This is supposed to be pacifistic, right?

Comments

• RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    I mean, you can also put a stasis field around creatures that swim into the lava vents, essentially frying them in place. You can cut them to death with a survival knife, too.

The way I see it you can play this game any way you want- and no matter what, someone's gonna find some way to be violent. Why should we try to stop someone by restricting them? It would waste time and create lots of arguments. If I can play pacifist ically, I will- which I can, so I do.

You can also ram things repeatedly with your seamoth, not a recommended tactic against the Reaper, but it works wonders against swarms of Bleeders and/or Biters. Especially biters. They seem to home in on you like a magnet - even if you're in the seamoth.

I tend to play more or less peacefully unless the fauna force my hand - which generally is just them darn Bleeders and Biters. I'd find the game kinda dull if suddenly all the Sand Sharks and whatnot just vanished. While they don't respawn naturally(?), if somehow they do start dying off - and I've seen fights break out at times when predators from one area brush up against the territory of another; also mesmers triggering Crash chain-detonations in the Kelp caves - I can just hatch some eggs and then release them again. And that actually feels pretty nice, repopulating and healing the environment after something went wrong, whether it was my fault or not xD

• eastofdeatheastofdeath usa Join Date: 2016-02-28 Member: 213559Members
    Link is not working for me.
  • BolodeflocosBolodeflocos Brazil Join Date: 2016-06-22 Member: 218932Members
    Link is not working for me.

Here
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2016
    As long as we can manipulate the environment and drive our subs at ramming speed, we will find ways to cause code 187
  • Funsauce32Funsauce32 Canada Join Date: 2016-06-09 Member: 218339Members
    The devs have said many times that this is a pacifistic
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Funsauce32 wrote: »

Very true, i absolutely love to ''Pacify'' them biter with my seamoth's windshield. Do it all da time :smiley:
  • tyler111762tyler111762 Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada Join Date: 2015-05-17 Member: 204558Members
    but never ever will they give us weapons......
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    Funsauce32 wrote: »

The only quote I've seen from the devs on that topic is the interview with the original game designer, who wanted a 'gun free' game.
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    They never said they were going to totally nerf the game. There are players who enjoy playing whatever game like it's a version of whack a mole and will happily use whatever they have handy to amuse themselves killing things.

I kinda wanted to smack that guy upside his pointy little head when he tried to drill arm the reefback...but, well...Everyone gets to play their own game.
  • scubamattscubamatt Georgia, USA Join Date: 2016-05-22 Member: 217295Members
    edited June 2016
    (stops grilling a fish for a moment, and points at you with a BBQ fork)

Everyone should be able play Subnautica however they like, since its a sandbox game (per the developers). Unfortunately some folks think that means they get to advocate for restrictions on how others should be allowed to play (the militant Friends Of Fish forum terrorist group, for example, or the trolls who come out and try to shout you down for asking about Spears). I respect the game designer's personal preference for a gun free world, even if I disagree with the concept. However, it is pretty hard to preach to me about this being a game where 'you are supposed to get along with the environment, and find a way to outwit the predators, not kill them'.

(chuckles and takes a swig from a bottle of ice cold Big Water)

The scenario is **explicitly** presented as "You are the sole survivor of a spaceship crash, stranded on a hostile and alien world. You must find a way to survive until you are rescued or escape." Its not a vacation to a religious retreat for a few months of contemplation and navel gazing, its a survival scenario. Its a beautiful setting, full of color and cool critters/fauna...but unless you are playing in Creative mode, you can *die* in the game. In the Survival and Hardcore modes, you WILL die simply by standing still for about an hour of real time. No key strokes, no moving around, just log in and wait - the timer is ticking and you will soon *die* of starvation and thirst. The game *forces* you to get out there and start competing with the natives for food, water, and air.

(rubs a slice of marblemelon on the fish, then turns it over on the grill)

Humans are tool using, intelligent, Apex Predators. (uses BBQ fork to point at the scuba gear on the bench nearby) We are at the top of the food chain on every planet we've colonized. Its what we do, its what every predator does - try to dominate the rest of the food chain. Plop me on an alien planet and tell me that its going to be at least a year and a half before anyone can rescue me (if ever), and you can be certain that I will set about dominating my little area of the biosphere. You tree hugging, no-weapons, behavior modification fanatics are doing *the same thing* I am, trying to control your environment so you don't get killed. I simply choose to do it in a more efficient and practical manner, one that has a proven track record of success. By killing off the things that try to kill me, and doing that proactively when possible.

(puts down BBQ fork, wipes hands, then gestures at the setting sun and the gentle waves near the base)

Its nice and peaceful here...now. You can sit here in the chair and enjoy some food and drinks, listen to those Gasopods grunting over there in the valley I made, enjoy the steam geyser that makes a little warm spray every few minutes...and do it without worrying about Stalkers, Sandsharks, Bone Sharks, Crash Plants, Reapers or any of the other God forsaken murderous beasts on this planet coming over to try and eat you. They've learned that this little patch of the planet belongs to me, the New Neighbor, and its a Really Bad Idea to try and eat me. I like it that way. It gives me time to relax, meditate and contemplate my navel...
    Co-exist only works for me when the other being is not trying to eat me, after that its on.
    The way I see it is, if it them or me, I will defend my right to exist.
    Weapons or not I will exist, using the tools I have on hand, by the grace of God or Dev...

e2iu8ilm0vvc.gif

Survival is not a Game its a way of life. As scubamatt points out if you just stand around you will die, same in real life if you do nothing you get, well nothing.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited June 2016
    Co-exist only works for me when the other being is not trying to eat me, after that its on.
    The way I see it is, if it them or me, I will defend my right to exist.
    Weapons or not I will exist, using the tools I have on hand, by the grace of God or Dev...

e2iu8ilm0vvc.gif

Survival is not a Game its a way of life. As scubamatt points out if you just stand around you will die, same in real life if you do nothing you get, well nothing.

** Attacks @eastofdeath with a flurry of tickles **

Try 'n survive dat!
    edited June 2016
    Mr. Tickles is my last name, survival is the game with charm and wit to defeat your flurry.

@Rainstorm
    "** Attacks @eastofdeath with a flurry of tickles **"
    Try 'n survive dat!
    [/quote]

edited June 2016
    Mr. Tickles is my last name, survival is the game with charm and wit to defeat your flurry.

@Rainstorm
    "** Attacks @eastofdeath with a flurry of tickles **"
    Try 'n survive dat!

:smiley: Well played there, i admit defeat! :wink:
  • yomamayomama On the freeway Join Date: 2016-04-17 Member: 215861Members
    Totally agree. And now I regret the burger I had for lunch....suddenly I'm craving FISH
  • ResolutionBlazeResolutionBlaze The Dunes Join Date: 2016-04-06 Member: 215392Members
    edited June 2016
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    yomama wrote: »
    Totally agree. And now I regret the burger I had for lunch....suddenly I'm craving FISH

There's a crossover marketing idea - Swanson's Peeper-shaped Fish Nuggets! Hoverfishsticks! The possibilities are endless!
  • DefectiveDelfinDefectiveDelfin Planet earth Join Date: 2015-07-19 Member: 206262Members
    There's a misconception that the Devs are pacifists and this game is supposed to be peaceful, as they refuse to add guns. From my point of view, this game isn't pacifistic. This game supports killing. Heck, you have to kill a ton of creatures in order to progress through the game. The game just doesn't want to give you a direct way to do it.

Picking up a gun and shooting a creature isn't as fun as, say, using the stasis rifle on them, then electrocuting them with the Seamoth. You might say "what about the knife! Or gas torpedoes!" Those take skill to use. You have to kite around enemies and strafe left and right, dodging attacks in order to stab an enemy. You have to compensate for projectile travel time and aim at where the target is going to go in order to successfully gas a target. With direct weapons like guns, aim, shoot the end.

The Devs aren't pacifistic, they just want to encourage a different way of playing and a different play style from gamers. They want creativity, they want you to think.

Stasis frying fish is creative and fun

Ramming fish is creative and fun and there's consequences

Electrocuting, then stasis stabbing fish also isn't direct killing

Tl;dr Game isn't pacifistic, also sorry about bringing in the great gun debates of 2015, it was an example.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    There's a misconception that the Devs are pacifists and this game is supposed to be peaceful, as they refuse to add guns. From my point of view, this game isn't pacifistic. This game supports killing. Heck, you have to kill a ton of creatures in order to progress through the game. The game just doesn't want to give you a direct way to do it.

"There's a misconception" and "from my point of view" seem pseudo-contradictory to me. Also not sure how you "have to kill" in SN, unless you mean it's impossible to drive without hitting anyone.