Cyclops lights

GarthGarth CA Join Date: 2016-07-15 Member: 220263Members
The Cyclops is cool and all... but vision with it is absolutely atrocious....

The extra cameras were a great addition to help with visibility while driving it, but something that I think would be cool and help even more would be flood lights attached to the cameras that move with you moving the cameras... Because when you go deep even with the cyclop's lights on, its really difficult to see where you're going...

Comments

• ZionExpressZionExpress Join Date: 2012-04-09 Member: 150154Members
    Agreed!
    It'd also be nice to have some kind of sonar array on the Cyclops. The proximity sensor is nice but having sonar like the Seamoth would super helpful!
  • SenneraSennera Texas Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206043Members
    So, I'm going to bring this thread back now that the Cyclops is getting a serious overhaul features-wise.

The exterior Cyclops lights literally make it impossible to see anything beyond 5m out when they're on. This has been a problem ever since they were first put in, can we finally get an exterior lighting update to make them useful like the Seaglide and Seamoth lighting? As said above, putting controllable lights on the cameras (again like the seamoth's lights) would be nice too.
  • DarthOmnisDarthOmnis United States Join Date: 2016-12-15 Member: 224970Members
    The external cameras already have their own spotlights... they're just very dim.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Agreed!
    It'd also be nice to have some kind of sonar array on the Cyclops. The proximity sensor is nice but having sonar like the Seamoth would super helpful!

In the experimental version the Cyclops got a Sonar Upgrade module which can be used at the cost of energy. It pulses 3 times per use like the Seamoth does and you can see it through the Cyclops hull so if you get away from the steering to look "behind" you can see the sonar through the ship. I dunno if that is intended or a bug. My guess is that it was made to look like this on purpose.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Maybe they can toggle the cones, turning them transparent when you're inside the Cyclops and have them visible from the outside. So they can keep the aesthetics of them without compromising visibility. And if they do invest work into that, the same could be applied to Seamoth and PRAWN lights, making them easier to find in darkness.
    Agreed!

In the experimental version the Cyclops got a Sonar Upgrade module which can be used at the cost of energy. It pulses 3 times per use like the Seamoth does and you can see it through the Cyclops hull so if you get away from the steering to look "behind" you can see the sonar through the ship. I dunno if that is intended or a bug. My guess is that it was made to look like this on purpose.

That post you quoted is almost a year old, well before the experimental Cyclops sonar existed. I brought it back to sort of show how long we've suffered with exterior lighting that makes it HARDER to see in dark water.
  • ThePassionateGamerThePassionateGamer Germany Join Date: 2016-06-07 Member: 218219Members
    Sennera wrote: »
    That post you quoted is almost a year old, well before the experimental Cyclops sonar existed. I brought it back to sort of show how long we've suffered with exterior lighting that makes it HARDER to see in dark water.
    Oh...now that you mention it :blush:

Hopefully we will get a better light system for the Cyclops. Cant't hurt to see where you take your Cyclops especially when it can take damage if you hit something.

edited April 2017
    I made these lovely screenshots to show off the point of this topic.

First I have a screenshot of the light beams immediately after Cyclops construction. The light beams might not be a part of the problem, or they might be the root of the problem, I don't know if they're relevant but I figured I'd include a SS of them just to be thorough.

Next, two pictures taken immediately one after another not long after the sun set. The first is lights off and the second is lights on, the only difference in lighting for the two pictures is the state of the exterior lighting on the Cyclops, but it has a drastic change in overall visibility.

Edit: Oh also felt like I needed to clarify something about the camera lights. Primarily, that I'd forgotten they already existed (oops c.c;), yet I still want to complain that they don't shine far enough away. You have to be incredibly close to what you're viewing for the light to even begin reaching the object/terrain. I'd like for them to be more 'spot-lighty'

Edit2: Oh right, the new Cyclops helm HUD needs buttons for the lights. They wouldn't need to be replacements for the starboard console's light switches, those can stay so we can fidget with the lights without having to grab the helm, and there's all sorts of sense behind having light switches at the helm for the sub pilot.

tMxyvqa.jpg
    gNOm9xm.jpg
    SXjxBrf.jpg

As you can see, when I turn the lights on I lose pretty much all visibility.
  • KostriktorKostriktor Switzerland Join Date: 2017-01-08 Member: 226342Members