A reaper has decided to patroll in the Grassy Plateau just off my base

ElCabongElCabong Houston, Tx Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211851Members
I build my first base on the cliff between the southern kelp forest and the grassy plateau.

Sand sharks have descended upon my area, they've never done that. I'm just annoyed by them.
I loaded up my seamoth with gas bombs and that seemed to drive them off for a little while. They
came back in less than a day.

A reaper started patrolling the grassy plateau just after I started harvesting the big silver nodes in my
prawn suit. I upgraded the armor on my seamoth and tried to drive it away with gas torpedoes.

The torpedoes are almost worthless. They're too slow to hit any moving target unless you're looking down
it's gullet like I did with the reaper. The gas sort of worked. It shut up and did little or no damage to my seamoth.
I hit it using the other torpedo, can't remember it's name, it caused a whirlpool, the reaper ignored it and chewd on my sub.

It moved away a little bit, perhaps 1/2 a km. It came back after a few minutes when it was hit with the gas torpedo.

The torpedoes need some work. They need to be faster. Perhaps if I could hit a moving target
with them they would be more effective.

Comments

• FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Use the PRAWN suit to kill the reaper. That's probably how you attracted him in the first place. I dragged that very Reaper down to the Save Shallows unaware it was following me around that far.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    I'm really experienced in this game but never found a use for the torpedos:

Vortex torpedo - should distract or nail a big predator, but you can swim or drive around them
    Gas torpedo - Ampeels can take multiple dozens of hits without dying, drives them away though, but again I just swim around them

Torpedo slots are laughable = micromanagement hell for zero effective torpedos

My advice for you:
    Either kill your predators (maybe Prawn drill & graple hook multiple times or good old stasis & knife, etc.) or experiment and try to grow defenses around your base:
    You could grow Ampeels or tiger plants and see if they prevent the unwanted predators from nearing your base
    Haven't tested myself, but will try to find out

And my final judgement on torpedos:

Their only good use is in YouTube videos to show how they rock and lure shooters into buying the game.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    I take it the Reapers no longer take damage from the Seamoth Defense System?
  • ElCabongElCabong Houston, Tx Join Date: 2016-01-23 Member: 211851Members
    I loaded up on torpedoes a went back for round two and managed to drive it off.

You need to wait for it to come at you and fire your torpedo when it's a foot away to hit it, lol.

I used both gas and vertex torpedoes and I don't think it matters.

The first time you hit it in the head it will shut up and swim away, you must keep after it and
    hit it with more torpedoes. Again, you need to be practically touching it to hit it but you can
    hit it anywhere.

After three or four hits it ran off and wasn't there when I went back a half a day later. I could
    still hear it though.

I tried the same thing with the sand sharks and managed to drive them away but they came back.

Yeah, it might have followed me in my prawn suit.

I hit it with the drill arm, it seemed to hurt but it didn't stop it from destroying my suit.
    If the Gas Torpedoes work like the Gasopod clouds, they only cause temporary damage while the targets are inside them, but once they're out, they'll regenerate quickly to full health again. Works for driving them off, but you won't kill anything, even with repeated volleys, unless you can keep the target somehow inside a cloud long enough for it to die. So either tight spaces where there is no escape or on small targets with little health.

I have killed two Sandsharks with the help of some Gasopods, using their globes with the Propulsion Cannon. So gas can definitely be lethal with continuous application.
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    The devs have pointed out that discouragement weapons and damage are supposed to trigger a "find a new place to live" leash-breaking mechanic that permanently makes predators leave the area once you've messed with them. Unfortunately this has never worked, and we've gone through several updates now where it hasn't been fixed. This just exacerbates the endless debate about weapons because the non-lethal ones we've been given essentially do not do much of anything because of this bug.

While I admit it was kind of nice to be able to drop a gas torpedo right in the Reaper's face and watch it haul ass out of there... it was maybe gone long enough to pick up an item or two, or scan one fragment, then it was back. If you could actually drive it away permanently... or even until the next sunrise or something, now THAT would be nice.

The other technique I never got around to trying was to Stasis the thing and attach a full inventory of Floaters to it, to see if I could immobilize it and render an area "safe" that way. I have no idea if Floaters even attach to living things in the game, though...
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    Kill it, i use my prawn suit as a genocide machine. I have almost slaughtered all the sand sharks in the glass biome. Also i killed all the gastro pod things to, because they serve no purpose and are annoying.
    Going to uparmor my suit and see if that give me extra protection, then i'm going to kill all the reapers. After all it is the will of the Emperor that we purge this world of it's xeno filth.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    IvanKeska wrote: »
    Kill it, i use my prawn suit as a genocide machine. I have almost slaughtered all the sand sharks in the glass biome. Also i killed all the gastro pod things to, because they serve no purpose and are annoying.
    Going to uparmor my suit and see if that give me extra protection, then i'm going to kill all the reapers. After all it is the will of the Emperor that we purge this world of it's xeno filth.

Isn't the player the "xeno filth" in this scenario?
  • AvimimusAvimimus Join Date: 2016-03-28 Member: 214968Members
    Learn to live with it and feel gifted that it still exists and hasn't warped into the terrain.
  • KisuKisu Germany Join Date: 2016-08-08 Member: 221099Members
    Actually a reaper following you everywhere is kind of cute :D *notice me senpai*

If he wouldn't try to kill you all the time tho...
  • IvanKeskaIvanKeska US Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207202Members
    edited August 2016
    DrownedOut wrote: »

Sounds like something heretic scum would say. You trying to spread heresy?
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Kisu wrote: »
    Actually a reaper following you everywhere is kind of cute :D *notice me senpai*

If he wouldn't try to kill you all the time tho...

Hatching a baby reaper and you're the mama :D
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members

Did someone say heresy?!?!
  • overfloateroverfloater Earth Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220127Members
    edited August 2016
    wth? is this a written script?! :p

i went in my exosuit to Aurora's butt, to pick on a reaper. After a short brawl it snuck away, so i decided to walk back home. It ambushed me mid-way, then snuck away again.
    And then, big surprise, i found it decided to permanently reside near my lifepod too.
    i had to drill it to death then...

Why it does that? did it decide i wanted trade territories with it?
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members

1fe.jpg
  • TheElfTheElf Deep blue Sea Join Date: 2016-05-07 Member: 216483Members
    I have had a Reaper in the safe shallows. It likes to party with a gang of like 8 Sandsharks. If this is what the Devs intended, its kinda cool, but prolly should change the "Safe Shallows" to "The Deathly Shallows" and then prepare for noobs to complain.

I've noticed, in general, since the PRAWN patch that biome boundaries mean very little when it comes to Fauna restrictions anymore...I'm seeing all kinds of animals all OVER the place...
  • orobourosorobouros US Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215163Members
    TheElf wrote: »
    I have had a Reaper in the safe shallows. It likes to party with a gang of like 8 Sandsharks. If this is what the Devs intended, its kinda cool, but prolly should change the "Safe Shallows" to "The Deathly Shallows" and then prepare for noobs to complain.

I've noticed, in general, since the PRAWN patch that biome boundaries mean very little when it comes to Fauna restrictions anymore...I'm seeing all kinds of animals all OVER the place...

Hmmm. Someone was trying to convince me this was due to eggs hatching in the wild now. I've never seen any creature eggs in the wild "pulse" like they do when hatching in an Alien Containment, except for the Ampeel eggs, and they've always done that. Also, AFAIK, eggs are like fragments in that they spawn around the player the longer they spend in a given area - and are therefore biome-sensitive. Hanging out in the shallows should get you Rabbit Ray and Gasopod eggs, and nothing else. In theory. If the eggs are even hatching like that.

None of this explains the endless parade of Sandsharks. Some of them are obviously chasing fish over the ridge and just hanging out after they give up or finally catch that stray Boomerang. Others are nowhere near any Plateau biome borders. But one thing is certain - once you have Sandsharks, you're going to have more Sandsharks if you don't get rid of the first one. I'm up to SEVEN I had to kill, counting only the ones camped right outside my (nowhere near the Plateau) base. And I haven't even built the Cyclops in that save yet. While that may not sound like much, what if I hadn't made it a priority? I'd be trapped inside my base, watching seven sandsharks thrash around right outside the hatch.

Having to deal with the occasional immigrant a few tens of meters from a biome border is fine, it adds verisimilitude. Constantly having to go on hunting expeditions to keep the middle of the shallows clear of swarms of sandsharks is not, and ought to be fixed. I'm actually going through a significant number of knives here, that's how many I'm having to kill or drive off.

I don't know about the rest of you, but isn't it weird that we're pretty much only seeing Sandsharks pretty much everywhere, but the stalkers, bonesharks, gasopods, and crabsquids are staying put, more or less? I know people have been talking about migrating Reapers, but all the stories I've heard involved one following the player back after getting into combat using a PRAWN (that is, dealing actual damage to the thing, not just surviving an attack), which isn't quite the same thing. It just means you'd better be prepared to finish the thing off if you mess with it...
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members

I reckon "heretic scum" gets the same fate as "xeno filth", so, uh, I'll be good. No heresy going around here, sir. :s
    Someone say "Exterminatus"? I'm sure I heard "Exterminatus".
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Well... all the more reason to arm my Seamoth with shock therapy equipment...
  • x1Alpha2014x1Alpha2014 Germany Join Date: 2015-05-16 Member: 204528Members
    In the name of the Godemperor, exterminate all Heretics, FOR THE EMPEROR!!! We are the Spacemarines, we will fight until all Heretics, Demons and Aliens are done.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    In the name of the Godemperor, exterminate all Heretics, FOR THE EMPEROR!!! We are the Spacemarines, we will fight until all Heretics, Demons and Aliens are done.

AH! Lapdogs of the false emperor!

15829_md-chaos%20space%20marines,%20humor,%20motivational%20poster,%20warhammer%2040,000.jpg
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    Sidchicken wrote: »

AH! Lapdogs of the false emperor!

15829_md-chaos%20space%20marines,%20humor,%20motivational%20poster,%20warhammer%2040,000.jpg

Dammmm are you UGLY!