It doesn't grow on trees, you know...

13»

Comments

• BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    lxh wrote: »
    This forum is better than any scifi novel! Hehe

[humble] I'd like to think I've gone one better. [/humble] Check out the latest post in the story 'Aurora Falls'. :)
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    This forum is better than any scifi novel! Hehe

[humble] I'd like to think I've gone one better. [/humble] Check out the latest post in the story 'Aurora Falls'. :)

Hehehe, is this an allusion to its previous post and a hidden presumption? LOL, OK
    You're getting more and more sympathetic man. Hehehe
  • JaggSauceJaggSauce Denmark Join Date: 2016-01-30 Member: 212349Members
    are we all just going to gloss over the fact that silver and copper is required to make lead in this game?... okay, cool.
    JaggSauce wrote: »
    are we all just going to gloss over the fact that silver and copper is required to make lead in this game?... okay, cool.

Not at all. It's entirely possible using an atomic transmutation process. The technology currently exists in the real world. Extremely expensive to convert x into y, but that's how new elements are made.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    edited January 2016
    Not at all. It's entirely possible using an atomic transmutation process. The technology currently exists in the real world. Extremely expensive to convert x into y, but that's how new elements are made.

The only issue I take with this is, if we're going to allow for atomic transmutation, then we shouldn't have to collect any resources at all. Every last particle we would need is floating around us in the water...
    The only issue I take with this is, if we're going to allow for atomic transmutation, then we shouldn't have to collect any resources at all. Every last particle we would need is floating around us in the water...

I've already addressed that question several times elsewhere. An advanced seawater filtration system would be capable of harvesting and converting organic and inorganic matter into whatever resources The Survivor requires.

Could be an in-game thing, although I'd prefer to keep a requirement for farming and gathering resource nodes.
    A food replicator would confer a massive survival advantage, although it would still need to be supplied with some form of raw material.

Bugzapper wrote: »

I've already addressed that question several times elsewhere. An advanced seawater filtration system would be capable of harvesting and converting organic and inorganic matter into whatever resources The Survivor requires.

Could be an in-game thing, although I'd prefer to keep a requirement for farming and gathering resource nodes.
    A food replicator would confer a massive survival advantage, although it would still need to be supplied with some form of raw material.

I'm just pointing out the mismatch of concepts. Either we have transmutation and don't need resource gathering, or we don't have it and we need to collect material. Having transmutation for some items like lead, but not for everything else, doesn't make much sense. It should be one way or the other.
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Or you know... It could just be a place holder item! You people are way over analyzing this I think
    Or you know... It could just be a place holder item! You people are way over analyzing this I think

I have a fairly valid reason for over-analyzing Subnautica's tech. It's called 'Aurora Falls'.
  • JacaraJacara Washington Join Date: 2015-06-11 Member: 205391Members
    Simple.
    Due to the land being heavy in Lead the trees need someway to rid themselves of it. So the "Fruit" isn't a fruit at all, it is a means for the tree to rid itself of lead and when it falls to the ground storms and wind blow it into the sea away from the soil that the tree is growing in.
    It just occurred to me that magnesium falls into the same category as lead in the game as the recipe is 3x salt to get 1x magnesium.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    could be a placeholder or it could also be a mistake that was coded in. If I had to guess it's both and that it's for an item that hasn't been added in yet. If it's from a tree I'm going to assume it has to do with the farming update that they're building on currently which means we won't be stuck eating fish and kelp all the time.
    ^ Exactly.

Interesting thread with all the comments arguing the ridiculousness of lead fruit trees, and some people defending them, but simple fact is the tree was recently set up so that the fruit could be picked by the player, and the fruit giving lead was just a quick stand in for testing. It wasn't really intended to be released that way, but it will become a proper food source in the next farming update (and might already be fixed in experimental, I actually haven't had a chance to check yet).
    ^ Exactly.
    Interesting thread with all the comments arguing the ridiculousness of lead fruit trees, and some people defending them, but simple fact is the tree was recently set up so that the fruit could be picked by the player, and the fruit giving lead was just a quick stand in for testing. It wasn't really intended to be released that way, but it will become a proper food source in the next farming update (and might already be fixed in experimental, I actually haven't had a chance to check yet).

I stand corrected. Basically amused by the whole Plumb Tree concept, though.

A tiny bit worried about how I could explain the biological processes involved with at least some degree of plausibility, although I'm perfectly happy that's one bit of the 'Aurora Falls' narrative that can be safely archived in File 13. *sigh of relief*

However, if the inclusion of a simple 'placeholder' game mechanism can spur so lively a discussion, the UWE design team should be justly proud of their creation thus far. I am amazed and inspired by Subnautica, 'warts and all'.

Love your work!

edited February 2016
    I get the feeling they were letting this thread go for a little while out of sheer amusement before stepping in to set the story straight... ;);)
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    I get the feeling they were letting this thread go for a little while out of sheer amusement before stepping in to set the story straight... ;);)

probably, and boy was I surprised when a dev quotes you on something lol
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    Yeah, it's always amusing to indulge wild speculations. But not only that ... I think we've enlightened some other aspects of possible story driven elements and (il)logical resource extraction. But however, I guess you all might agree that theres no such thing as an unsolved mystery. ;)
    My work here is complete. :)

I must go. My people need me.
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    Enough with the coding and science my heads gonna explode maybe it's just some weird mutation in the tree or maybe the devs were drunk when they made it
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Is it stated in the tablet that this tree grows lead? Or could it just be a bug?
  • ComicalSkateComicalSkate Canada, ON Join Date: 2015-05-28 Member: 204993Members
    Why was this discussion brought back to life, why did you comment about the topic over 6 months later? @nauticalperana
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    Why was this discussion brought back to life, why did you comment about the topic over 6 months later? @nauticalperana

This. And why didn't you even bother to play the game before you came here to post? The "issue" mentioned in the OP is non-existent now.
  • Victor32Victor32 Join Date: 2016-04-01 Member: 215181Members
    Hah, one more point in my crusade for better forum moderation here. Why ancient, obsolete forum topics like this one aren't being systematically locked and/or deleted is beyond me. If anything, they confuse new players and re-circulate outdated info that makes the game looks worse.
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    Victor32 wrote: »
    Hah, one more point in my crusade for better forum moderation here. Why ancient, obsolete forum topics like this one aren't being systematically locked and/or deleted is beyond me. If anything, they confuse new players and re-circulate outdated info that makes the game looks worse.
    Obsolete... this is disgusting for me as a new player , I was just getting in my seamoth to go get some lead fruit .. :'(

• Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    Damn. No lead fruit. Didnt even realize it was that old.
  • DagothUrDagothUr Florida Join Date: 2016-07-12 Member: 220125Members
    Lead growing on trees? *snort* If that is meant to be serious .. what's next? The gold sh*tting dragon?

Oh, so you've read the dev notes on the upcoming Sea Dragon Leviathan? :wink:
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    Avaunt, Foul Shade! This thread is dead and buried!

Return to the Hell-mouth that spawned ye, and trouble this plane no more!

BEGONE!
  • ToothlessToothless Uderwater Join Date: 2016-07-10 Member: 220019Members
    This thread is tied to the present with a rubber band !

If you bury it to far in the past... behold it will be the future!! >:)
  • nauticalperananauticalperana The land of the free and the home of the brave Join Date: 2016-05-25 Member: 217491Members
    Devs were probably drunk when they were creating alot of the creatures in the game (namely reapers cuz something (even alien) should not be that dangerous )