It doesn't grow on trees, you know...

Comments

• WhackjobWhackjob Whacktopia Join Date: 2016-01-20 Member: 211736Members
    Just gonna note that people have that odd ability, also. Try drinking lots and lots of fine particle silver in some water or something. It'll build up in your skin and eventually turn you an ashen grey and blue.

There was a US Senator who had that peculiarity. Fell for the ol' snake oil scam.
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    It occurred to me that, this being an alien world, there might be a much more logical evolutionary reason for lead bearing fruits. It could be the case that there is increased background radiation on the planet for one reason or another, which would could result in an evolutionary need for lead concentrations within cell membranes to provide protection against significant mutations. As a result, many creatures may seek out lead as part of their diet. Over the course of evolutionary time, some flora could have adapted to leech lead out of the environment and concentrate it in their fruit, thus making it more of a treat to fauna which consumes it.
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    This forum is better than any scifi novel! Hehe
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    It occurred to me that, this being an alien world, there might be a much more logical evolutionary reason for lead bearing fruits. It could be the case that there is increased background radiation on the planet for one reason or another, which would could result in an evolutionary need for lead concentrations within cell membranes to provide protection against significant mutations. As a result, many creatures may seek out lead as part of their diet. Over the course of evolutionary time, some flora could have adapted to leech lead out of the environment and concentrate it in their fruit, thus making it more of a treat to fauna which consumes it.

only problem I see with this is that from what I can tell a lot of the life on this planet seems to be vertebrates, I could be wrong but in all cases of life exposed to lead it results in lead poisoning and such poisoning usually leads to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

just looking at the causes of it and you can see how detrimental having lead in your system can be. Imagine what it would do you other vertebrates.

only problem I see with this is that from what I can tell a lot of the life on this planet seems to be vertebrates, I could be wrong but in all cases of life exposed to lead it results in lead poisoning and such poisoning usually leads to death.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

just looking at the causes of it and you can see how detrimental having lead in your system can be. Imagine what it would do you other vertebrates.

Again, alien world, alien biological processes. Evolution has a way of compensating for all sorts of things, so, while we here on earth have nothing but negative effects from lead poisoning, on the game planet, several billion years of evolution in a high-lead, high-radiation environment could easily produce creatures which need to eat food with lead in it to survive.
    Yep, but eating such creatures wouldn't become us. Anyway, our food fish seem to be pretty leadless.
    lxh wrote: »
    Yep, but eating such creatures wouldn't become us. Anyway, our food fish seem to be pretty leadless.

Water is one of the best insulators against radiation, these evolutionary processes could have been completely skipped in the underwater environment.
    edited January 2016
    Ya, however, all possible ... or not, or is it?. That's idle. Fact is we've got lead on trees. Hihi
    Ya, however, all possible ... or not, or is it?. That's idle. Fact is we've got lead on trees. Hihi

And I'm ok with that :D
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited January 2016
    An interesting and legitimate question, Bugzapper. But I doubt that we can close the circle of Subnautica's ecology. That should take at least scanable micro organism quantities to answer this question even for fish. But this (sorry, I know it's yours) becomes off topic now and should be discussed in a new or well known thread.

The question of what Skyrays might eat is entirely valid. You might want to read a little deeper into its implications before blithely declaring it an off-topic discussion.

Think on this: What strategies do plants employ to spread their seeds well beyond their point of origin?
    I'm guessing that the Plumb Tree is an ecological 'curve ball' thrown at us by The Devs.

Probably included to provide ample opportunity for much head-scratching and wild speculation.

Well played, Devs. :)
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the Plumb Tree is an ecological 'curve ball' thrown at us by The Devs.

Probably included to provide ample opportunity for much head-scratching and wild speculation.

Well played, Devs. :)

Or maybe as a more logical way to get lead. After all, trees leeching it from the environment and concentrating it in their fruit is still much more plausible than mixing copper and silver...
    edited January 2016
    What strategies do plants employ to spread their seeds well beyond their point of origin?

Admittedly this is a question of ecology, Bugzapper, and it is questionable if the possible lead tree - skyray correlation might explain why we have lead bearing trees. *scratch

• zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    And I almost already accepted the old lead recipe without complaining. ;)

Strange somehow, but I find lead growing on trees more offending than getting it from the fabricator from copper and silver. Maybe because this submolecular replicator tech is too awesome to question, especially after seeing how fast the cyclops gets built almost out of nothing. But trees from nature producing unheavenly and ordinary lead instead alien blood oil to process?

The devs should have invented some quark fibers cable of shielding from radiation and refined from some exotic stuff you find in the lost river or other rare places. If things are alien enough and tech is sci-fi crazy enough no one asks. But lead growing on trees makes it funny. Although the game already has lots of funny recipes.
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    We could take the lead from the escape pod using the base builders disassemble function. After all, we don't need it anymore and there will certainly be some lead there for radiation shielding.
  • lorcogothlorcogoth belgium Join Date: 2015-09-14 Member: 207943Members
    to be honest there are weirder things on this plant.
    for example the island were said lead trees grow is floating and supposedly should move with the sea currents.
    the grand reef has these weird floating orbs that keep close to the bottom by some kind a vine and certain spots seem to indicate that its just normal soil with some kind of algea on them since there are perfectly fitting holes under them so what makes them float the algea?
    not even talking about the warper who seems to break the current laws of physics.

the lead trees seem weird but fit in just fine with the rest of the planet.

edited January 2016
    Just another speculation beside the blanket all possible 'cause alien world theory: I could be wrong but I couldn't find other occurrences than near the abandoned base. These trees seem to be unique and could also be the result of weird experiments. Don't know .. maybe it's just my ignorance of introductory story informations, but for me it's the second indication of previous visitors.
    edited January 2016
    PS: LOL ... I've visited the island again and found these fruits to be named as 'hanging fruit' food +8; h2o +8 ... lol again. It seems the placeholder theory was right and these fruits are nothing more than a bitter dessert. Oh boy, what a fun to speculate with you guys. Hehe
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    PS: LOL ... I've visited the island again and found these fruits to be named as 'hanging fruit' food +8; h2o +8 ... lol again. It seems the placeholder theory was right and these fruits are nothing more than a bitter dessert. Oh boy, what a fun to speculate with you guys. Hehe

Well of course... I said that back on page 1 :smiley:
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    NoLeadTree.jpg

LMAO
    Interesting: You can pick a fruit and plant it in a farming tray. It will then grow to a tree and have fruits of its own.

You can also attack 3 special plant with a knife (orange mushroom, bulbo tree and purple vase plant) and put the seed/saplings you get into a farming tray and they also will grow and mature. They cannot be harvested, though. Too bad those plants cannot go into the planter pot at the moment, so we cannot decorate our seabases with them (yet).
    Idk, I'm still ok with the concept, and am starting to think that maybe more of the flora should have highly unconventional uses like this.
    Points to consider: There was a lead tree when I checked the island. I found it before anyone else (as far as I'm aware), and I couldn't give a wet slap what happens next.
    Nothing surprises me about this game world any more. It's a wild and wacky place.

Also, got a locker full of lead out of it. Zero effort. Care Factor: Zero Point Zero.
    Another thing to consider: Its an Alpha, anything can and will happen. For whatever reasons. I do not consider myself playing the game but playtesting it. At least on experimental - where the fun is!
    Points to consider: There was a lead tree when I checked the island. I found it before anyone else (as far as I'm aware), and I couldn't give a wet slap what happens next.
    Nothing surprises me about this game world any more. It's a wild and wacky place.

Also, got a locker full of lead out of it. Zero effort. Care Factor: Zero Point Zero.
    Dinkelsen wrote: »
    Another thing to consider: Its an Alpha, anything can and will happen. For whatever reasons. I do not consider myself playing the game but playtesting it. At least on experimental - where the fun is!

Both of these things... Not only is it an alien planet and we should expect some fun and interesting twists, but its also an alpha / early-alpha game, so all of it is subject to change.
  • Ltdan83Ltdan83 Michigan Join Date: 2016-01-05 Member: 210956Members
    Perhaps the trees drank some Flint, MI water.
  • SarkothSarkoth Toronto, Canada Join Date: 2016-01-17 Member: 211592Members
    Wait so making lead out of Silver and Copper was too unrealistic so they're moving lead to be harvested from a plant?
    I can react only one way to this idea and its called a facepalm. really.

I can understand they don't want lead to be too easy to get but really. just put the lead in the basalt container, it already has gold and uranium, so its makes sense to use it as the heavy metals container.

What we also need are edible plants so we're not stuck on an all fish diet. Going through the trouble of making a plant harvestable but not giving us food seems like a huge waste of time.

really guys.
  • BIPPITYBIPPITY England Join Date: 2015-06-06 Member: 205283Members
    I'm certain that this was an error.
    Sarkoth wrote: »
    Wait so making lead out of Silver and Copper was too unrealistic so they're moving lead to be harvested from a plant? I can react only one way to this idea and its called a facepalm. really.

Lead is sometimes found in the company of silver and zinc. Little place in New South Wales (Australia) called 'Broken Hill'.

I'm not too concerned about the process of synthesizing lead by combining silver and copper in a Fabricator. Chalk this one up to elemental separation, 'Black Box science' or atomic transmutation. I have no appreciable problem with this. Similarly, lead growing on trees is admittedly a bit bizarre, but potentially possible by using the right amount of Mad Science. Use your imagination, people.

Furthermore, I don't quite understand why some folks insist that I'm 'wrong' for saying something like this, or simply 'disagree' without offering a more plausible explanation. There's a distinct etiquette one should adhere to when posting to an open discussion forum, and someone isn't playing by the *(unwritten) rules...

Looking at you, @drumonman.
    Furthermore, I don't quite understand why some folks insist that I'm 'wrong' for saying something like this, or simply 'disagree' without offering a more plausible explanation. There's a distinct etiquette one should adhere to when posting to an open discussion forum, and someone isn't playing by the *(unwritten) rules...

Looking at you, @drumonman.

I've noticed that too, Bugzapper. You mean some folks? It's rather a new account with zero posts, apparently created to anonymously shift and fake opinion ratios. Well, as a former mod/admin I've had a lot to deal with such tricks 'n fakes, and this forum seems to miss some serious administration imo. But I'm glad it's nothing important and just about a product of the entertainment industry. No wonder that it attracts people who like to play 'games'. ;)