Ingame map how to.

TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
EDIT see bellow link.
My Steam Guide
/EDIT

First of all I cant take credit for the loot locations those were gathered by some one else and I apologize but their name eludes me as I got the map from google via a post some one else was sharing, so to the original Author nice work and thanks, What I'v done is improve its format and layout and add my own tweaks so that the bellow is not only possible but will look good.

827AA1E9F4270133EB53B2E887A6698F7CF5C9DE
2016-01-05_00004.jpg

How to
  • Open Subnautica Saved Game Files.
    For me it's D:\games\Steam\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames\slot0000\screenshots
  • Pick a Screenshot that you don't need and replace it with the map bellow
  • Load game, Build a Picture Frame and Set the map as the image.

Hope this helps.

[Edit: did some more googling and found the original]

Credit for the Loot locations to dep7777777
His Original Guide ( Here )

[EDIT 2 :: I have removed all of dep7777777's markers and made a fresh map, this will allow you to add your own markers to the map and given how fluid the devs are with changes to the map and the position of thins within it, it just makes sense since a lot of the markers placed by dep were out of date for me. ]

Also the downloadable version of the map is in my dropbox folder so it will change often as I tweak it here and there.

Comments

• RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited January 2016
    Dude youre a genius. I LOVE IT! nothing short of that

zjraepamuf87.jpg
  • TaiphozTaiphoz UK Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210749Members
    The cool thing is that because the texture loads on the fly it would be possible to write an application that allows you to place map markers live have it auto save to the image in the screen shots folder and have your in game map update.

I'm still tweaking it tho, A map like this with in game functionality would be even better tho.
  • PeterManizePeterManize Pandolite Join Date: 2015-12-28 Member: 210458Members
    edited January 2016
    Thats awesome! i thought about it but never in this way...

I Literally forgot the unused computers aboard cyclops.

- But in stands about game development this is a huge suggestion about a map layout for the game. Hopefully the devs see this and like it.
    Yeah I think the main issue with mapping a game like this where depth and cave systems are a thing it makes visualizing it all in map form very difficult, but using the biome map for the surface fits as it gives just enough detail to be used by the player without overloading them to to much complex information.

If they ever did implement it they could do it like world of warcrafts dungeon maps, biome map on the surface and then allow us to toggle it to subterranean mode which would show all the caves in flat form no depth.

And if the dev's don't add an in game map then at least we can do the above, and it would not be long before some one wrote as I explained some third part tool to add the functionality that we would like.
    Updated the map with the new biome edits, also tweaked the loot info and added a little predator section at the bottom with colour icons showing where they live.
  • BullvayneBullvayne france Join Date: 2015-11-24 Member: 209453Members
    Hi ... Excellent ... really good idea ...
  • R2T9R2T9 United States Join Date: 2016-01-03 Member: 210867Members
    Taiphoz wrote: »
    Also the downloadable version of the map is in my dropbox folder so it will change often as I tweak it here and there.

How do we access that?
  • SpacedInvaderSpacedInvader Join Date: 2016-01-08 Member: 211083Members
    I could be wrong, but I think you're using the wrong biome map. The current one can be found in the Build18 folder rather than the BareHeightmap folder.
    I might be wrong but the one I am using is the one from Experimental as there are more biomes than what we have in stable at the moment.

Dev info on this would be brilliant.
    Dev info on this would be brilliant.

Looks like the Devs *might* be working on their own implementation of a real in-game map, so I'd expect them to remain quiet on the subject for now (don't want to give us all the secrets I guess?). That said, if you actually freecam to many of the areas on the map according to the OP, you'll find that the biomes don't match up (i.e. there is currently no Koosh zone to the west at all).
    Yeah but if you open debug and look to see what Biome your actually in I'm fairly certain it will read koosh, the biomes are not generated automatically based on the map, I think the biome map probably handles the spawning of loot and fish, but when it comes to actual world stuff like koosh bush's their all hand placed by the art team so when you drive over there and don't see any koosh it's not because the map is wrong but rather that the art team have not worked on it yet.

I might be wrong tho.
  • SporkWitchSporkWitch Rochester, NY, USA Join Date: 2016-01-11 Member: 211254Members
    You don't need to replace a screenshot, just dump the picture into the folder. You can add all the custom images you want this way. My cyclops is covered in kittens ^^
    SporkWitch wrote: »
    My cyclops is covered in kittens ^^

Still tweaking the loot list, think it's now showing all the important bits of loot and the biomes their found in, I know I'm missing some still but as I come accross them I will add them, also I am still only uploading the blank version of the map, my local copy has markers on it for key things like wrecks and important locations but since these change often I see no point in adding them to the above map.

As for the dev's working on an in game map I hope they do, the vision of the map their working on looks a lot like a drone command center to me, two drone pilots to the left and right and an overview map in the center showing where the drones are.

cant wait to try it out either way.
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    so ...where can that tweaked map be downloaded from?
    the one linked in the opening post, it's a file in my dropbox which I save to regularly so any time I update my own map it gets updated as well, minus my map markers which iv now taken out of mine as well at least until the devs stop changing things map wise.
  • raven0akraven0ak finalnd Join Date: 2016-01-15 Member: 211425Members
    ah, that one:) btw, couldn't find floating island on your version of map, also island with mountain is missing from it, also seems to be too many mushroom forests and grand reef feels lacking its "grand" part:)
    (had to check around on my game and at least on experimental original authors map is still more accurate, though it lacks proper tweaks to be actually usable ingame
    The problem for me is that the game has two biome maps in its source files and it's not clear which they are using, I'v checked locations on both maps and both of them have points that don't seem to fit, as playing on experimental with each update there is the chance for the sea floor to change I'v seen caves come out of no where so keeping it 100% accurate is not possible at the moment which is why it's a biome map and not a satellite map.

if anyone knows 100% which biome map is being used in experimental then let me know please I will be happy to adjust the image.
  • ChaumurkyChaumurky Deep Grand Reef Join Date: 2016-01-01 Member: 210715Members
    @Taiphoz : so awesome! Thank you...
  • DinkelsenDinkelsen Graz Join Date: 2015-10-05 Member: 208309Members
    You can find the original map here (from Steam Subnautica Guides)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=520140512
  • DrakazureDrakazure Colorado Join Date: 2016-06-05 Member: 218145Members
    I cant seem to make it work, Please help me

• IcewaveIcewave Canada Join Date: 2015-11-02 Member: 208906Members
    edited June 2016
    Drakazure wrote: »
    I cant seem to make it work, Please help me

same, what am I doing wrong?
    the link leads to nowhere
  • OldHomelessGuyOldHomelessGuy Washington Join Date: 2016-06-24 Member: 219007Members
    edited June 2016
    So is this dead? because there is no link to a dropbox folder just a broken dropbox img that no longer works.

and i don't mean the "Original"
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    edited June 2016
    My personal favorite is the one i have from January, this one: yj9vnvr5weoc.jpg

but there are newer versions literally everywhere on the net, just go to google images you'll see what i mean. Theres also this
    one that isnt too bad, its newer too:

945690wv898o.jpg

Same image, but bigger: Map2_EarlyJune2016

To DL the image just right-click it and ''Save as'' to your hard drive.

As of right now tho, there seems to be a bug in Experimental mode that prevents us from seeing the pictures ingame, thus preventing us from adding images to the Frame sadly =/
    The image in the post above is actually mine also, its updated in the Steam guide which I made for this so if your looking for the most recent version check my steam Guide.

If there is a broken link in the guide be sure to let me know, the link above is probably just out of date because the file names changed and the images were updated and in all honesty I totally forgot about this post. sorry!.
    The image in the post above is actually mine also, its updated in the Steam guide which I made for this so if your looking for the most recent version check my steam Guide.

If there is a broken link in the guide be sure to let me know, the link above is probably just out of date because the file names changed and the images were updated and in all honesty I totally forgot about this post. sorry!.

just to show how well made your map was that im still using it :smiley:
  • LonnehartLonnehart Guam Join Date: 2016-06-20 Member: 218816Members
    Maybe the devs can create an automapping device that you can add to your seabase? Something that tracks your location in the game, I guess. But that tech would be a bit too advanced as you'd need to launch tracking satellites first...
  • omegatauromegataur Spain Join Date: 2016-01-28 Member: 212240Members
    there is a scanner room that gives some mapping... but it sucks for now... i hope it will get better in some update
  • VincentNZVincentNZ Germany Join Date: 2016-05-31 Member: 217829Members
    I always thought the scanner room with the PDA and the beacons as a form of triangulation would work great.
  • TyderfTyderf Join Date: 2015-12-31 Member: 210696Members
    Where do I download this?