What do YOU do in the first 10 minutes of the game?

scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
In the future, the Devs will remove most of the blueprints (including the Habitat Builder) from your PDA, giving you a much more limited set to work with at game start.

This has me thinking, about how NOT being able to use the HabTool will affect my initial game play. Playing in Survival mode, I follow a pretty fast, efficient start up routine I've developed. I usually have all of my essential gear and everything I need to build an initial base in under twenty minutes (usually right around the 10-12 minute mark), depending on where my Life Pod splashes down.

I'm still pondering how my strategy will change without an early HabTool, but I thought I'd ask what you (other players) do in the earliest phase of the game.

So...assuming you play on Survival or Hardcore, what do YOU do in the first ten minutes of game play?

EDIT: For me, assuming I don't have a HabTool, I go for the nearest Kelp Forest to get 6 pods for Rubber. I pay attention to where the nodes are, but I don't bother collecting any yet. Along the way I try to grab a few Airsacks and 2 other game fish, any type. I want 4 quartz and at least 1 piece of scrap metal to round out the first load. That means I've got everything for Knife, Fins, 2 air tanks, Food, and Water (I never eat Airsacks, they become water bottles). If I have a fifth piece of Titanium handy, I make a set of Pipes and anchor my pod before I do anything else. After that, since I have more air and speed, I take the knife and head back to the forest to get some vines and start hunting for nodes to give me 2 copper, 2 lead and some silver (lava geyser is your friend). Hopefully I spot a Crash plant and play a quick game of tag to grab the powder for a welder. All I need after that is 4 acid shrooms and at least 3 salt, and I'm good for the second load. I build a pair of batteries, then a Scanner, Welder and a Radsuit. I dig pits below the life pod to store things and sort raw materials into the pits for storage. Live fish go into the locker in the life pod for food and water supply. After/during that I watch for fragments to scan, and collect scans of everything I can in the area around the pod.

Comments

• DumaDuma Oklahoma Join Date: 2016-02-02 Member: 212475Members
    Water. Titanium quartz, and silicone for air tank fins survival knife. With the removal of tools ingredients for batteries will drop down the list. They will be replaced with stockpiling cured fish, and manufactured water with salt being so prevalent now. Beyond that will be stockpiling materials for "base" at the chosen location.

All being based upon the assumption that "basic" items like fins air tank and knife are still available for early build upon crash down.

I guess add welder to that. Assuming... that we still have to repair the pod.
  • e4envye4envy United States Join Date: 2016-07-08 Member: 219849Members
    Survival knife, scanner, and seaglide as soon as possible, which usually ends up being around 10 minutes for the first two and anywhere from 20 minutes to a half hour for the seaglide. I try to make sure I have all the essential early-game tools before I go out and do too much exploring or base building.
    The scanner has been in the after welder fins, and water realm. As of my last new games I have limited exploration, and "large" base building. Cyclops and Seamoth as well. Never liked the 'glide. I have tried to work on, and out priorities as well as really look at the "drop" sight. Getting ready to really play it in a limited starting sense.
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    build these items: Flashlight, seaglide, welder, knife, fins and a radiation suit. afterwards i go blueprint hunting, fix the aurora and then go look for seamoth fragments. (This part is probably past 10 mins) THEN i go to the grassy plateus wreck get a bunch of fragments grab the poster and go to the edge of the grassy biome and the shroom forest biome. there i collect cyclops hull and bridge fragments. then its home time!
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    i like to see myself as pretty efficient. after i made the mvb i got all the materials for a seamoth in unser 5 mins.
  • hmcivhmciv TX Join Date: 2016-04-21 Member: 216033Members
    edited July 2016
    I get myself killed by a Stalker, Crash Fish, Biters, Sand Shark, Bone Sharks, Drooping Stingers, and CO2
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    The very first thing I do is climb out the top of the lifepod and leap off with a 'Weeeeeeee!'

Then its gathering titanium, quartz, a handful of creepvine seeds and the occasional airsack while scanning all fragments I come across in the shallows. Basically, stockpiling every available resource I come across (except corals, I hate destroying them knowing they wont come back so I avoid doing so unless absolutely necessary) When night falls I go peeper hunting since they are less aware at night. Once dawn arrives I put as many peepers into storage as possible and cook what I need - establishing a stock of food and water to last the day at least. The following night the hunt continues.

I guess thats actually 20 minutes isnt it?
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    edited July 2016
    Hmm... my plan of attack when the change occurs? High priority on the survival knife, fins and the scanner (unless the scanner is also removed from our starting blueprints in which case I'll have to collect blueprint parts for it). Everything else afterwards. And LOTS of waterproof lockers for storage, mostly for future tech (unless the recipes get changed as well).

As for the topic, Scanner, fins and knife are priority one. Then while getting parts for the rad suit I'll look for four silver ores. They will be important for the habitat builder and the first fabricator I build. Everything else comes after that.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    First titanium and quartz for two air tanks, then a scanner, then vine pods for a knife and fins, then lead and vine for a radiation suit before the Aurora explodes. In between whatever I need for sustenance and a peeper or two to be more secure while in the kelp forest. After that crash powder and salt for magnesium to get a welder and repair the pod but that's past ten minutes, I guess.
    With tech being harder to acquire I personally don't see a reason to get to the Aurora in a hurry. My other priority is the stillsuit. I don't care to overharvest the airbags. The "common" table coral doesn't break off for me so bleach and coral are out for making water.

Next priority is stocking first aid kits.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Duma wrote: »
    The "common" table coral doesn't break off for me so bleach and coral are out for making water.
    Try hitting the coral growths on the tubes. Those drop the samples. The other table corals don't frop anything for me either. Tubes do.

Fathom wrote: »
    The "common" table coral doesn't break off for me so bleach and coral are out for making water.
    Try hitting the coral growths on the tubes. Those drop the samples. The other table corals don't frop anything for me either. Tubes do.

That might do the trick thanks.
  • EnglishInfidelEnglishInfidel Canada Join Date: 2016-07-04 Member: 219533Members
    This is what I did for my no-kill-fish-observe-natural-ecosystem run we talked about in the other thread.

Med kit, patch up.

Swim out and grab some creep vine seeds, survival knife.
    Go through the coral tube and surrounding area, scanner.

Swim my ass off to the island, scan planters, tables, search light, etc, get a sample of each fruit/flower.
    Swim home, build habtool then multi-purpose room asap and get a farm going.

Takes a bit longer than 10 minutes but if you're quick you never have to kill a fish. After that I just take my time, no pressures, but I make a SeaMoth somewhat a priority (one of my favourite vehicles in any game at this point, fun to pilot) so I can go and fix the radiation and ditch the radiation helmet for the rebreather.
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    The vary first thing I do is get a second air tank, and then I create a knife before exploring.
  • SansTheSkelebroSansTheSkelebro Italy Join Date: 2016-04-27 Member: 216071Members
    I gather a lot of resources, I build a scanner, a knife, the fins and a welder, then i start searching for the seaglide and solar panel blueprints.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited July 2016
    Recently this is how my first 10 minutes in the game goes, roughly :smiley:

Take medkit, heal -- take the 2 water bottle and 2 nutrition bar from the built-in locker in the Lifepod
    Exit Lifepod, gather 2 scrap metal and 4 quartz -- Make 2 airtanks
    Locate the nearest Giant coral tube and gather few copper and lead (plus a bit of titanium in the process)
    Make the scanner tool, then head for the nearest Kelp forest, scanning frags along the way -- gather 6 creepvine seeds
    come back to lifepod -- make Fins and the knife

That takes roughly 10 mins to do. On my 2nd pass in the kelp forest i gather 4 creepvine pieces and try to locate a silver to make the Anti-Rad suit and a computer chip for the Habitat builder. After that, it differs from game to game .... Ill sometimes go for the MVB and the seamoth, sometimes ill go for creating a seabase first :smiley:

I somehow usually dont go for the welder very early in the game as i noticed that wether the lifepod is fixed or not it doesnt change anything. It still functions ok for what i need it to do till i get my first seabase. Ill need the welder tool much more once the Seamoth is created, which isnt before roughly 45mins in the game. I often dont rush making a seamoth since im a heavy Seaglide user here. Ill often wait till i have several depleted batteries then make them out in Powercells THEN ill go for the MVB and seamoth.
  • SmarterThanAllSmarterThanAll Holland Michigan Join Date: 2016-06-24 Member: 219021Members
    Have to wonder. If things change as much as anticipated if it wouldn't be more feasible to handle the first 10/20 minutes work/gather/fabricate then head to the island. Ample food, and no "water" hazards. With basic fins it is no stretch to take a 3 to 5 minute swim to the floating island.

Just a thought.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Have to wonder. If things change as much as anticipated if it wouldn't be more feasible to handle the first 10/20 minutes work/gather/fabricate then head to the island. Ample food, and no "water" hazards. With basic fins it is no stretch to take a 3 to 5 minute swim to the floating island.

Just a thought.

Going to the island has definitely been a key point of my strategy up to this point, at least. The abundance of food/water, many useful items to scan (grow beds especially, but also a few fragments), and seeds for future farming make it an early destination for me. I make sure I have a knife, a scanner, and plenty of room to store the samples I gather before I head out. Not having a HabTool will make it less of a priority, I think, but the supply of food/water can't be ignored. I typically spend my first ten mins or so adapting myself to the underwater environment, before I get serious about exploring. Without the extra gear, a human can't compete with the natives very well, so I build extra air tanks so I can stay under longer, fins so I can swim faster/farther, a knife so I can gather plant samples, a radsuit so I can avoid radiation damage, and so forth.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Im the kind of player that like to roleplay alot, for the simple goal of self amusement :smiley:
    for this reason i never go to the island until i receive the message radio from the 2nd in command telling any survivor about the islands south of the aurora. The player dont get this message very early in the game so i dont go there very early.

That forces me to rely on other ways to survive. As i dont like to depend on fish alone i settle for the nutrient blocks early game then slowly switch to creepvine/jelly plants with a mix of fish i breed in my Alien Containment aquarium later on. Something that not everyone knows, also, is that Koosh Samples can be eaten for sustenance :)
    Yeah, but they taste like wet socks (shudders at the thought).
    scubamatt wrote: »
    Yeah, but they taste like wet socks (shudders at the thought).

mixed in a hearty creepvine/jelly salad it becomes almost good taste! *add alot of creepvine seed oil! :wink:
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    Just got the game so my 10 minutes was between being to scared to get out and wondering what I am suppose to do.
    Toothless wrote: »
    Just got the game so my 10 minutes was between being to scared to get out and wondering what I am suppose to do.

Welcome to the game! Definitely take a look around at what other folks do, and check out the Wiki as well. Lots of good info available, and its a great game. :)
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    scubamatt wrote: »

Welcome to the game! Definitely take a look around at what other folks do, and check out the Wiki as well. Lots of good info available, and its a great game. :)

Thanks, had a look around and the wiki helped a lot.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members

This was how I felt when I first got the game. Then I noticed the waterproof locker blueprint...
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    Here's what I do in an order from first to latest:
    -Survival knife
    -Tank x1 (room for gloves)
    -Fins
    -Scanner
    -Radiation Suit
    -Seaglide
    -Builder
    -Base (multipurpose room and hatch w/solar pannels x3)
    -Fabricator, Medkit builder, Alien Containment (Peeper, Airsack, Boomerang, Stalker, Rabbit Ray)
    -Mobile Vehicle Bay
    -Seamoth
    The seamoth is as far as I have gotten into the game, but I don't use it because of the infuriating and nauseating controls!
  • arcasorarcasor Italy Join Date: 2016-06-14 Member: 218577Members
    Playing in Freedom mode, my priorities are oxygen tanks, knife, radiation suit and scanner
  • RedMallieRedMallie America Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214355Members
    Arcasor, I also play in Freedom mode. I make tanks or scanner first, depending on how easily I get copper. Then I make a welder (I learned the hard way long time ago that when a base leaks, it will be wrecked quickly, unless you have a a welder at hand). The fins and radiation suit are my next priority. After this, I try to scan as many things as I can, and in the process get to making a knife. While I scan things around, I search for a good spot for my first base and make the Habitat tool. This is probably my first hour of play.

Toothless, I am just a little bit less scared in this game after having it for at least 5 months, hahaha!!! It's unnerving how the swimming beauties can play with you in the most unexpected moments.