Graphics processor selection.

SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Early on when I first got NS2, I had a problem with my Intel HD 4000 processor taking over instead of my Geforce processor. This caused big performance issues, but I managed to fix it by setting it up in the nvidia control panel.

Since the last patch, I can't complain about performance, I'm pretty consistently at 120 fps. However, when I launch ns2, the console reads:
Direct3D 9 initialized: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

No mention of my Geforce graphics card. So I'm wondering, if NS2 is somehow stuck on using my cpu processor instead of gpu again. If so, is there a way I can fix this? -if not, what am I misunderstanding here?

I have tried setting it in the nvidia control panel and I have also tried
Right+Click>Run with graphics processor
on the desktop icon.

Again, I'm not having severe performance issues, but I'll take any frames I can get.

Comments

• NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As a temporary fix, disable your integrated graphics from the bios or from device manager.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2015
    NS2 automatically detects and uses your GPU instead of the integrated... but the nvidia ctrl panel setting shouldn't hurt.
    The battlefront Nvidia drivers came with all sorts of issues though, and have since been updated I believe. Try updating them or rolling back to test.

Could just be a driver related issue. (for the integrated processor as well!)
    Alternatively, could you verify whether your GPU is being used with MSI afterburner while running NS2?

Lastly, be sure your Power Options are set to HIGH!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    If you're on a laptop, never disable your integrated GPU, as it's used as a frame buffer for the Dedicated GPU.

Best to add ns2.exe to use ur Nvidia chip only, in your Nvidia control panel.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Obraxis wrote: »
    If you're on a laptop, never disable your integrated GPU, as it's used as a frame buffer for the Dedicated GPU.

Best to add ns2.exe to use ur Nvidia chip only, in your Nvidia control panel.
    I am on a laptop, and yes I just discovered that this was a bad idea :D

I have added the ns2.exe to the nvidia chip only which is why this whole thing is so confusing!
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Alternatively, could you verify whether your GPU is being used with MSI afterburner while running NS2?
    I don't know what this means... No?.. I guess?
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also - both drivers, for the integrated and the geforce cards are up to date. I wouldn't know how far back I'd have to roll it back :((
    edited October 2015
    In the nvidia control panel there's an option
    Display GPU Activity Icon in Notification Area

Apparently NS2 shows up there.

rsir5a2w3zkp.png

EDIT: However, it does so even if I change the setting in nvidia control panel to run with the integrated graphics. + I just confirmed, by using integrated graphics I have the same performance. :(

So it's definitely using the integrated chip instead of the nvidia chip.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    if you run msi afterburner in the background while playing ns2 , you can alt tab and then see your GPU processing / being used
    edited October 2015
    @IronHorse It appears that it is using the gpu in ns2.

So what does this mean?

Ninjaedit.
    It means that NS2 is actually using your GPU, but just incorrectly reporting the GPU it sees.
    I would not worry. This explains why you've seen no performance loss, too.