Eating

EldeberonEldeberon USA Join Date: 2015-09-28 Member: 208204Members
Eating

I love how immersive the game is. Everything seems real except the consumption of food and water. This is something that bothers me about many survival games.

No one needs to eat and drink this much merely to survive. And no one dies almost instantly when their stomach is empty.

By my best estimate in the game a person goes from fully gorged on food to dead in less than a day and a half. No one should die from starvation in under thirty-six hours. People can live weeks without food. And while water would be a much greater need, a person can still live several days without it.

Granted, skipping meals while swimming a lot would be hard. To this end I suggest that rather than die when the food bar hits zero (which feels like a ticking time bomb implanted in your stomach) a player would have their speed and perhaps other capabilities (reduced air capacity, blurred vision, etc.) reduced by a percentage for every quarter day. After a certain point it would be difficult to obtain food if it wasn’t already stored. Once the player reached a point of near immobility, then, and only then, would they take physical damage resulting in their eventual death.

The benefit of this is that death by starvation or dehydration would not be able to sneak up on you like running out of air does. You would know long before, and have plenty of time to correct the situation. You would still need to eat or die, but sudden death due to lack of food or water is so inconsistent with real life that it seriously reduces the effect of immersion, and acts as a distraction from gameplay. Watching your air on dives is one thing, but having to keep one worried eye on your food bar while crafting is an annoyance.

While it varies based on age, extortion, and temperature:
A person can live 3-4 days without any water.
A person can survive over twenty days without any food.

Game wise:
A water bar in the game should last a full dawn-to-dawn cycle before running out. Then the player would suffer an escalation of diminished abilities for the next two dawn-to-dawn cycles before physical damage begins and ends the player’s life over the course of the fourth dawn-to-dawn cycle.

For simplicity sake, I would suggest doubling the time for food, making it take four full dawn-to-dawn cycles to die from dehydration and eight to die from starvation.

The reduction in the tension/annoyance of obtaining food would grant players more opportunity to focus on the rest of the game without needing to sacrifice the survival and eating experience, which is wonderful, but a little too ever-present. It would also allow for a greater sense of depth in this separation of effects between instant death from lack of air and the slow demise from lack of food and water.

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    edited October 2015
    To be honest I think this is something that the devs have had on the drawing board for some time. However, they are concentrating on getting the main parts of the game right first.
  • ShutEye_DKShutEye_DK DK Join Date: 2015-08-20 Member: 207329Members
    edited October 2015
    Eldeberon wrote: »
    Eating

I love how immersive the game is. Everything seems real except the consumption of food and water. This is something that bothers me about many survival games.

No one needs to eat and drink this much merely to survive. And no one dies almost instantly when their stomach is empty.

By my best estimate in the game a person goes from fully gorged on food to dead in less than a day and a half. No one should die from starvation in under thirty-six hours. People can live weeks without food. And while water would be a much greater need, a person can still live several days without it.

Granted, skipping meals while swimming a lot would be hard. To this end I suggest that rather than die when the food bar hits zero (which feels like a ticking time bomb implanted in your stomach) a player would have their speed and perhaps other capabilities (reduced air capacity, blurred vision, etc.) reduced by a percentage for every quarter day. After a certain point it would be difficult to obtain food if it wasn’t already stored. Once the player reached a point of near immobility, then, and only then, would they take physical damage resulting in their eventual death.

The benefit of this is that death by starvation or dehydration would not be able to sneak up on you like running out of air does. You would know long before, and have plenty of time to correct the situation. You would still need to eat or die, but sudden death due to lack of food or water is so inconsistent with real life that it seriously reduces the effect of immersion, and acts as a distraction from gameplay. Watching your air on dives is one thing, but having to keep one worried eye on your food bar while crafting is an annoyance.

While it varies based on age, extortion, and temperature:
    A person can live 3-4 days without any water.
    A person can survive over twenty days without any food.

Game wise:
    A water bar in the game should last a full dawn-to-dawn cycle before running out. Then the player would suffer an escalation of diminished abilities for the next two dawn-to-dawn cycles before physical damage begins and ends the player’s life over the course of the fourth dawn-to-dawn cycle.

For simplicity sake, I would suggest doubling the time for food, making it take four full dawn-to-dawn cycles to die from dehydration and eight to die from starvation.

The reduction in the tension/annoyance of obtaining food would grant players more opportunity to focus on the rest of the game without needing to sacrifice the survival and eating experience, which is wonderful, but a little too ever-present. It would also allow for a greater sense of depth in this separation of effects between instant death from lack of air and the slow demise from lack of food and water.

Absolutely agree! I only played the game in survival mode for an hour or two before switching to freedom mode, survival were just too tedious.
  • ShutEye_DKShutEye_DK DK Join Date: 2015-08-20 Member: 207329Members
    Myrm wrote: »
    To be honest I think this is something that the devs have had on the drawing board for some time. However, they are concentrating on getting the main parts of the game right first.

I hope so! This IS early access, we'll just have to endure the process :)
  • UnatanUnatan California Join Date: 2015-09-17 Member: 208002Members
    Complete agreement with Eldeberon and I also switch to freedom mode also due to odd limits on food and water.