the game in DirectX9 mode provides some workarounds for issues with these (no longer supported by AMD) GPUs, which is why we recommend people use that method if they have visual issues with an older GPU, even if it supports DirectX 11.

We will likely be upgrading to Unity 5.4 soon. This has changes to the rendering engine, which may be good or bad for users of old cards (we dont know yet). But we wont be removing DirectX9 in any immediate future, and if you read our roadmap fully it has now been moved to the 'unknown' list.

• LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited September 2016
    Hence why I put up the link to the video card I'm using. I'm sure there are cheaper cards out there with similar powers and abilities, but I know that the newest drivers still support the card I'm using. Not sure how long the support will last, but I hope my suggestion is a temporary measure for those who can't afford the very best hardware right now.

And once you get a new card, you can keep the old one just in case for some reason the new one burns out or stops working (like when my GeForce 8800GT was destroyed due to a bug in NVidia's drivers that caused the GPU to overheat)...
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    Last years models of AMD & Nvidia cards are all selling for less than $70 at many places around the web.
    (Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart...etc... some are even under $50 bucks)
    They all will run this game with pretty much no problem.

As one who has been living from paycheck-to-paycheck for quite some time now, I know it's possible to save up at least that amount because I've done it.

Rather than bemoan something one has no control over (such as game requirements), get into a creative thinking mode and get yourself a new card.
    You managed to put the money aside to buy this game to being with, now just set your sights a bit further ahead and by the time they roll around to discontinuing D3D9, you'll be ahead of the game.
    8-)
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    Last years models of AMD & Nvidia cards are all selling for less than $70 at many places around the web.
    (Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart...etc... some are even under $50 bucks)
    They all will run this game with pretty much no problem.

As one who has been living from paycheck-to-paycheck for quite some time now, I know it's possible to save up at least that amount because I've done it.

Rather than bemoan something one has no control over (such as game requirements), get into a creative thinking mode and get yourself a new card.
    You managed to put the money aside to buy this game to being with, now just set your sights a bit further ahead and by the time they roll around to discontinuing D3D9, you'll be ahead of the game.
    8-)

This. I also live pay cheque to pay cheque and last year bought a second PC, a "family" PC if you like, with an R9 255 (2GB), and it runs Subnautica perfectly well.

You can pick one up for under $70 easy now.

Though if it were me, I'd put the effort in to save up a bit more for something a bit more up-to-date that will last you the next few years without worry.
  • MoofrogMoofrog Join Date: 2016-09-05 Member: 222096Members
    edited September 2016
    You're not seriously expecting for an early access game of this magnitude with modern graphics to run on an 10 year old pc.

Before buying into early access consider what it means which is
    • 1) KICKSTARTING the devs
    • 2) ALPHA TESTING for the devs
    and enjoying being part of new game idea. With the devs being that open and the current build its quite enjoyable.

There Rest of my post just became obsolete. If you have a strong belly/heart you may still read it.
    you really should have read all the information there is regarding steam early access and the terms and conditions regarding Subnautica.

Maybe you should review your own expecations especially with the low end hardware you're running. And as someone who is also quite poor and bankrupted myself to get a new gaming rig I can tell you maybe concentrate on your financials first? But each to its own.

Main issue is. What you pay for is what you get. Having a low end PC basically means its not a gaming PC. Its meant for writing letters and calculating spreadsheets and checking Email and the News.

And actually a new graphics card that truly supports DX10 and would run smoother doesnt cost that much .. if you have 20 squid for a game you definately have 20 squid for a maybe second hand gfx card, too? That atleast is improvement.

At the very least stop kidding yourself. The specs of your PC scream low end office. You'll have trouble even running DOS games TBH.

I can tell you a little story about another Early Access Game: "Ark - Survival Evolved" its so badly optimised you cannot run it at minium 60fps mostly I get "laggy" 30-40fps on a high end gaming rig. So there go figure.

I'd really take that refund or if not. Put the game aside. Contemplate your future. Maybe there will be a job oppurtunity and you get better income. Then wait like a year and come back to Subnautica.
    It will be more stable and you even may be able to afford a new gfx card.

But seriously DX9 is crap. It what made Starcraft 2 so terrible to run. Also next time do yourself a favor. Dont buy Celeron. Invest into decent RAM.

Yeah talking RAM. I think at the current state your PC needs 16GB of RAM. Its leaking memory so much. I very often see it scraping 7GB of my 8GB of RAM after running it a while. So it will compete even with the OS for memory. Thats a lot of trouble. Everytime I enter a new biome or area the game eats more and more memory.
  • v497_vesperv497_vesper Join Date: 2016-08-21 Member: 221558Members
    edited September 2016
    Moofrog wrote: »
    You're not seriously expecting for an early access game of this magnitude with modern graphics to run on an 10 year old pc.

Before buying into early access consider what it means which is
    • 1) KICKSTARTING the devs
    • 2) ALPHA TESTING for the devs
    and enjoying being part of new game idea. With the devs being that open and the current build its quite enjoyable.

There Rest of my post just became obsolete. If you have a strong belly/heart you may still read it.
    you really should have read all the information there is regarding steam early access and the terms and conditions regarding Subnautica.

Maybe you should review your own expecations especially with the low end hardware you're running. And as someone who is also quite poor and bankrupted myself to get a new gaming rig I can tell you maybe concentrate on your financials first? But each to its own.

Main issue is. What you pay for is what you get. Having a low end PC basically means its not a gaming PC. Its meant for writing letters and calculating spreadsheets and checking Email and the News.

And actually a new graphics card that truly supports DX10 and would run smoother doesnt cost that much .. if you have 20 squid for a game you definately have 20 squid for a maybe second hand gfx card, too? That atleast is improvement.

At the very least stop kidding yourself. The specs of your PC scream low end office. You'll have trouble even running DOS games TBH.

I can tell you a little story about another Early Access Game: "Ark - Survival Evolved" its so badly optimised you cannot run it at minium 60fps mostly I get "laggy" 30-40fps on a high end gaming rig. So there go figure.

I'd really take that refund or if not. Put the game aside. Contemplate your future. Maybe there will be a job oppurtunity and you get better income. Then wait like a year and come back to Subnautica.
    It will be more stable and you even may be able to afford a new gfx card.

But seriously DX9 is crap. It what made Starcraft 2 so terrible to run. Also next time do yourself a favor. Dont buy Celeron. Invest into decent RAM.

Yeah talking RAM. I think at the current state your PC needs 16GB of RAM. Its leaking memory so much. I very often see it scraping 7GB of my 8GB of RAM after running it a while. So it will compete even with the OS for memory. Thats a lot of trouble. Everytime I enter a new biome or area the game eats more and more memory.

Y'know what, I actually aggree with this reply in its entirety; including the spoiler, and I have already conceeded to the fact that I need a better PC to play this in the future so I think it is time to close this thread and move on with our gaming. In hindsight I was rash to post a rant of sorts here so yeah if any moderators are available I myself, as the poster of this thread, request this thread be locked

regards V497_vesper