Reimagining the scoreboard

2»

Comments

• KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited January 2016
    So far for me the only cons here are a scoreboard with too much informations for rookies to handle (correct me if I am wrong). In the other hand it would be really helpfull for most regular players and vet. The only remaining issue would be to choose what to include and what to exclude there.

So since this is already implemented why not enable a switch on the option (on/off), disable by default and make everyone happy ? the integration time for this feature should be pretty fast.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    TGNS hides from new guests scoreboard icons which don't regard gameplay. That's not an argument for hiding gameplay-relevant icons from rookies.

Having played plenty of games with the feature now, I'd argue for showing tunnel and upgrade icons on the Marine and Alien scoreboards of all players. Rookies can manage this, especially with the educational tooltips.
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wouldn't mind but would like this kind if info to be toggleable, maybe while pressing tab. For me personally it's a lot if info I don't need or can gather from the map if I did need it. would otherwise be distracting visual clutter for me, but can see how some of this would be helpful to new players. The rest I think is more important for commanders and spectators, and most of that info is already provided to them.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2016
    2cough wrote: »
    maybe while pressing tab.
    All the information I have described only shows while pressing tab.

• 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited January 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    2cough wrote: »
    maybe while pressing tab.
    All the information I have described only shows while pressing tab.

Toggleable while pressing tab. Like tab + j toggles extra info on/off
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Following this necro, the feature does not have to be just as I had described. Some QoL feature that has the same effect would be good enough.

I would also really really like to see the welder, hand grenade, and mine icons make it into the scoreboard still.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm in as long as the scoreboard gets an overall aesthetic upgrade, it's been pretty much the same since the alpha with only slight differences being the teams aren't stacked vertically anymore and there are a boatload of little icons scattered about now.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    I'm not sure which server it was (TG maybe) but one of them has an extra number next to kills in ()'s that tracks how many res towers you kill...

It was a nice addition that could even lead to encouraging more people to attack res.
    MoFo1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure which server it was (TG maybe) but one of them has an extra number next to kills in ()'s that tracks how many res towers you kill...

It was a nice addition that could even lead to encouraging more people to attack res.

That was TG. I really don't like that myself, at least how implemented, because you have no way of knowing what it is unless told. It is also not exactly easy to read at a glance.
  • MoFo1MoFo1 United States Join Date: 2014-07-25 Member: 197612Members
    edited July 2016
    Nordic wrote: »
    MoFo1 wrote: »

That was TG. I really don't like that myself, at least how implemented, because you have no way of knowing what it is unless told. It is also not exactly easy to read at a glance.

Still you have to admit with better implementation it would be a really nice addition...

After all it's another number/stat that casual players can focus on, and like i mentioned it would encourage res killing...
  • RevanCoranaRevanCorana Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207125Members
    edited July 2016
    Since the scoreboard displays the Pres there should be an option (NS2+?) to turn off the Pres counter below the energy circle, it's just bloatUI.