Adopt a Rookie

ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
While addressing some issues of trying to help new players learn NS2 I came up with a possible solution that not only builds players knowledge of the game but also takes advantage of the great community of players we already have today.

The adopt a rookie system would enable new players to first person spectate and communicate directly with a random experienced NS2 player in order to learn the game. This simulates an experience that many of may have had when they picked up NS for the first time of having a friend coach us the game by watching them play and explain what they are doing.

For the rookie they get an option that lets them select between 4 options: alien, marine, marine commander, alien commander

Based on their selection they then are connected to the first person spectate view of a player in a live game where they see everything that person does and can talk to that player directly to ask them questions. This completely changes the way that new players can learn about the game and feel connected to the community.

Now how would this actually work?

First you need to make it so only players below a given skill level can use this feature. But I think the commander option should stay on longer or until we have a better way to know a user has learned how to command.

Second there needs to be a new type of connection slot created on the server side to facilitate this on the back end where these spectators are not taking up playable slots. Servers opt into allowing spec users on this system by being rookie friendly and can also choose how many rookies can connect to their server at one time in this way.

Third playing on a rookie friendly server should not automatically force a player to be part of this. A player should opt into being part of the Adopt a Rookie program and allowing rookies to spec and talk to them.

Forth there should be a way for a rookie to rate the guide afterword. These scores and the hive rank of the player can be used to determine the best user to send a rookie too. If the user is abusive there should be a way to report them and have them removed from the Adopt a Rookie program. However, this may require server side demo recording or something similar to submit with a report as evidence. Players on both sides (the rookie and the reg) can block a player they did not like so they will not interact again within the Adopt a Rookie system.

Fifth there should be an accept box that says press F1 to Adopt a Rookie which times out after 5-10 seconds. This way a rookie is only sent to a player who is active. Also if a player allows 3 in a row to time out they are taken out of rotation for an hour so no more requests will be sent to them.

Although it seems a bit complicated and requires some tweaking to the way users can connect to servers and spectate I think a system like this can be a big help to new players learning the game and also help these new users feel connected to the community.

Comments

• BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    It's a much nicer system (but also harder to do) than ghouls rookie only servers.
    I fear tho, most rookies want instant action and will try avoid this. It may be a matter of 'selling' it to them correctly.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    While addressing some issues of trying to help new players learn NS2 I came up with a possible solution that not only builds players knowledge of the game but also takes advantage of the great community of players we already have today.

The adopt a rookie system would enable new players to first person spectate and communicate directly with a random experienced NS2 player in order to learn the game. This simulates an experience that many of may have had when they picked up NS for the first time of having a friend coach us the game by watching them play and explain what they are doing.

For the rookie they get an option that lets them select between 4 options: alien, marine, marine commander, alien commander

Based on their selection they then are connected to the first person spectate view of a player in a live game where they see everything that person does and can talk to that player directly to ask them questions. This completely changes the way that new players can learn about the game and feel connected to the community.

Now how would this actually work?

First you need to make it so only players below a given skill level can use this feature. But I think the commander option should stay on longer or until we have a better way to know a user has learned how to command.

Second there needs to be a new type of connection slot created on the server side to facilitate this on the back end where these spectators are not taking up playable slots. Servers opt into allowing spec users on this system by being rookie friendly and can also choose how many rookies can connect to their server at one time in this way.

Third playing on a rookie friendly server should not automatically force a player to be part of this. A player should opt into being part of the Adopt a Rookie program and allowing rookies to spec and talk to them.

Forth there should be a way for a rookie to rate the guide afterword. These scores and the hive rank of the player can be used to determine the best user to send a rookie too. If the user is abusive there should be a way to report them and have them removed from the Adopt a Rookie program. However, this may require server side demo recording or something similar to submit with a report as evidence. Players on both sides (the rookie and the reg) can block a player they did not like so they will not interact again within the Adopt a Rookie system.

Fifth there should be an accept box that says press F1 to Adopt a Rookie which times out after 5-10 seconds. This way a rookie is only sent to a player who is active. Also if a player allows 3 in a row to time out they are taken out of rotation for an hour so no more requests will be sent to them.

Although it seems a bit complicated and requires some tweaking to the way users can connect to servers and spectate I think a system like this can be a big help to new players learning the game and also help these new users feel connected to the community.

Sorry I just had to lmfao.
    madonna_david_banda.jpg
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really like this idea. Being friendly when u want in an easy way.
    Really nice!
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    Although I like the idea of the adopt a rookie, it sounds like it could disrupt gameplay in terms of team communication. Perhaps an easier way could just be allowing rookies in spectate to hear the microphones of whatever team they are spectating.
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    You could have an option to allow rookie voice or you could make it so they can communicate via chat only. You could also make a different mic button which then talks only to the rookie. You could also have it so it is an open voice channel to the rookie so they hear everything you say but your team only hears you when you press the mic button.

There is a lot of different ways to go about it.