GL is a noskill weapon

Comments

• Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    ILXqgZc.png

This guy wins, get him a homing grenade launcher.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    edited August 2016
    coolitic wrote: »
    remi wrote: »
    Deck_ wrote: »
    the grenades
    1. are fast projectiles
    2. have large hitboxes
    3. do high damage

just getting rid of one of those three would be a good start.

Let's get rid of #1 and make it a homing missile... that moves verrrrry slowly. You can outrun it, but one day... ONE DAY it will find you. You'll never be able to stop running from it.

Yes, add the blue shell to the game. Let's make it casual.....

He was joking.

So was he (I think).

Then I'm not getting the blue shell reference.

Mario Kart.

The blue shell always hits (it basically can't be dodged by anything but extremely skilled players) the player in front of the race, and can only be dropped for players at the back. Basically it allows a badly performing player to hugely screw up the day of a well performing one simply by pure RNG. There's a reason people hate it.

I cannot believe I didn't make the connection, derp
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    remi wrote: »
    Deck_ wrote: »
    the grenades
    1. are fast projectiles
    2. have large hitboxes
    3. do high damage

just getting rid of one of those three would be a good start.

Let's get rid of #1 and make it a homing missile... that moves verrrrry slowly. You can outrun it, but one day... ONE DAY it will find you. You'll never be able to stop running from it.

Yes, add the blue shell to the game. Let's make it casual.....

He was joking.

So was he (I think).

Then I'm not getting the blue shell reference.

Mario Kart.

The blue shell always hits (it basically can't be dodged by anything but extremely skilled players) the player in front of the race, and can only be dropped for players at the back. Basically it allows a badly performing player to hugely screw up the day of a well performing one simply by pure RNG. There's a reason people hate it.

I cannot believe I didn't make the connection, derp

Thinking about upgrade chambers? ;)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Frozen wrote: »
    I liked when GLs didn't detonate on impact unless they were in they were in the air for some time; i.e. Had activation time.

This is still the case, there's a minimum distance (or time) requirement before exploding on impact.
    Without this.. the GL can easily become an explosive shotgun.

I think outlining the GL projectiles would go a long way to being able to avoid them.
    They are fast and super potent against lifeforms, and require very little skill to utilize as a marine - and it feels horrible to come around a corner and die instantly to one.

I'm all down for lessening player (And only player) damage more, but I think being able to distinguish the fast projectiles against a chaotic/ dark enviornment would make your death from them less frustrating.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Frozen wrote: »
    I liked when GLs didn't detonate on impact unless they were in they were in the air for some time; i.e. Had activation time.

This is still the case, there's a minimum distance (or time) requirement before exploding on impact.
    Without this.. the GL can easily become an explosive shotgun.

I think outlining the GL projectiles would go a long way to being able to avoid them.
    They are fast and super potent against lifeforms, and require very little skill to utilize as a marine - and it feels horrible to come around a corner and die instantly to one.

I'm all down for lessening player (And only player) damage more, but I think being able to distinguish the fast projectiles against a chaotic/ dark enviornment would make your death from them less frustrating.

That won't help because they are still predicted client-side
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I could be wrong, but I think the visual representation to the client shooting is predicted.. but the projectiles you see as the alien victim are server side, hence why they don't move smoothly and skip around instead.
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    Another idea, what about scraping the "explode on contact" part altogether and replacing it with alternate fire (right click) that detonates the grenade?

Still keeping the max timer tho
    Another idea, what about scraping the "explode on contact" part altogether and replacing it with alternate fire (right click) that detonates the grenade?

Still keeping the max timer tho

That would result in them being incredibly OP and making every shot easy to land.
    Don't like it.. that idea was very close to being playtested once, way back in the day (2013?) but we all brought up arguments how it would be used against a fade exiting the room.
    What's the size of that GL projectile anyways? (hitbox-wise)
    Don't like it.. that idea was very close to being playtested once, way back in the day (2013?) but we all brought up arguments how it would be used against a fade exiting the room.

Not if you keep a timer on it

Well it has the advantages of removing the shoot-in-your-general-direction-and-get-random-kills aspect while not nerfing it in any way even giving more depth to tactical options making it less stupid to use
    Well it has the advantages of removing the shoot-in-your-general-direction-and-get-random-kills aspect

What are you talking about? It would severely worsen this aspect because the projectile doesn't even have to hit the lifeform.
    edited August 2016
    Well it has the advantages of removing the shoot-in-your-general-direction-and-get-random-kills aspect

What are you talking about? It would severely worsen this aspect because the projectile doesn't even have to hit the lifeform.

Yea.. might not be the best idea but at least it makes the weapon somewhat less braindead.
    Explode-on-impact is bugged as hell sometimes it explodes in melee range, sometimes not, and to time the detonation yourself manually would be a skill in itself.
    I am talking about GL spammers, baddies shooting all 4 grenades in a row down a hallway mindlessly getting random kills.
    Having said that there is no need to remove the old timer of grenades so that the reach of those new tactical options do not extend beyond situational use.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver

Not if you keep a timer on it

Yes, because it wouldn't be random anymore! "There's a low fade coming my way? Better mine this place up with my grenade launcher!"
    edited August 2016
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited August 2016
    I still think whips should knock back at least a % of GL nades (not hand nades)...

Or give a skill to one of the life forms to bat them back somehow (maybe have umbra do this?)
    edited August 2016

Yea.. might not be the best idea but at least it makes the weapon somewhat less braindead.

You are just making the bad aspect of GL's worse. However, this change, along with a strong nerf in damage, would succeed in making the weapon a braindead noobtube.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2016
    Just a question, has anybody up in here experience the magic BEACONED GRENADE, WHEN YOU'RE BEACONED, ON LOW HP AND SEE YOUR GRENADE ALSO MADE THE TRIP TO EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE WHEN YOU'RE "SAFE" IN BASE?

I'm sorry... Dunno what came over me :D But yeah, that happened to me once during a playtest a long time ago and none believed me with me being the only nader on the team, I wasn't able to repro it and... My mouse went flying, cause it scared me close to death, that damn sudden explosion death egg!
  • StarkStark Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186336Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2016
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Just a question, has anybody up in here experience the magic BEACONED GRENADE, WHEN YOU'RE BEACONED, ON LOW HP AND SEE YOUR GRENADE ALSO MADE THE TRIP TO EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE WHEN YOU'RE "SAFE" IN BASE?

I'm sorry... Dunno what came over me :D But yeah, that happened to me once during a playtest a long time ago and none believed me with me being the only nader on the team, I wasn't able to repro it and... My mouse went flying, cause it scared me close to death, that damn sudden explosion death egg!

"Nanites"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2016
    Stark wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Nanites
    7WYFRtV.gif
    edited August 2016

You are just making the bad aspect of GL's worse. However, this change, along with a strong nerf in damage, would succeed in making the weapon a braindead noobtube.

Again you keep spouting words with nothing to back it up as usual.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2016
    Personally I think the ability to fire and manually detonate a single grenade could put a lot more skill into the weapon that is simply built for spam, because you would actually have control over it rather than hope something is unlucky enough to be at the other side when the timer ends or that an alien flies into it.

If that happens then a player damage and explosion radius reduction wouldn't be bad.
    edited August 2016

Again you keep spouting words with nothing to back it up as usual.

I thought the implications were obvious (with what I stated in the previous post), but because you asked so politely (as you usually do), I will elaborate some more. If you can remote detonate then you don't need any aim with it and can always cause it to explode next to (multiple) aliens with ease. This would make it incredibly OP, so if a strong nerf were to come with it, it would become a noobtube (literally) because it's incredibly easy to land hits and the nerf would make it not very effective in combat.

This may not be the case if it's just the explosion radius that is nerfed, but then the GL wouldn't have that much of a unique purpose if that were so.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    I'm a noob, so don't you dare touch my precious GL! x)

I could be wrong, but I think the visual representation to the client shooting is predicted.. but the projectiles you see as the alien victim are server side, hence why they don't move smoothly and skip around instead.
    Afaik, you're right:
    http://ns2docs.bplaced.net/ns2docs/src/natural+selection+2/ns2/lua/Weapons/Marine/GrenadeLauncher.lua/
    if Server or (Client and Client.GetIsControllingPlayer()) then
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Q: Are the grenade projectiles outlined by alien vision?
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bicsum wrote: »
    Q: Are the grenade projectiles outlined by alien vision?

Nope. They have in built tracking, so when you fire them, they always land where you least expect them to. Headshot :disappointed:
  • BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2016
    I think it would be a good change to have them outlined like mines, if that is possible. That way you could see and avoid them better. Other than that, I don't have much of a problem with the GL at the moment (fade POV).

I would be careful with nerfing the GL. You shouldn't be completely defenseless when using one. The GL spam is not a GL problem, but a high slot server problem, imo.

edit: Another suggestion would be to indicate when the grenade is actually primed. E.g. by giving it a red light when the minimum traveling distance is reached.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    edited August 2016
    Bicsum wrote: »
    I think it would be a good change to have them outlined like mines, if that is possible. That way you could see and avoid them better.

Yeah I think they should have an outline and more clear sound so you can avoid them better. There was talk before from other people about sound and have them easier to see, I think that is a good way to go. I would like a slight nerf to damage to players, but the other 2 things should be done at least.
    That's... that's exactly what I just suggested on this same page already?.. But ok, here's an agree anyways