Degasi Name Change

ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
Somewhat recently, the devs decided it was a good idea to change the names of the Degasi crew. They changed the two Torgal's names from the ones we already knew; Paal and Baat Torgal, to Paul and Bart Torgal.

In my opinion, this was not a good change at all. The names Paal and Baat matched what names of a family far in the future from today and from a completely new culture would look like. Now they have been given normal names you would see on Earth today instead of the unique and almost alien like names from before. I feel like they should be reverted to the old names because it made the universe Subnautica is based in seem more real and unique. It wouldn't make too much sense for names as common as Paul and Bart today to be used in the future and in a different culture, as I have said.

The reason for the name change, as I was told by Cory Strader, was as simple as a few youtubers they had seen not pronounce it properly and its hard to keep track of all the names in the story. My response to that is: What does it matter if they can't be pronounced properly, people can say them as they like, it adds to roleplay in a small way. As well as what large amount of names in the game story that needs to be keep track of? What is Cory talking about? So far the only names we have needed to remember that are important to the story are; Marguerite Maida, Paal Torgal, Baat Torgal and Second Officer Keen.

So I am doing this poll as a petition to get them changed back, vote below on how you feel about this subject so we can show the devs what the public opinion is.

Comments

• FrykasFrykas France Join Date: 2015-02-23 Member: 201517Members
    edited August 2016
    Totaly agree with you, Baat and Paal was better.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Paal and Baat was definitely better for me also. Why fix something that isnt broken? :wink:
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Agreed. Unusual names that fit the game's setting perfectly have been replaced by overly common ones we know from everyday life. It's a small change of a small element of the game, sure, but it has robbed the entire story arc of a little bit of its uniqueness.
  • awesomeguy101awesomeguy101 Join Date: 2016-06-21 Member: 218886Members
    The old names are better. No reason in particular they just seem to fit.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    edited August 2016
    The old names are better. No reason in particular they just seem to fit.

Then please vote for that @awesomeguy101 . We have a chance to get them changed back.
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Which youtubers dare to have the name changed?
  • dealwithitdogdealwithitdog Texas Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218343Members
    I liked the old names. Sounded space-agey. More fitting to the situation.
  • AirlessAirless Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224268Members
    If they ARE changing the names, I would prefer Paul and Blart. Everyone in the far future will surely name their kids after the famous movie Mall Cop i'm assuming.
  • ICirceIICirceI Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224267Members
    I don't like Paal and Baat. It makes the names sound too much like they are from Boston, which I think is a horrible accent.
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    ICirceI wrote: »
    I don't like Paal and Baat. It makes the names sound too much like they are from Boston, which I think is a horrible accent.

Actually, a double 'a' is pronounced like a long A - Baal in Diablo 2 for example, is pronounced "Bale" not "Ball". So their names would be more accurately pronounced like "Pale" and "Bait".
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Somewhat recently, the devs decided it was a good idea to change the names of the Degasi crew. They changed the two Torgal's names from the ones we already knew; Paal and Baat Torgal, to Paul and Bart Torgal.

In my opinion, this was not a good change at all. The names Paal and Baat matched what names of a family far in the future from today and from a completely new culture would look like. Now they have been given normal names you would see on Earth today instead of the unique and almost alien like names from before. I feel like they should be reverted to the old names because it made the universe Subnautica is based in seem more real and unique. It wouldn't make too much sense for names as common as Paul and Bart today to be used in the future and in a different culture, as I have said.

The reason for the name change, as I was told by Cory Strader, was as simple as a few youtubers they had seen not pronounce it properly and its hard to keep track of all the names in the story. My response to that is: What does it matter if they can't be pronounced properly, people can say them as they like, it adds to roleplay in a small way. As well as what large amount of names in the game story that needs to be keep track of? What is Cory talking about? So far the only names we have needed to remember that are important to the story are; Marguerite Maida, Paal Torgal, Baat Torgal and Second Officer Keen.

So I am doing this poll as a petition to get them changed back, vote below on how you feel about this subject so we can show the devs what the public opinion is.

Easy to fix: Do voice-overs of the PDAs, and have them call each other by name a few times, with the correct pronunciation.
  • ICirceIICirceI Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224267Members
    edited November 2016
    Sidchicken wrote: »
    Actually, a double 'a' is pronounced like a long A - Baal in Diablo 2 for example, is pronounced "Bale" not "Ball". So their names would be more accurately pronounced like "Pale" and "Bait".
    Well that is even worse! Though, those names would make more sense in a game that is mostly water, if that is actually how those names would be said, but it isn't since the correct way to say the names is explained in the original post.
  • AquaAqua Estonia Join Date: 2016-11-27 Member: 224277Members
    edited November 2016
    Have only played the game for like 11 hours, but Paal and Baat sound better.
    I think with the time they had to advance in technology they probably also had the time to think of some less generic names like Paul and Bart. :#
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    the correct way to say the names is explained in the original post.

What are you talking about? The OP does not have an explanation of how to pronounce them - only a reference to a statement that people had been pronouncing them wrong on youtube.
  • DaveyNYDaveyNY Schenectady, NY Join Date: 2016-08-30 Member: 221903Members
    edited November 2016
    Sidchicken wrote: »

Actually, since they are from a far future Sci-Fi realm, it's more likely they would be pronounced Pa-al (Paa-al) and Ba-at (Baa-ott), similar to how Superman's name is pronounced Ka-el.
    B)
  • HiSaZuLHiSaZuL N.Y. Join Date: 2016-11-11 Member: 223803Members
    Of all the things to nitpick at, names? Really? If you can't pronounce the name it makes it a subject that you either smirk and move around or not touch at all. I fail to see how having wacky names would make it all better.

Also not all languages are the same... what is hard to pronounce for mainly english speaker could be trivial for someone using slavik or germanic languages even if both come from same whatchamacallit-eropean family.

Hence why there are so many ways of saying Baal. What sounds right to one person sounds absurdly broken to another.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    I agree with the change, as I dislike the original names. Yes, they sounded futuristic and space-y, but from what little information we know the Aurora housed a crew of mostly humans. Granted 'Paal" and "Baat" may have been from another species, but I don't feel they're proper names people would use in the future.

Sure, styles and fashions change with the times, but there are people like me that prefer traditional names like Carl and Mark over new names like Caal and Maak. Even decades in the future older names would still be used and be widely understood, in order to maintain a link to where our roots lie. I vote to keep with tradition!
  • NerdyEricNerdyEric Join Date: 2016-11-15 Member: 223876Members
    I think the names are better for new players as they are much easier to understand
  • TheLordEternalTheLordEternal The Earth Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206851Members
    @Tarkannen
    paul and bart wasn't from the Aurora, They were from the Degassi; A Mongolian vessel that crashed some years before. One of the logs state that the Aurora had a secondary mission to look for them.
  • TarkannenTarkannen North Carolina Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221304Members
    edited November 2016
    @TheLordEternal I realize that, but my comment was related to names of people from various species in general for the future, however my point is still valid. For every Beyoncé now and Chrÿstera in the future, there will be a Betty now and a Christy in the future. Some people like foreign or fancy names, but I just prefer common everyday names personally... To each their own. :)
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    edited November 2016
    If the names are going to be changed from space-y/futuristic, then at least Mongolian or Asian names in general should get preference over English names/English versions of names. Like instead of Bart, how about Batsaikhan? Or anything ending on "baatar"?
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    edited December 2016
    Paul and Bart are awful together because it makes me think of some of the crappiest movies ever made "Paul Blart Mall Cop".

You guys have GOT to change these names or the game will be mocked and not be taken seriously.
  • subnauticambriansubnauticambrian U.S. Join Date: 2016-01-19 Member: 211679Members
    jpinard wrote: »
    Paul and Bart are awful together because it makes me think of some of the crappiest movies ever made "Paul Blart Mall Cop".

You guys have GOT to change these names or the game will be mocked and not be taken seriously.

who now?
    ib64rqv8zb6c.jpg

Who Now?!
    dfarqb6mbofw.png

WHO NOW?!?!?
    25c1d5us4mgn.jpg
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    edited December 2016
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    @TheLordEternal I realize that, but my comment was related to names of people from various species in general for the future, however my point is still valid. For every Beyoncé now and Chrÿstera in the future, there will be a Betty now and a Christy in the future. Some people like foreign or fancy names, but I just prefer common everyday names personally... To each their own. :)

But this is simply untrue. I have no idea why you would even think such a thing as it has absolutely no basis in what we know of how names change.
    There are certain names which seem to be around for a very long time. Mainly biblical ones. But it's not forever.
    Tarkannen wrote: »
    Sure, styles and fashions change with the times, but there are people like me that prefer traditional names like Carl and Mark over new names like Caal and Maak. Even decades in the future older names would still be used and be widely understood, in order to maintain a link to where our roots lie.
    This simply isn't true. My roots are English and there are plenty of old Saxon names that are no longer used. Aelfred became Alfred and is all but dead. Norman became popular because of the Normans taking over England but nobody is naming their baby Norman at the moment.

Sometimes there's a resurgence; George seems to be getting more popular lately, but mainly in the female form of Georgina.

There are also names which simply die. There will not necessarily be a Better or Christy in the future at all. In fact, I've never heard of anyone under 50 being called Betty even today.

See the name Wilbur amongst the youth much these days? How about Barbara? There're not many Barbs under 50. If you were right, we would still have plenty of Thorgils and Quintiluses to deal with.

Of course names die out. Just do some googling on least popular baby names and you'd be surprised.

Oh, and personally I don't like Paul and Bart or Paal and Baat. None of them sound appropriate.
  • FluffersFluffers United States Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204749Members
    I don't really care about the names either way. Both versions are fine.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Paul Bart Ocean Cop