"Water room" instead of hatches

2»

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    ADM_Ntek wrote: »
    "super science force fields" dude it is a sci fic game were you assemble buildings with some sort of energy beam but force fields are to much.

The irony of this statement is not entirely lost on me.

Not every problem requires a high-tech solution. I have no problem conceding the existence of a matter-rearrangement construction system ('nano-lathing') in the same fictional frame of reference as solid titanium bulkheads and physical pressure doors.

If a system works particularly well, there's no real need to 'science the shiz out of it', is there?

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    Manually operated airlock doors do exist in real life. Absolutely no need to involve super-science and force fields here.
    Simple physical principles work just fine as they are.

Not a huge fan of purely automatic doors, unless there's a manual over-ride to relieve the pressure on the other side of the door.

Of course, without a fully functional pressure mechanic in the game, this discussion is entirely moot. ;)

The easiest solution would be a flood button that signals the station to flood or pump out water in the section you're in. It uses the already existing breach handling. Pressing the button simulates a breach and pressing again simulates a sealed breach. The button is just like a label which costs a copperwire.

Everything else is already in the game to build a flood chamber.
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Rekt, and it wasn't even me that did it.

K
  • Zamar037Zamar037 BC, Canada Join Date: 2016-02-18 Member: 213178Members
    You can place a hatch on the bottom of a regular corridor if you want something in the meantime. I use that now, so I don't feel like a side hatch will flood the base when I use it.
  • kolboomkolboom Germany Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214670Members
    while the "water room" is much more realistic than a hatch, I would not want to waste (my) (the game) time to enter/exit a base and every time watch the animations until the airlock process is finished.
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    kolboom wrote: »
    while the "water room" is much more realistic than a hatch, I would not want to waste (my) (the game) time to enter/exit a base and every time watch the animations until the airlock process is finished.

me neither. that being said they could very well make an animation for this like the bulkhead door and put an option to disable these animations if the player so wishes. that way everyone would be happy, leave the option on if you dont mind the time-consumption or check the option off if you dont want it
  • GlyphGryphGlyphGryph USA Join Date: 2015-02-19 Member: 201435Members
    I just always assumed this was literally how the "hatch" worked and it just didn't show us the animation because who wants to wait for that. Otherwise why would the hatch have to be at the end of a tube instead of being flush with the wall.

Not the aquarium hatches make a little bit less sense.
  • jak_frjak_fr Join Date: 2016-07-17 Member: 220359Members
    edited July 2016
    I agree with that idea but the animation has to be really short and dynamic like that of the seamoth docking, as people are concerned about the waste of time.

It would require limited efforts from the devs (I suppose): they would have to shut the space between the hatch and the multipurpose room with an automatic door and recycle that cool "flood/reverse flood" effect.

• A_FREAKING_DUCKA_FREAKING_DUCK Join Date: 2016-04-03 Member: 215296Members
    Would be nice if the moon pool opened and closed like the bottom of the cyclops, would make a lot more sense, seeing as pretty much anything can get into your base from there if it weren't closed.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    I can see both points of view, and so suggest a compromise:

Your starting blueprint would be for an airlock tube. When you go in you have to wait for the water to drain out like in the real world. This would add to difficulty because if you're down to five seconds of air then you still might not make it even though you're inside. This would be the same model as what we have now, with a bulkhead automatically added at the end (model also already exists).

Then add blueprint fragments for the science fiction force-field version that seems to be what we're using now. This would be a new model where you could actually see the shimmering field holding the water back, and you'd just step through it. No door needed at all once you've got that kind of technology.

Sg1stargatefront.jpg

So it would look a lot like this but much smaller.

Downside is the force-field version would require power to use (naturally), which might not be practical if you're base in the middle of nowhere and having to run off bioreactors or something. And when the power goes it floods the whole base in seconds, not minutes.

Of course, the smartest thing to do would be to have the old fashioned metal hatch door on the outside, and the force-field on the inside. That way once you're in you don't have to wait for the water to finish draining - you can just step through the field and let it do it's thing behind you. Meanwhile, should the power fail, well you've only got one tube worth of water leaking into the base (as opposed to the entire ocean), so it's not a complete disaster.
  • rkalorkalo Join Date: 2016-07-20 Member: 220493Members
    edited July 2016
    I don't think hatches should be removed, this game is intimidating enough for new players and hatches only cost 2 titanium and one glass. If you're going for realism then you would have to make a water room something like 8x titanium 4x glass, which would be a massive you know what on top of everything else you need to streamline the early grind
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    My opinion that hatches must stay as is for now, and maybe forever. But IF the devs have some time, there are some things that can be made.
    Idea is that we never like hatch that animation takes more than 2-3 sec. Tooooo slooooow! Much time wasting. I think, only optionthat may reconcile "realism party" and "comfort-gameplay party" is to make hathches accesible only from bottom.
    So the vars that I can propose on the run:
    1) Make possible to construct access to MP-room or corridor from window on their floor. Just like Moonpool, by default we believe that airpressure inside make it possible. C'mon, dont be boring about levels and pressure! Such door looks like already existent hatch, but its position make it less questionable.
    - Think it is preffered variant, except it enforce player to build its base on places where you can access from bottom.
    2) It may be like T- or Г-corridor turned one side to bottom (if we need to separate it from the other structure). Add stairs and bulkhead. Cost little more in titanium because it content alter-corridor AND hatch that we have now.
    3) Hatch now is a corridor upgrade giving it ability to open floor like

My addition to that ideas, that somebody here already spoken to, is problem of ANIMATION of entering the hatch. All problems of positioning it 'on the wall' already discussed upward in the topic, dont need to repeat.
    Suggestion:
    - Animation of climbing stairs from water already exist. So - no work for devs, just to tie it to new place.
    - ADITIONAL ANIMATION of opening the hatchway if there be one (not open hole in floor). Opening may carry additional function - the hatch cover have stair on it.
    One question, shoud the hatchway open inside or outside? I vote for outside, here I for realism.

P.S. Guys, if post is helpful and content ideas that you like, push "Agree" - so it can be more visible for Devs!
  • FathomFathom Earth Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219405Members
    Been thinking about how the current hatches could work. There could be a membrane of memory silicate behind the hatch, that can resist water pressure for a short amount of time and which makes way when you push through, only opening up as far as your body needs and barely lets any water in between. Once you're through, the hatch is closed, the membrane returns to its original shape and any water spilled in gets drained by the station. No need for a magic force field, when you have magic nanites.
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    wouldn't the force field fail and flood the base if their was a power failure
  • ChudovishChudovish Ru Join Date: 2016-07-01 Member: 219418Members
    edited July 2016
    Force field that dont pass the water in your base - it is very, very expensive WALL. Human 80% consist of water)))

...unless it MAGIC though...
  • Enderguy059Enderguy059 Australia Join Date: 2015-10-15 Member: 208486Members
    Why not just build an airlock?
  • TerrazinTerrazin Germany Join Date: 2016-03-01 Member: 213688Members
    I think it is explained somewhere in the PDA that our habitats are supposed to be usable in all kinds of environments, including space. Considering that, an airlock of some sorts would be the most logical option since it is usable in all environments. A mini moonpool or something like that would be cool though...
  • Darwin-EvolutionDarwin-Evolution France Join Date: 2015-06-07 Member: 205310Members
    Or you could just buils a hatch on the floor instead of the walls. That way, water will never flow in, that's how physics work. It's basically a smaller version of the moon pool.

Hey, that's an idea. Maybe they should do hatches that are specially built on the floor of a seabase because they automatically come with ladders?

<div class="sketchfab-embed-wrapper"><iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://sketchfab.com/models/ee2e3791d57245188ad342cb8416acee/embed&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
    <a href="https://sketchfab.com/models/ee2e3791d57245188ad342cb8416acee?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Bases ladder</a>
    by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/fox3d?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Fox3D</a>
    on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_medium=embed&utm_source=website&utm_campain=share-popup&quot; target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
    </p>
    </div>

Just imagine that the top layer is the inside of the base, and the bottom layer is the outside.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    TBH "Water room" kinda sounds like some odd torture chamber :D
  • ArbiterLegendsArbiterLegends Kingston WA Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220540Members
    I could see something like this water room being difficulty based, In the hardest difficulty players will have to create a water room and wait for the animations to finish, and players would have to be careful as to where they places hatches due to flooding. This would really help add difficulty to a fairly easy "hardcore".

Like wise on standard and freedom difficulties, you don't have to wait for the animations and you don't have to be as concerned about placing hatches.

This is just my thought, because I agree that building this stuff would be too intimidating for new players, but I also agree that it is more realistic to have water rooms and that realism would really help to add difficulty to "hardcore".
  • gunmetal563gunmetal563 Join Date: 2015-09-30 Member: 208239Members
    moonpool-like water rooms work on air pressure to keep the water out the deeper you go the more air pressure you would need inside the base which should then need an air equalization chamber if you want to get really complex

this is from an old post of mine: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/141143/airlock

when building hatches it should 1 glass 4 rubber 5 t titanium so that it comes with a bulkhead also, take the hatch room that appears when hatch is build on a room should also come with a bulkhead to make it seem more realistic

ne368r0bch1z.jpg
    e6g7qxydvnjl.jpg

t9zj28oqybr5.jpg

and when placed any ware in a corridor it automatically adds a bulkhead requiring that the corridor is attached to something like another corridor or multipurpose room and not a T or an X corridor

to make things more realistic the bulkhead to the airlock can be auto closing with the player having to wait for the water to fill the airlock before entering from outside, and waiting inside the airlock for it to fill with water before leaving it to go outside with the exception that it is in the floor or bottom of the corridor.

• yellowsubyellowsub manchester Join Date: 2016-07-21 Member: 220525Members
    I love the level of thought that has gone into one feature of the game that doesn't make a huge difference whichever way it works. That said if were going realism then maybe a progressive build might be better.
    stage 1: a hatch as current but can ONLY be built underneath so pressure stops water flooding.
    stage 2: wet rooms with fast flood and drain animation like less then 5 - 10 seconds.
    stage 3: powered stasis fields to hold water back. Instant action but power drain.

I think animations are quite pleasant but could get old fast the option to turn on and off is good but not allowed on hardcore mode.
    something like that
    I feel that the base could just warn you saying "warning: no bulkhead built near hatch, minor flooding will occur" could work.
  • mouser9169mouser9169 usa Join Date: 2016-08-15 Member: 221389Members
    I absolutely abhor this idea. Realism for inconvenience' sake is bad game design.

What we have works and works well. We already have an animation of the water dripping off our goggles or facemask or whatever it is we're wearing. That's enough.

If something like this were implemented, people would watch it once or twice then just use their moonpool - IOW a lot of development time spent on a feature most players would actively avoid using.
    mouser9169 wrote: »
    I absolutely abhor this idea. Realism for inconvenience' sake is bad game design.

What we have works and works well. We already have an animation of the water dripping off our goggles or facemask or whatever it is we're wearing. That's enough.

If something like this were implemented, people would watch it once or twice then just use their moonpool - IOW a lot of development time spent on a feature most players would actively avoid using.

Misread your comment and read abhor as adore so I was so confused reading the rest xD
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    it was for the alien containment room, but
    http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/File:Image03.jpg
    ^this is something i'd like to see in the game
    @Sigmalx I also would love this thing which links the container directly to the exterior, but unfortunately @Obraxis said that they'd given up on that idea some months ago.
  • SigmalxSigmalx USA Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220132Members
    awww, even then dividing a room with bulkheads is a cool idea.
  • HexivaHexiva The Inactive Lava Zone Join Date: 2016-07-06 Member: 219670Members
    mouser9169 wrote: »

Seconded. Having hatches only on the underside of bases would be an acceptable solution for me, although I still feel like it would be unnecessary. The other solution that I'd be cool with would be changing nothing about how the game actually works, but adding an animation of the airlock (that little passage leading from the hatch to your multipurpose room) doors opening behind you. That would imply that there WAS a complicated airlock process, but we, the player, just didn't have to sit through it.