Boobs for my avatar would be great!

Comments

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    [...] last thing this community wants is a bunch of feminists coming in complaining that they have a male as main character.
    And just like that, SJW nonsense is injected into the Subnautica forums.
    Way to trivialize this topic. Friggin huge issue with all the societal gender roles and sexualization and stuff. Players gotten so used to it, i doesn't get questioned enough.
    Still, this isn't something that grew over night or in the realm of Subnautica, so i understand why you wouldn't want this to get out of hand in this peaceful forum.

So don't get me wrong, i don't want this to escalate again.
    I just think this topic has more to it. This is actually a big issue for the gaming industry in general, if it wants to lose this "boys only club" status that it had and still kinda has. It got a lot better nowadays, but i see much effort to reach a male audience and little to make things appealing for a female one.
    jjust19 wrote: »
    Though, I don't like the idea of players only choosing the female model because of their fascination with boobs.
    [...] I'm more peeved at the fact that half the comments in this discussion contain the word "boobs" [...]
    I think of all the commenters you said "boobs" the most, but aside from that and your rather enthusiastic way of discusing things, i think i pretty much agree with your point of view.

And about that idea with the robot character, how about something cyborgish?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    That's kind of what I was thinking of when I was thinking about a power source.

Maybe something along the lines of using thermal or nuclear energy?

Solar! It could be solar powered. So its hunger meter replenishes as long as its close to the surface. But such a small solar panel would replenish energy slowly, so unless you were actually at the surface, it'd constantly drain as you move, albeit very slowly.

You could also eat batteries for a quick jolt.

But then it would also make the Swim Charge fins crazy OP if they could replenish your robot hunger meter.
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    That's kind of what I was thinking of when I was thinking about a power source.

Maybe something along the lines of using thermal or nuclear energy?

Solar! It could be solar powered. So its hunger meter replenishes as long as its close to the surface. But such a small solar panel would replenish energy slowly, so unless you were actually at the surface, it'd constantly drain as you move, albeit very slowly.

You could also eat batteries for a quick jolt.

But then it would also make the Swim Charge fins crazy OP if they could replenish your robot hunger meter.

I think the whole solar power power source would be a little too over-powered. Maybe a special item will need to be crafted that will act like a power source? For instance, a new type of ore or something similar. If it was just the case of rising to the service, no one would play the other characters.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    [I think the whole solar power power source would be a little too over-powered. Maybe a special item will need to be crafted that will act like a power source? For instance, a new type of ore or something similar. If it was just the case of rising to the service, no one would play the other characters.

imagine how small the solar panel would have to be to be on top of the head of the robot.
    Even at the surface, recharging fully would take a bit longer than going up for air.
    And that's without moving.

And then of course you can't do it at night. And if you go in a cave, even at shallow depths, no recharge for you.

So the alternative would be eating batteries.

I'd really like a mechanic to save partially drained batteries and power cells.
    That way, you could also drink what you need from a battery, and save the rest for later.
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    And lastly, if you believe women should be treated equally to men and have the same opportunities etc., then that makes you a feminist my friend.

*facepalm*

A feminist is a person who thinks that females should be treated as superior to males. The word that needs to go there is "equalist."
  • Astropig_gamerAstropig_gamer USA Join Date: 2015-08-31 Member: 207625Members
    yeah feminists are not about equality they just say that so people will join them
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    The_Shark wrote: »
    And lastly, if you believe women should be treated equally to men and have the same opportunities etc., then that makes you a feminist my friend.

*facepalm*

A feminist is a person who thinks that females should be treated as superior to males. The word that needs to go there is "equalist."

What jjust19 said is right as far as i can tell.
    If you want specificly women to be treated like men, that's feminism.
    If you want both genders to be treated equal with no preoccupation on either one, that's equalism.

In the end it's really only semantics and a wrong picture transported by radicals.
    [I think the whole solar power power source would be a little too over-powered. Maybe a special item will need to be crafted that will act like a power source? For instance, a new type of ore or something similar. If it was just the case of rising to the service, no one would play the other characters.

imagine how small the solar panel would have to be to be on top of the head of the robot.
    Even at the surface, recharging fully would take a bit longer than going up for air.
    And that's without moving.

And then of course you can't do it at night. And if you go in a cave, even at shallow depths, no recharge for you.

So the alternative would be eating batteries.

I'd really like a mechanic to save partially drained batteries and power cells.
    That way, you could also drink what you need from a battery, and save the rest for later.

I don't know. Wouldn't the attempt to balance out the benefits of this character bring to many drawbacks? I wouldn't want to wait for a long time to reload on the surface. It's just waiting time and that can really kill a game.
    Eating batteries is really one sided in terms of resource management.

Also a robotic character would technically have no use for the still suit or be immune to radiation. A lot of items would have no further use.

I think a minimum of organic components could solve this. An AI with a manufactured organ system. Nature creates the most resource efficient power generators after all.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    last thing this community wants is a bunch of feminists coming in complaining that they have a male as main character. just be happy the devs brought us this masterpiece

The last thing this community wants is ignorant people denying others an equal opportunity. You get to play as a character that matches your sex all the time, why shouldn't others?

UWE and this community are very supportive and encouraging of female gamers and UWE's other title Natural Selection 2 includes a female equivalent of every marine in the game. Equality among the sexes is a very big thing for this community. Since you only joined yesterday, I don't think you are in the best position to speak on behalf of this community

This community has been around for a hell of a long time, next year is the15th anniversary, and it has lasted this long because of it's inclusive nature. Don't go making sexist comments on behalf of a community you are blatantly mis-representing, thank you very much.
    i never denied equal opportunity nor am i being sexist in anyway i want character customization and a female character would be nice she/he started spouting SJW bull

he/she could have just said i would like to chose a girl character but no
    I'd love to play as a female in the game. I'm kind of sick of games only having male protagonists

• DchicoteDchicote Germany Join Date: 2015-05-26 Member: 204901Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We've been working on a female version of the player you can see here: https://sketchfab.com/models/7f00f200e2524152a8d22ac2416f2127
    ... a little more of Uhura, please. lt.-uhura-e1429233453974.jpg

Dchicote wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We've been working on a female version of the player you can see here: https://sketchfab.com/models/7f00f200e2524152a8d22ac2416f2127
    ... a little more of Uhura, please. lt.-uhura-e1429233453974.jpg

Ah yes, just what we need for underwater exploration. A huge freaking afro.
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    edited September 2015
    I hate this modern sarkeesian neo-feminism so bad! Nothing against female protagonists but please without that feminists equalizer war.
    Bloop wrote: »
    I hate this modern sarkeesian neo-feminism so bad! Nothing against female protagonists but please without that feminists equalizer war.

We keep trying to avoid the discussion but people keep bringing it up.
    I think the threads title "Boobs for my avatar would be great!" is an explosive political issue crying for discussions per se. I am for the closing of that thread! I hope others with sanity, too!
    I think the threads title "Boobs for my avatar would be great!" is an explosive political issue crying for discussions per se. I am for the closing of that thread! I hope others with sanity, too!

Please be sarcastic.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    That female model has some serious realestate between her hair line and eyeballs.
    That female model has some serious realestate between her hair line and eyeballs.

Hey don't diss the fivehead
  • AtriaaAtriaa Canada Join Date: 2015-09-02 Member: 207675Members
    I secretly wanted to be a female... I thought to myself; "Self! I'd like to be a lady Scoobadivexploreralienterrafarmer-er."
    And it seems those Devs already had me covered! I like the model! She looks spunky (also she must be SUPER smart, did you SEE that forehead!) love it!
    she looks really weird but then again this is the furture so the styles different and given it was a terr-former ship she is probably a engineer
    By the way, if we are talking about genderism, whats with transgenders? ;-) Do we need a transgender for subnautica,too? Would everybody be happy, then? ^^ *irony off*
    By the way, if we are talking about genderism, whats with transgenders? ;-) Do we need a transgender for subnautica,too? Would everybody be happy, then? ^^ *irony off*

Your exactly right to please the masses we need gays, lesbians, transgenders, blacks and Mexicans if not then were just A-holes

Yeah once we have both models you can say you're the opposite gender of whatever model you chose.

Your exactly right to please the masses we need gays, lesbians, transgenders, blacks and Mexicans if not then were just A-holes

And don't forget Asexuals (reproduction via mitosis), Cyborgs and Aliens! ;-) They all have rights!
  • SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members
    she scares me... but adding new player models would be cool heck even character customization would be even better being able to change the color of your suit would be amazing

Yeah she doesn't seem all that great. But really I would like to see more differences also in the suit. The suit seems to remain the same no matter what you put on.
    she scares me... but adding new player models would be cool heck even character customization would be even better being able to change the color of your suit would be amazing

Yeah she doesn't seem all that great. But really I would like to see more differences also in the suit. The suit seems to remain the same no matter what you put on.

Because it's a standard suit?
    They're not unique for each individual person.
    But we have to admit - The devs do a great work, and have already done it before! :-) the game graphics and lifeforms are absolutely awesome.
    to be honest im fine with the character and suit, changing the suit and player should be saved for muiltiplayer
    I mean you change the suit when you make and put on the radiation or stillsuit.
  • SanctusLupusSanctusLupus USA Join Date: 2015-08-30 Member: 207600Members

Because it's a standard suit?
    They're not unique for each individual person.

No when you place like the radiation suit on. The suit stays the same, no change. You would think it would change along with the suit that you place on. It would be cool if you could personalize it but I wouldn't expect that unless the game was completed or the modders tackle that.