Subnautica's Agonizing Loneliness..

Wolfheart115Wolfheart115 United States Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211832Members
As we all know, the subnautica developers want/wanted to make subnautica a multiplayer game. however, they've recently said doing so would take many months to do, which breaks our hearts as the player, as nothing would make this game more addictive and fun than multiplayer. however, i post this discussion to appeal to the Devs. If we the players cannot have multiplayer, then could you develop something else equally/somewhat as good? i know subnautica is based on a "lone" survivor, but if you had wanted to make multiplayer anyway the "lone" survival wouldn't be so alone. So i propose an NPC. perhaps a survivor that is stranded at the far end of the map, and once rescued will aid the player in their journey. but...that seems a bit too much companionship for the subnautica devs. it would also be highly complex and overcomplicated. so if not an NPC, how about a simpler solution? we all know stalkers can be tamed. but being bitten in the ass the moment i don't have a fish in my hand doesn't exactly make me appreciate the companionship. this game, makes me feel so vastly alone and depressed sometimes. there is no one to be near, except the computer AI voices, and the fish you put in your tanks. So why not make a MOB companion? something equivalent to a dog, and not a damn stalker! they're jerks. they just want me for my fish. no, what about something that can come into your base with you, swim with you, protect you, and maybe even go on land with you? i have no idea what that something would be, but it would definitely make the game allot less depressing once the excitement of building a base wore off. also, on another note, we need more furniture options. beds definitely. I've been making my houses look like haphazard laboratories and using two benches close together to imitate a bed. :'(

Comments

• RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    ugh trying to read this gives me a headache... wall'o'text ain't good. No offense but learn some formatting on paragraphs.
  • TenebrousNovaTenebrousNova England Join Date: 2015-12-23 Member: 210206Members
    edited February 2016
    this game, makes me feel so vastly alone and depressed sometimes. there is no one to be near, except the computer AI voices, and the fish you put in your tanks.

If you feel that way, then that means the devs have done an good job of putting the player in the survivor's shoes and setting the atmosphere. :)
    Co-op could be interesting but it would be best to finish making the the rest of the game first.
  • AshkaelAshkael USA Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213106Members
    My main interest in this game was because of its single-player focus. So many early access survival games focus on chasing the fad of games like DayZ and Minecraft, and I'm glad that Subnautica focuses so much on the player being a lone survivor in a vast, dangerous, alien ocean. You SHOULD feel alone and isolated in this game.
  • corwin375corwin375 Join Date: 2016-01-31 Member: 212388Members
    edited February 2016
    Ashkael wrote: »
    My main interest in this game was because of its single-player focus. So many early access survival games focus on chasing the fad of games like DayZ and Minecraft, and I'm glad that Subnautica focuses so much on the player being a lone survivor in a vast, dangerous, alien ocean. You SHOULD feel alone and isolated in this game.
    agree
  • MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I don't like multiplayer as you get so many idiots/griefers who purely play the game to spoil it for others. Single player ftw!
  • Dracon1023Dracon1023 Join Date: 2016-02-07 Member: 212724Members
    If they do multiplayer, they need to limit it to very few people on a server to preserve the small person, big world feel. It would be more like a small rag-tag group trying to stick together to survive.
  • LeakingAmpsLeakingAmps Join Date: 2016-02-03 Member: 212527Members
    I think when (I can hope :D) Subnautica goes MP, they should limit it to just a few people per server, maybe by not making dedicated servers, but doing something more like remote LAN. So you can invite a few friends to your world, but setting up a dedicated server with a few hundred people wouldn't be do-able. Maybe they'll limit it to two, because that's all the life-boat was rated for? Though I'd prefer 4, 2 would make more sense ATM.
  • HoschieHoschie Cologne Join Date: 2016-02-22 Member: 213327Members
    i know you're supposed to feel lonely, but even if i could play with a friend or two together it's a huge empty world (well except for the fish) and it would make more fun to travel with large submarines like a real crew.
    Nevertheless i agree that there should be a singleplayer, nothing sucks more than an online-gaming-only-force. No matter if you like Minecraft or not, their methode of privat server is the best gamer-friendly solution i've seen so far.

Also it would be fun to find other crewmembers of the aurora (i mean, there were over 100 people onboard)
    Maybe to get special blueprints or other supplies to share with them or just tell them to take care of your the base while you're exploring