NS2 Game Survey - Results Now Available!

2»

Comments

• IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    @DC_Darkling It's still a rather large percentage of players in a skewed survey aimed at the remaining community of a game that doesn't officially support said playercount.

Plus I heavily disagree in saying new players should start in smaller playercounts, the draw of larger playercounts when you're new is to familiarize yourself with a game's mechanics before being labled a detriment to your team due to how individual player skills affects matches in low playercounts.
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    That's because for once they've actually had a chance to have their opinion recognised.
  • woozawooza Switzerland Join Date: 2013-11-21 Member: 189496Members, Squad Five Blue
    I really wish Wooza's was 32 instead of 42 to help spread out the community a little more as well.

Hmm there is Wooza's Hamster Wheel with 32 Slots. There is just 10 extra spec slots so it shows 42.
  • YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    wooza wrote: »
    I really wish Wooza's was 32 instead of 42 to help spread out the community a little more as well.

Hmm there is Wooza's Hamster Wheel with 32 Slots. There is just 10 extra spec slots so it shows 42.

Still curious as to why 10 spec slots, you know ghosting is a thing right? How the marines "suddenly" become aware of an impending base rush, everyone is a friend on steam nowadays!
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    TGNS has been running spec slots for two years. I feared ghosting, but it hasn't been a problem in the least. Meanwhile, NS2 is a deliciously entertaining game to watch. We regularly have spectators watching while we play 8v8.
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    It helps keep the server alive at least, since there are players to fill in immediately when others leave.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Tbh im more impressed that he runs with 10 spec slots.
    So far I know they eat more bandwidth then a normal player.
  • WyzcrakWyzcrak Pot Pie Aficionado Join Date: 2002-12-04 Member: 10447Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    TGNS (8v8) is running with 12 spec slots at the moment (we might scale back to 10). Our challenge isn't bandwidth, but CPU (TGNS mod is expensive).
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    New players just need it divided. Have 2 game modes: classic and hectic. Or whatever you want call them. Express that classic encourages slower play and exploration and hectic gives you large battles not suited for competitive modes.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    mattji104 wrote: »
    New players just need it divided. Have 2 game modes: classic and hectic. Or whatever you want call them. Express that classic encourages slower play and exploration and hectic gives you large battles not suited for competitive modes.

That would work if we had the luxury of a larger player base, but since we don't, we should avoid dividing up players (few exceptions, such as siege, since people are unlikely to just play siege and not normal ns2)
  • BabblerKingBabblerKing Join Date: 2015-07-12 Member: 206120Members
    -
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    TGNS (8v8) is running with 12 spec slots at the moment (we might scale back to 10). Our challenge isn't bandwidth, but CPU (TGNS mod is expensive).

Your server is constantly throttling. It'd have a loaded/bad perf rating if that wasn't broken.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Yojimbo wrote: »
    wooza wrote: »

Still curious as to why 10 spec slots, you know ghosting is a thing right? How the marines "suddenly" become aware of an impending base rush, everyone is a friend on steam nowadays!

I'd say base rush should be pretty obvious to anyone to anyone with enough time under their belt and that is paying attention.

80 percent of the base rushes I've seen is when base rushing is the only option left. when both teams should know base rushing isnthe only option left.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Wyzcrak wrote: »
    TGNS has been running spec slots for two years. I feared ghosting, but it hasn't been a problem in the least. Meanwhile, NS2 is a deliciously entertaining game to watch. We regularly have spectators watching while we play 8v8.

Wyz, please consider opening up spectator chat to all. I at least feel like I can abide by the tacit agreement to not fuck up the game, but would like the opportunity to help newer players that their teammates may not have the time to help.