I made a real aquarium

Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
My base is truly one of a kind.

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Nice! Hopefully at some point we can collect eggs to hatch in the areas we desire (outside of collecting fish manually).
  • destroyah87destroyah87 Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206913Members
    That is a seriously sweet base. Wonderful job.

I know where I'm going to put my next base outpost now. First time I've seen the floating islands biome.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I indeed have not made such a aquarium YET.
    I had to start all over on my bases, because of the world updates.

floating isle biome is rich in glass.
    I went crazy and build a base on the deepest floating isle. (I terraformed a pillar from it downwards for geothermal energy.)
    And then I build the base (rather uglyish) upward to the crush depth of a seamoth and stuck a moonpool onto it.:D

But yes, your idea is definately worth a try, nice 'aquarium' find.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    owkaaaay, so when you went outside the Jaws music started playing in my head for some odd reason... AND THEN YOU GET ATTACKED BY A SHARK!

I've just discovered new powers it seems :joy:

Awesome base btw!
  • Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    owkaaaay, so when you went outside the Jaws music started playing in my head for some odd reason... AND THEN YOU GET ATTACKED BY A SHARK!

I've just discovered new powers it seems :joy:

Awesome base btw!

Beginning of video: "There's lots of bone sharks, but they keep things interesting."

End of video: Attacked by a bone shark.

I didn't plan on that at all, but I think the unintended foreshadowing improved the video.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    This is really awesome, great work! :smiley:
  • Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

Likewise.
  • SkyninSkynin Russia Join Date: 2015-08-08 Member: 206915Members
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
  • BizQuickBizQuick Florida Join Date: 2015-04-20 Member: 203663Members
  • PajamaJamsPajamaJams Boulder, CO Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207121Members
    COOL! I love your idea of the aquariums, but one idea I also liked was the peeper fish tanks in the kitchen. Great idea to store those peepers!
  • TheHoodedTurtleTheHoodedTurtle Murica Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207151Members
  • KangaKanga Australia Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206860Members
  • RadavvadraRadavvadra South Africa Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207189Members
    edited August 2015
    Awesome base, the aquarium idea is epic.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    edited August 2015
    Thanks to @Silk_Sk his brilliant idea, I was inspired to try it myself also. :)

I made a album of pictures as shadowplay was being crappy. (it would record but I haven't truly looked into that yet.)

http://imgur.com/a/MxICM
    I reordered the images a bit.

Top one shows the water entry point. If any fish is ever smart enough to swim up, it can escape. I desided to let it be like that. (Original idea was to shorten the passage and put current generators in, but the sound of them annoyed me.)

Its followed by 3 observation decks and a hallway onto the rest. (screenshots start at the most right dome)

Then follows a ladder down to a deeper one where the deep dwelling fish 'should' live. But since both areas are connected, fish can if they so please intermingle. (and some did)

Everything has been excavated by hand using the Terraformer.
    All things which could not be placed into inventory have been carried and 'persuaded' to join my aquarium by use of the Propulsion Cannon.
    Many many MANY batteries have been used to accomplish this task. (and sadly its not done yet.) On a related note, the cannon eats way WAY to much battery and its extremely frustrating and hard to place anything bottom down.

>edit
    ps.. who can find the most rare object to place. Its not world rare, but its the hardest to place and the most rare compared to all the other stuff.

• Spartan117m15Spartan117m15 'Merica Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207122Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

So he said in the video that he used up almost all of the quartz on the island for the glass. Can you guys think about adding in a sieve or something so we can sift sand that we get with our hands (Or terraformer) and sift it to get small chunks of quartz then we combine like 4 chunks to get 1 quartz. There could be like a percentage to get quartz/lithium/titanium/silver/copper/gold chunks.
  • xdg2xxdg2x Italy Join Date: 2015-08-17 Member: 207231Members
    woah! awesome job, i think it would look better with the observatory, still great work :open_mouth: