One miniature thing: implosions!

The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
Alright, so I had a thought. I think I mentioned it in passing in my vehicles post, but I didn't really explain anything.

So, as most people know, water can be really heavy. In real life, if a submarine or submersible is breached below a certain depth, it will implode, killing everyone inside instantly and basically turning into a twisted ball of metal. Why wouldn't physics be followed in Subnautica too? Our current two vehicles have two depths: the "safe depth" and the "crush depth." Below the safe depth, collisions will cause damage. Below crush depth, the vehicle will simply be damaged over time.

What I'm proposing is a third depth: the implosion depth.

My idea is, below a certain depth, a hull breach will cause the entire vessel to implode, killing anyone inside, destroying everything inside, and turning the sub into a crushed soda can. For example, let's take the Cyclops (without upgrades). Below 100 meters, collisions will damage the hull. Below the 200 meter mark, the hull will be breached regardless of damage. So, how about at maybe 175 meters, if the hull is breached, the sub is obliterated? Real-life subs would work like this too. Below a certain depth, damage will destroy it and everything inside. However, the implosion depth would be above the crush depth, or no people would ever reach "implosion depth" alive. Just a thought I had. Different vehicles would have different implosion depths, just like they have different safe and crush depths.

Comments

• MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    This is kind of like the debate we had the other day where I too favored realism, but I too must admit it might feel more like an impairment than an addition to this game.
  • SojoSojo Florida, USA Join Date: 2015-09-20 Member: 208061Members
    I love the realism, but I think it would have to be a long term "would be nice" addition. They have a lot of work to do with ordinary crush depth, for example the breaches to the Cyclops don't appear on the outside of the ship and even after its full of water, the breaches continue to display water spraying into the ship. We should also be able to repair the breaches once the ship is full of water since the pressure is not equalized. After that it should be a race to drain the water, while resealing the new breaches, as we try to rise to a safe depth. Currently your Cyclops is permanantly sunk in this situation.

As a side note, we should take damage still while in a "safe depth zone", that just makes no sense and hurts gameplay imo. It's like an enforced kiddy mode.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Why would the implosion depth be above the crush depth?

Once you get to crush depth you start taking damage.
    At Implosion depth damage = death

Would make crush depth pointless since, if it's below the implosion depth, you die instantly.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members

Would make crush depth pointless since, if it's below the implosion depth, you die instantly.

Because logic. Going back to my example of IRL submersibles. If a submersible is, say, 5 miles down. It won't start to crumple, but if there is even the slightest hole, it's a tin can. The reason is that the implosion depth is based on the hull being compromised, allowing the pressure of the water to demolish it, whereas the crush depth is just where the pressure is too much, period. Yes, I'm aware the crush depth would mean instant death. That's kind of the point. It's to make people more careful. People avoid the 200 meter mark in their Cyclops because a few seconds will breach the hull. They'd avoid it even more if the moment the hull breached, they were killed, and everything inside was obliterated. Anyway, I'm not saying instant death. If you've noticed, there are two types of holes in Cyclopes: minor and hull breach. A hull breach is the one that pours in water, and that's the one that would smash you into pieces. A minor breach is just damage, but not enough to allow water into the sub,
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    The_Shark wrote: »

Because logic. Going back to my example of IRL submersibles. If a submersible is, say, 5 miles down. It won't start to crumple, but if there is even the slightest hole, it's a tin can. The reason is that the implosion depth is based on the hull being compromised, allowing the pressure of the water to demolish it, whereas the crush depth is just where the pressure is too much, period. Yes, I'm aware the crush depth would mean instant death. That's kind of the point. It's to make people more careful. People avoid the 200 meter mark in their Cyclops because a few seconds will breach the hull. They'd avoid it even more if the moment the hull breached, they were killed, and everything inside was obliterated. Anyway, I'm not saying instant death. If you've noticed, there are two types of holes in Cyclopes: minor and hull breach. A hull breach is the one that pours in water, and that's the one that would smash you into pieces. A minor breach is just damage, but not enough to allow water into the sub,

>Says "because logic"
    >Does not use logic in reply

With this, the crush depth might as well be the implosion depth, since the instant you reach the crush depth, you're going to implode. Might as well just completely remove crush depth from the game and replace it with "Damage = Instant death" at a certain level.
    With this, the crush depth might as well be the implosion depth, since the instant you reach the crush depth, you're going to implode.

Actually, it wouldn't be instantaneous, just very close to it. After you hit the crush depth, it takes several seconds for an actual breach to occur. This would be ample time for anyone to get the hell out of there and avoid a catastophe.
  • MarutMarut nonya-buzniz Join Date: 2015-09-10 Member: 207866Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    With this, the crush depth might as well be the implosion depth, since the instant you reach the crush depth, you're going to implode.

Actually, it wouldn't be instantaneous, just very close to it. After you hit the crush depth, it takes several seconds for an actual breach to occur. This would be ample time for anyone to get the hell out of there and avoid a catastophe.

Very true. I still stand by my previous statements though.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    How about implosion is more like a death animation for the cyclops when it is extremely badly damaged and is below a certain depth?
    sayerulz wrote: »
    How about implosion is more like a death animation for the cyclops when it is extremely badly damaged and is below a certain depth?

That's kind of what I was thinking.
  • BugzapperBugzapper Australia Join Date: 2015-03-06 Member: 201744Members
    In sufficiently deep water (> 1000 metres), any hull breach would emit a water jet capable of blowing a hole through the human body.

The fact that a standard submersible would probably implode as soon as its hull integrity was compromised is entirely academic at this point.
    Bugzapper wrote: »
    In sufficiently deep water (> 1000 metres), any hull breach would emit a water jet capable of blowing a hole through the human body.

The fact that a standard submersible would probably implode as soon as its hull integrity was compromised is entirely academic at this point.

Precisely. IT wouldn't matter if you'd die anyway, it'd just up the "cool" and "realistic" factors by a bunch.