Seaglide Power

124»

Comments

• DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Honestly, I had no idea so many people even used this thing. I always considered it a waste of inventory space.
  • KaybeKaybe Join Date: 2016-09-19 Member: 222425Members
    edited September 2016
    They must have changed its power usage as its most certainly not 1% every five seconds now. It's five times that draining now.

But yes, pod 17 has a beautiful treasure drove of useful fragments for the early game, although new players won't know that.

Also ... there ARE situations where the Seaglide would be a good idea over the Seamoth. For example, while I haven't gone yet, I'd probably use the Seaglide to get to the Aurora as I don't want to leave my Seamoth hanging outside to be randomly destroyed by a Reaper. This assuming the Reaper would attack it if you're not inside it, which I'm not actually sure of.

Also, Seamoth and Cyclops both have crush depths. Seamoth starts at 200m which is still quite shallow. So you could easily run into situations where you would park the Seamoth at 195m, and then use the Seaglide to head down the rest of the way.
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Just made a Seaglide in a new game and it is using up power faster. Around 2 seconds per percent. Interestingly at water level the power usage is lower, some 3-4 seconds. Not sure if that's intended or caused by skipping out of the water when you keep holding space to surface.
  • CaptagearCaptagear Join Date: 2016-08-28 Member: 221804Members
    Kaybe wrote: »
    They must have changed its power usage as its most certainly not 1% every five seconds now. It's five times that draining now.

But yes, pod 17 has a beautiful treasure drove of useful fragments for the early game, although new players won't know that.

Also ... there ARE situations where the Seaglide would be a good idea over the Seamoth. For example, while I haven't gone yet, I'd probably use the Seaglide to get to the Aurora as I don't want to leave my Seamoth hanging outside to be randomly destroyed by a Reaper. This assuming the Reaper would attack it if you're not inside it, which I'm not actually sure of.

Also, Seamoth and Cyclops both have crush depths. Seamoth starts at 200m which is still quite shallow. So you could easily run into situations where you would park the Seamoth at 195m, and then use the Seaglide to head down the rest of the way.

yeah reapers go for empty seamoths and bash them to pieces. Seen it twice, so when I head over those areas i just sea glide it. :)
    SEAMOTH CHANGE!

You may as well change the title of this thread. Looks like Seamoth power cell usage just went through the roof in a dramatic way in today's patch. I drained 75% of my cell in around 5 minutes of piloting. On top of that, it drains REALLY fast when you step out of the water and into the submersible and have to regain O2. I had to look online to find where the power cell charger was as there was no way I could foresee using the Seamoth at all anymore without carrying at least three or four rechargeable power cells on me at all times.

I don't yet have the Cyclops or PRAWN suit, so don't know how those got affected.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited September 2016
    SEAMOTH CHANGE!

You may as well change the title of this thread. Looks like Seamoth power cell usage just went through the roof in a dramatic way in today's patch. I drained 75% of my cell in around 5 minutes of piloting. On top of that, it drains REALLY fast when you step out of the water and into the submersible and have to regain O2. I had to look online to find where the power cell charger was as there was no way I could foresee using the Seamoth at all anymore without carrying at least three or four rechargeable power cells on me at all times.

I don't yet have the Cyclops or PRAWN suit, so don't know how those got affected.

this is something we had in Experimental for a few weeks now. You constantly loose oxygen now, in bases and vehicles. The vehicles now tries to make up for the oxygen loss and constantly drains the powercell to replenish O2. It happens in the Seamoth, Cyclops and PRAWN

Also, when youre in a base, you'll notice it too altho it doesnt matter much since O2 in bases dont drain power .... yet :wink:
    Its hard to tell if its a planned feature or a bug as no Devs ever commented on this, even tho many posts were made on this subject ....
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    Rainstorm wrote: »
    SEAMOTH CHANGE!

this is something we had in Experimental for a few weeks now. You constantly loose oxygen now, in bases and vehicles. The vehicles now tries to make up for the oxygen loss and constantly drains the powercell to replenish O2. It happens in the Seamoth, Cyclops and PRAWN

Also, when youre in a base, you'll notice it too altho it doesnt matter much since O2 in bases dont drain power .... yet :wink:
    Its hard to tell if its a planned feature or a bug as no Devs ever commented on this, even tho many posts were made on this subject ....

God...Damn...

Micromanaging my power supply so I can micromanage my oxygen usage. Is this their plan to force us to use pipes? I mean, who needs inventory space when you have to load up on power cells and pipes. I guess we'll just collect those mass amounts of resources to build the launch pad and the rocket by making thousands of trips in our power sucking prawn with the one storage upgrade we can give it.
  • DrownedOutDrownedOut Habitat Join Date: 2016-05-26 Member: 217559Members
    I have yet to acquire a Seamoth, but if it's as bad as reported I'll skip on this update and any that don't fix the whole vehicle issue. I am fine with a higher drain on the non-item vehicles because they always did have a bit surplus and if it makes light & oxygen more relevant that's a better, but having only 6-7 minutes with no pause feature is not acceptable.
  • RalijRalij US Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217092Members
    The constant drain thing even when not in use is a bummer. There should at least be a way to park it and take the keys out, so to speak. Does it still do this when docked? That's going to severely shorten the Cyclops' trip ability when carrying the seamoth or prawn and will suck more juice out of your base when not in use.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    The constant drain thing even when not in use is a bummer. There should at least be a way to park it and take the keys out, so to speak. Does it still do this when docked? That's going to severely shorten the Cyclops' trip ability when carrying the seamoth or prawn and will suck more juice out of your base when not in use.
    I haven't played with the new update yet myself, but I'm pretty sure the "constant drain" only applies when you're actually in the vehicle (and using up its air so it has to generate more).
  • HerugrimHerugrim The Poconos Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221402Members
    So basically to use vehicles we have to pack extra power cells, okay. Not sure how that's making the game better or more challenging.

Having plants in your base should be able to counter oxygen draining power. It would actually give a use for living walls and plant shelves. Also building above water level should mean unlimited oxygen (watch as everyone builds on floating island).

I remember someone posting around here that everything should use up extra power in the base including breathing, alien containment, lights, and even plants. I guess they liked that idea. Oh well.
  • MiralityMirality New Zealand Join Date: 2016-08-05 Member: 221004Members
    I'm anticipating a lot more moonpool-driven blackouts in the early-mid game, especially for those foolish enough to build one in a solar-powered base.
    edited September 2016
    Discovered something yesterday when someone suggested it ... somewhere. If you turn off the headlights on your vehicle before exiting it, it stops the slow energy bleed while outside your vehicle. Tested it. Of course, this doesn't help the catastrophic energy usage when actually using if since you need those headlights when you're in deep.

Also, I'm cool with carrying a spare cell as that makes sense and that's what I did prior to the update. But now, you need to carry a good 3 or 4 spares if you plan on being out for a while (20-30 minutes is a while?). Unlike the Seaglide, you can't just pack up a Seamoth in your inventory when you have no more power cells. :/

But you're right about the weird constant O2 drain while in the moth or base. I noticed it too. If they implemented some new feature that made it cost energy to breath, that would explain the much higher drain on the moth as it is noticeably higher when you need to replenish from low O2. A bug, maybe? If they implemented an energy drain in base as well, that would effectively render a Bioreactor useless as you drain energy faster by breathing than it produces, no?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Ralij wrote: »
    There should at least be a way to park it and take the keys out, so to speak.

If you take the powercells out of the vehicle then it can't drain them. Not an ideal solution I know, but it's an option.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    But you're right about the weird constant O2 drain while in the moth or base. I noticed it too. If they implemented some new feature that made it cost energy to breath, that would explain the much higher drain on the moth as it is noticeably higher when you need to replenish from low O2. A bug, maybe? If they implemented an energy drain in base as well, that would effectively render a Bioreactor useless as you drain energy faster by breathing than it produces, no?

The Bioreator is MUCH better than it used to be, now that we can feed it any and every biological things. Of course, its energy production is lower than the solar panels making it kinda useless in the long run if you got any Water Filtration Machine (even just 1) in your base. Its upside is that it continues to produce energy at night, compared to the panels, altho at a very low rate.

Unless its just an outpost, you can't really use just the bioreactor to power a main base. Im not going to make the trial of the bioreactor here, as its better than it used to be and still has its uses, but i personally rarely use it due to its low energy production rate. Sometimes ill make one, if i got a spare room in my base config, coupled with many solar panels.

Yeah, Bioreactor is definitely just for outposts deep below where solar panels are no longer viable. I'd see them for spots you need to make a quick pitstop in to rest or maybe craft a couple of bottles of water. But if O2 consumption drains base power this quickly, you'd have long no-air brownouts as your breathing sucks more energy than the Bioreactor is able to output, hence rendering them useless.

Otherwise ... think about it. Don't want to passively drain your Seamoth? Build a quickie multipurpose room next to the wreck with a hatch, drop a bioreactor and some fish, and poof ... instant dig site shelter. But with the current power drain from O2, neither Moth nor mini-base would be able to support you for more than a few minutes.

Needless to say, this is not a good a good update for exploration or excavation. Only safe space, unless you're carrying a $#$^load of power cells, is back at your main base. Which is silly.
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Well... on the bright side you can use all those dead batteries to make live power cells...
    Correction: Soon to be dead power cells ;)
    edited September 2016
    The energy drain on the seamoth is kinda only early game tho. The minute you acquire the Vehicle Modification Station and the Moonpool you can craft rather easily a solar charger that'll negate this heavy energy consumption above 200m. Its still annoying for when you're below 200m for extended periods of time but nothing prevents you then to just hop back up above 200m, have the seamoth charge back up to 100% (given its daytime of course) then plunge back down.

Its not a perfect solution for the seamoth but its still pretty good :smiley: