Simplifying NS2 - Thoughts on Gameplay (feedback wanted!) - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• SamcaiSamcai Join Date: 2013-01-25 Member: 182050Members

Also,Aliens need a better way of seeing Marine territory. The only thing we can see is either an extractor or a Phase gate,that's pretty much it. Maybe barricades by the doors n' such?

(Possible Marine version of the Gorge?! :O)

With weaker and quicker Power Node, lighting play that role for the Marines. The idea would be:
    - Infested -> Aliens
    - Power Node up -> Marines
    - Black light -> Not sure...

• profallprofall Join Date: 2005-08-02 Member: 57354Members
    Fix Hive Stats!!!!!! at http://hive.naturalselection2.com/

I have over 600+ hours of NS2 gameplay on steam but only 10 hours on Hive because it is bugged for me, and a lot of servers are not in the whitelist. This is a bad tool to use, it is going to be great when I am flagged a rookie indefinitely in the next patch... I also have people questioning my hours on the game when they look at the hive profile and getting kicked out of the comm chairs because they see my 10 hours... This has actually happened in my own server of all places (I do not like to brag that I am an admin).

I run a server, but let me be honest. I do not think player run servers are that great for the growth of NS2. Players should be grouped up randomly and placed in an UWE server. Player run servers should still be available for custom content and mods, but I would shy a majority of new players away from them. Much like how CS:GO handles it. Why do you ask? I have seen it time and time again where veteran players literally gang up and destroy new players. This is NOT good for community growth, but I see it all the time.

• FearlessJamesFearlessJames Join Date: 2015-12-09 Member: 209849Members
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Yaluzan wrote: »
    moultano wrote: »
    - Make the welder a builder replacement. Hold E to weld just like you would to build. Tweak values such that it is superior to the builder in all cases.
    My question is, will you still be able to weld aliens? its minor
    Tell that to Prommah.

• SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not saying we should 1:1 copy cs:go, but the loading screens could get some additional info added to them to help people understand the map layouts and game rules easier.
    bbmVF7sh.png
    On this note, would it be feasible to add in the chat on the loading screen?
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2015
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Not saying we should 1:1 copy cs:go, but the loading screens could get some additional info added to them to help people understand the map layouts and game rules easier.
    bbmVF7sh.png
    On this note, would it be feasible to add in the chat on the loading screen?

No, it's not possible. You aren't connected to the server fully yet so there is no way for the chat to work.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    How about a global chat that operates independent of the server?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's one of the things they hope to add

Since discord can hook into games to show what you're playing. Could it somehow be used as an ingame global chat? NS2 plugin style :D
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    The loading chat needn't be global. The client knows which server it's connecting to.

If we /want/ it global, fine... but the technology doesn't impose that design on us.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Golden, @Rantology, Here is a whole list of things that could possibly simplified or at least added to an encyclopedia of sorts.
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135042/lets-make-a-list-of-hidden-mechanics/p1
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    The loading chat needn't be global. The client knows which server it's connecting to.

If we /want/ it global, fine... but the technology doesn't impose that design on us.

I meant more of a community chat system organised by region to help players coordinate and seed servers faster.

If this chat system was available in or out of any server would allow players to communicate while seeding, and not only help get more players into active games, but help build a community with minimal changes.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    It's one of the things they hope to add

Since discord can hook into games to show what you're playing. Could it somehow be used as an ingame global chat? NS2 plugin style :D

Integrated discord chat would be perfect. If anyone does not know what discord is yet, here is the link to the official ns2 discord page. https://discordapp.com/invite/0TKQwZWu7JDk5Lm8

Its like if skype and IRC had a child.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    It would be done through Steam api
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Would anyone like to test my attempt at solving these issues?

-Add in bunnyhop or some other ‘repeated jumping increases or maintains speed’ functionality
    -Simplify fade movement by removing the need to strafe to maintain speed while ‘blinkhopping’

Mod link:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=571285661
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited December 2015
    Your bunnyhop isn't bunnyhop multiple issues though, it'd be better if someone on the dev team would chime in and actually work towards rewriting skulk movement and or physics/bunnyhop itself. There are too many issues that modders can't fix alone.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Anyone would be a better hunter if you were jumping from the wall (following the 3D normal of a face for ex) and not jumping up. At some point you get headaches because of the ceiling.

It would be more natural.
    Wow,this thread has slowed down alot :confused:

Maybe I can help.....uhhmm......how about adding more voiced-guidlines for rookies! (heck,maybe even everyone!) For example,when you get the Flamethrower for the first time,a marine (or maybe the woman announcer) voice will say things like "The flamethrower is best used on alien structures,blah blah ect." And for the Aliens,it could be that freaky voice saying things like "Your Bile-Bomb corrodes the Human's armor and their Structures,you will get tired fast however." And maybe they can help rookies with certain alerts like "That's an Onos,get some distance from that thing!" Or for Aliens "The humans are burning our structures! DESTROY THEM!!!"

What do ya think? :smiley: (Yes I know,bad examples,but ya get the point"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

Yeah I didn't mean a global all in channel in Discord, but each server would be able to set up it's own channel as such
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Yeah I didn't mean a global all in channel in Discord, but each server would be able to set up it's own channel as such

That would be better than what we have now, but an integrated discord client would be pretty cool.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2015
    Wow,this thread has slowed down alot :confused:

Maybe I can help.....uhhmm......how about adding more voiced-guidlines for rookies! (heck,maybe even everyone!) For example,when you get the Flamethrower for the first time,a marine (or maybe the woman announcer) voice will say things like "The flamethrower is best used on alien structures,blah blah ect." And for the Aliens,it could be that freaky voice saying things like "Your Bile-Bomb corrodes the Human's armor and their Structures,you will get tired fast however." And maybe they can help rookies with certain alerts like "That's an Onos,get some distance from that thing!" Or for Aliens "The humans are burning our structures! DESTROY THEM!!!"

What do ya think? :smiley: (Yes I know,bad examples,but ya get the point"

I thought there are already video tips for players after they buy new weapons? (though I turned them off for quite some time now). Better to constantly remind players not stray too far alone.

Otherwise there's little to lose, and players will learn fast after a few gores in the butt or taking shotgun blasts in the face anyway. :wink: Automatic voice shouting "Fade" or "ONOS!" upon sighting, like in L4D would be quite helpful to new players.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    make resource gathering not linear. I've always been able to tell fairly well early on the team that will win because they hold their resource nodes. Additional nodes should increase the rate but at a declining increment (eg a logarithmic curve). The losing team stands to gain more by taking back a node while the winning team isn't hurt as bad by losing 1 node (they keep some advantage).
    Might help with the, "they have all the res nodes lets concede now at 5 minutes because we know they are gonna have all the tech so quickly".
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited December 2015
    I think using a res system based on the duration can be good too: if a team holds a RT longer, then the RT provides more res. (This is implemented in Dawn of War II). It will gives comp players a reason to risk themselves behind lines and reward a team that is consistant with the few res they have. A greedy team will often lose backres, but the com only has to drop an other RT and it's okay while technically they are not "holding" (compared to the other team who might be struggling to hold 2/3 res node). This would also open new targets for rush.

An other idea out of the wild could be to even let the commander choose the behaviour of the economy to adapt to the team tactics (like a choice that will specialize RTs (single one or all of them), an upgrade option or so that would be a oneshot choice (like hive upgrades)).
  • krOozekrOoze Join Date: 2014-04-24 Member: 195593Members
    edited December 2015
    ^ I never liked those unrealistic behaviors in games. Why would one more RT get less resources? It's just sucking it from some distibution pipe. Why would it ever suck more over time?

Also do not understand why would anyone want to handicap the winning team. They held their res -> they won. Simple as that. That's the whole point of this game. Besides the more RT you have, the less defensible they are. Also the (slightly) losing team usualy hordes res, so they often make some comeback with liveforms or JPs/Exos, if somewhat competent. And well, if they have just one RT left with no expansion plan, they should lose fast and not prolong the game.

Though I would maybe remove the tech-point room RTs (usualy not attack priority when base is built there - no fun). Or maybe things like armslabs or something would have to be built on the resnode (giving comm some unconfortable choice to make between RT and upgrades). And we could just adjust how much pres and tres single RT gives (and it should be dependent on how many resnodes are on the map), to fine-tune what +1 RT advantage gives you. Or perhaps add more resnodes to the maps( so +1 RT advantage is less significant ). That is if you really feel there is something wrong about how the rounds play out.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    For marines, certainly, diminishing returns on RTs would make no sense as they already have diminishing returns in that it is harder to defend more RTs (ignoring arguments that if you have more RTs you are obviously finding it easier to defend them in the first place)

If ANYTHING it should be the aliens that have diminishing returns on RTs, due to how much harder it is for one marine to stealth his way past the front line and kill a harvester before getting swarmed with aliens than the converse.
    That is to say, in games where the aliens are significantly ahead on RT count, the snowball is often further forward than games where the marines hold a larger number of RTs due to how quickly aliens can turn 5 RTs into 1.

However I get the feeling the intention of suggestions like diminishing returns on RTs is to reduce snowballing in favour of the marines, particularly pub stomps where the aliens get slaughtered before fades are even a possibility.

In games where marines hold 6+ rts from the start and the aliens are on 1/2, diminishing returns on res would do very little to prevent this. If the entire alien team can't wipe a 1/1 marine together, there's only one solution, and that's to bite res, which already intrinsically induces the 'diminishing return' of having reduced defensibility at higher RT counts.

blah blah blahhh
    @IronHorse I'm always up fer new features! HUZZAH! :blush: