Is this game too easy?

13»

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    hehehe that in fact is a good point.
    nanotech is sort of established in my view, but that does not mean those medpacks use them.. Bit hard with those mats indeed. :P
  • lxhlxh Austria Join Date: 2015-03-13 Member: 202074Members
    edited December 2015
    hehehe that in fact is a good point.
    nanotech is sort of established in my view, but that does not mean those medpacks use them.. Bit hard with those mats indeed. :P

So .. if we say these healing cheat packs aren't obsolete and one more aspect of Subnautica's magic: Why not make it harder to craft? That'd be just fair.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Agree that we either bump the mats or lower the instant use. Id go for the 2nd just so we can heal earlier ingame.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    edited December 2015
    lxh wrote: »
    Elavion wrote: »
    No, it's not. It's the fact that you can just swim away from every predator even if they somehow notice you.

You are right, you can dodge atm. But don't tell me you've never been bitten. Believe me, it would be worlds apart if you - all of a sudden - move slower and can not heal unless you're out of the water. And all I say is: Let's fix this first(!) before scripting more aggressively behaviors.

I have, but the point is they are so pathetically weak, blind and slow right now it just doesn't bother me. I keep myself at above 80% health all the time, so getting bitten for what, 20%? doesn't bother me at all. shark-sized predators need some serious jaw workout.

To the point where I sometimes just let it bite me once or twice because I can't be bothered waiting till it swims away from that fragment I want to scan.
    No, it's not. It's the fact that you can just swim away from every predator even if they somehow notice you.

You are right, you can dodge atm. But don't tell me you've never been bitten. Believe me, it would be worlds apart if you - all of a sudden - move slower and can not heal unless you're out of the water. And all I say is: Let's fix this first(!) before scripting more aggressively behaviors.

I have, but the point is they are so pathetically weak, blind and slow right now it just doesn't bother me. I keep myself at above 80% health all the time, so getting bitten for what, 20%? doesn't bother me at all. shark-sized predators need some serious jaw workout.

To the point where I sometimes just let it bite me once or twice because I can't be bothered waiting till it swims away from that fragment I want to scan.

I'm absolutely with you at some points ... and by the way you've got some great ideas! But balancing a game right means serious brainwork and needs to follow logical aspects. What was gained if the player could simply cheat away all your efforts consequences? Bitten more often?
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    edited December 2015
    I'm not sure if I get you right, DC_Darkling. What you mean? Nanobot instant medpacks made out of creepvine and bleach?

Whoops.
    Might be my fault. Mentioned Alterra employees having nanotech medical implants in the story 'Aurora Falls' to make the game's healing mechanism slightly more plausible, rather than relying entirely on bandages and bleach from the first aid kits.

It's just a hang-over from the days before first aid kits were implemented in Subnautica. Health regenerated over a period of time, instead of the 50% restoration gained from using the current 'boo-boo box'. I apologise for any confusion this may have caused.

Addendum: I would rather see the two healing mechanisms combined. An injury should deal a scaled, instant loss of health percentage, plus a slow incremental decrease in health points (and possibly movement speed) as long as the wound remains untreated. First aid kits should only halt the decrease in health points and restore say, a maximum of 10 per cent to enable the player to survive long enough to reach a secure location such as the Cyclops or sea base. Healing should require a period of rest between hazardous encounters, although the healing rate could be increased significantly by consuming additional food and water.

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited December 2015
    If the medpacks ease of creation bother you that much, why not play the game on the level where you die/finish the game after losing one life, and to make it harder why not simply refuse to make/use the medpacks? :D
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    the healing rate could be increased significantly by consuming additional food and water.
    ... and maybe by sitting down for a while and thinking of what went wrong. Hehe
    Myrm wrote: »
    If the medpacks ease of creation bother you that much, why not play the game on the level where you die/finish the game after losing one life, and to make it harder why not simply refuse to make/use the medpacks? :D

Hihihi ... welcome to the haaaardcore freaks! ;) Typically all the guys writing here are already playing the 'one life game' and to be honest, I have no single health pack in my inventory. That is due to the fact that there isn't any handicap when injured. One, two, three .. shark bites simply doesn't bother me! Hihi ...
    Pleas read back, I'm no friend of repeating myself.
    edited December 2015
    I consider instant-healing medpacks an acceptable break from reality, but I wouldn't mind if they changed healing to be a regeneration effect. I don't think it's necessary to restrict it to surface, it's simply an anti-frustration feature and it would be pretty meaningless if it ceases to be an instant healing potion.
    I consider instant-healing medpacks an acceptable break from reality, but I wouldn't mind if they changed healing to be a regeneration effect. I don't think it's necessary to restrict it to surface, it's simply an anti-frustration feature and it would be pretty meaningless if it ceases to be an instant healing potion.

Hm? An anit-frustration feature for hardcore players? Are you serious?
    (sorry for the) PS: It would get frustrating to be bitten any time I stick my nose out of the base!
  • RainstormRainstorm Montreal (Quebec) Join Date: 2015-12-15 Member: 210003Members
    Changing the Medpacks to be a regen-over-time feature would be a welcomed addition yes
    Also, if you loose like 50% health or more, a debuff like bone-break that slows you down and makes you loose more health over time would be cool as well. i like those ideas!
    Grippin' ... Will it last to escape the predator or make the way back to the surface or sub? Coming soon in this theater! Stay tuned! Hehe
    edited December 2015

Hm? An anit-frustration feature for hardcore players? Are you serious?

Sorry, but I'd much rather they didn't spend time adding new features that only benefit a fraction of the community (at least until the game is allmost ready). Difficulty increase can be achieved through changing numbers much more efficiently. (Also, the game difficulty needs serious work across the board, not just in hardcore mode).
    (sorry for the) PS: It would get frustrating to be bitten any time I stick my nose out of the base!

There's an edit option for that, don't double post.
    That's why I belive the predators should be not only faster, smarter, more perceptive and more dangerous, but also quite a bit less common.
    they didn't spend time adding new features that only benefit a fraction of the community

Ok ok ok, I agree. The sharks are stupid. But what do you think is more work, rescripting dozens of single behaviors for all kinds of situations ... or tweaking one single rule? That's what I'd call a smart solution which should be tried out first.

But we start moving in circles now and it's not really up to us. *)
    Technically it depends on how the game is coded. Making an item only work only in air might be 2 lines of code or 2000.
    edited December 2015
    Ah, Elavion ... one more thing: I haven't read these links you've posted before but now i did. Ok, let's be laid back and say that's all true cause it's on the internet:
    To acceptable break from reality I may quote: It's possible for these to become unacceptable, when the abstraction gets in the way of enjoying the work. And the anti-frustration feature is ... to prevent unwinnable situations from developing.

So please answer one question: Should we really accept absurdly breaks from reality to prevent some unwinnable situations like you've proposed?

Edit: Can anyone answer this question? Shall we make a Poll to see who's the crowd? I'd take the Audience lifeline
    edited December 2015
    Tho I'm not used to monologue, there is - I think - one more aspect to consider:
    If it's true that breaks from reality become unacceptable, when their abstraction gets in the way of enjoying the work ... so why do we have to use cheat-like features just to keep us away from reasoned use of some lovingly and laboriously designed game features? Loosely translated: If I had to eat, drink and heal outside the water, it was - to me - the first cogent reason to ride out by cyclops ... and eventually to craft and to wear a reinforced dive suit. And to become fairly slower when injured and not sure to make it back would be my personal debut of carrying the funny air bladder in my pocket.
    Some more examples? Ah, I guess you've got your own ...

Edit/PS: Please don't think I'm writing this just to be right. I mean it well ... and I'd love to master such a game :blush: