We need a new kind of glass that only costs 1 quartz

Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
Right now, both glass corridors and windows cost 2 glass, or 6 quartz. That's insane because you can put 5 windows on a corridor (2 on the sides, 2 on the ends, 1 on top) and it costs 30 quartz, 5x as much as a corridor made entirely of glass. Even if the cost of windows was reduced to one glass, it would still cost more quartz to install windows than to make a glass corridor.

It's a huge problem that quartz gets very scarce very quickly because it's needed for just about everything. Hence, I am completely against increasing the cost of glass corridors. What needs to happen is the cost of windows needs to be even less than 1 glass.

What we need is a new kind of glass that only costs 1 quartz. Say, 1 quartz + 1 coral chunk (or one sand, if that becomes collectible again) = 1 small glass tile. 1 small glass tile is all that is needed to make one window. Therefore, it only costs 5 quartz to make 5 windows, and 6 quartz to make a glass corridor. Much more logical than it is now.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not saying the cost of glass should be reduced. 1 glass should still cost 3 quartz, and glass corridors should still cost 2 glass. I'm saying we need an alternative form of glass that only costs 1 quartz so that we can make windows without breaking down in tears at how wasteful we're being.

And yes, hatches would only cost 1 small glass tile as well. This would mean that it would cost the same quartz to put a window on the end of a corridor as a hatch. I have no problem with that at all. The hatch window is just thicker.

Comments

• 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Actually not insane at all. Adding on a Window reduces structural integrity of normal Corridors, but it can also be reinforced.
    Making it a glass corridor makes it unable to be reinforced, limits its attachment points to 3, and has lower overall integrity.
  • Silk_SkSilk_Sk United States Join Date: 2015-01-03 Member: 200602Members
    Actually not insane at all. Adding on a Window reduces structural integrity of normal Corridors, but it can also be reinforced.
    Making it a glass corridor makes it unable to be reinforced, limits its attachment points to 3, and has lower overall integrity.

I'm not talking about structural integrity. I'm talking about the sheer amount of glass area vs. the quartz cost. Did you miss where I said it takes 30 quartz to put 5 windows on a corridor? It only takes 6 to build a glass corridor. Take a house. Put some windows on it. Take another house, build it entirely out of glass. Which house has more glass? According to subnautica, the house with some windows has more glass. That's what's insane.
  • LightdevilLightdevil Austria Join Date: 2015-06-10 Member: 205381Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2015
    Silk_Sk wrote: »

I'm not talking about structural integrity. I'm talking about the sheer amount of glass area vs. the quartz cost. Did you miss where I said it takes 30 quartz to put 5 windows on a corridor? It only takes 6 to build a glass corridor. Take a house. Put some windows on it. Take another house, build it entirely out of glass. Which house has more glass? According to subnautica, the house with some windows has more glass. That's what's insane.

That is indeed a little bit weird but i dont think the way to fix it is making windows cost less than 1 glass.. And i dont think increasing the cost of glass corridors would be smart either. Im actually quite torn at how to fix this. EDIT: Maybe your idea is indeed the easiest and best fix. I wish you could just make 2 windows out of 1 glass and store the one unused one somewhere id like that more than needing to add a third type of glass..
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2015
    Agreed in premise to reducing the amount of materials needed to make glass, its way too time consuming right now where its hardly worth the trouble to collect all that quartz for a few windows. Structural integrity should be considered when making glass:

1 quartz + coral chunk = Single Glass Pane (highest base integrity cost)
    2 quartz + 2 coral chunk = Double Glass Pane (integrity cost is 50% less)
    3 quartz + 3 coral chunk = Enameled Glass Pane (integrity cost is 90% less)

The idea is that you're making a tradeoff between spending more resources on your windows, or spending more on reinforcement pieces. If you cheap out on your windows, you'll need to have more titanium to build more reinforcements in your base. You SHOULD be able to update your windows to higher levels over time at will as your base evolves.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    That's what i was mad about before the glass corridors came. Windows cost so damn much and there were no new biomes that throw quartz at you til you say stop.

I think regarding their size it would be fair if windows in corridors would cost 1 glass, windows in rooms and the moon pool 2 and a glass corridor 3. You still wouldn't be able to fill the whole damn corridor with windows but it's a compromise.
    As soon as the blueprint is placed the game has to register where the window will be build and ask for the right amount of glass.

I'm against adding new stuff to the game for the sake of windows.
  • SarnaathSarnaath SF, CA Join Date: 2015-07-31 Member: 206576Members
    I think there are just too many demands for quartz. Either the recipe for glass should be changed to remove quartz altogether, or the recipe for silicone should be changed.

I didn't own the game when sand was used to make glass, but that sounds to me like a great idea. Leave the quartz for silicone and change enameled glass to use 3 quartz + a stalker tooth. Perhaps implement enameled glass windows with a 0 effect on hull integrity. Quartz would still have uses, especially if the Cyclops continues to rely on power cells.

I think having different ways to make glass (or any resource) could be rather confusing. I'd prefer one recipe for glass/silicone instead of several.

You make a great point about the glass corridors though. It doesn't seem balanced that 2 glass can make an entire corridor but it takes 10 to put in 5 windows covering less area.
  • InsanityFactorInsanityFactor Finland Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206864Members
    I also think that sand for glass ingredient/material sounds like a great idea. Perhaps use 1 quartz (or something else) as a necessary ingredient if you want to balance the "limitless" amount of sand around?
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    Why does glass, of all things, have to be "balanced", though?

It already reduces structural integrity.
    And you're gonna have to have enough titanium to build enough corridors and rooms to cover them all with glass anyways.
    The only thing glass is used for outside of decoration is tanks and subs. tanks take up 4 slots in your inventory, and subs have other expenses meaning you're not gonna be building a fleet of Seamoths just because you have a lot of glass. Enameled glass requires stalker teeth, which is no more difficult to get than anything else you'd need at the Cyclops level. Only other thing Enameled Glass is used for is Observatories.
    Oh no, the player might build a bunch of Observatories, the game is broken!

Is it really necessary to make it expensive?

I say let us make it out of sand again.
    Who cares? It doesn't need to be so expensive.
    Windows are a luxury.
    I also think that sand for glass ingredient/material sounds like a great idea. Perhaps use 1 quartz (or something else) as a necessary ingredient if you want to balance the "limitless" amount of sand around?

This is exactly what I suggested in the OP.
  • InsanityFactorInsanityFactor Finland Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206864Members
    This is exactly what I suggested in the OP.

D'oh, I must've been too tired and went into captain redundant mode. My apologies.

• BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Quartz stopped being an issue as soon as I found the floating islands....each one has around 30 peices of quartz on it, and theres like 10 islands
    Benson wrote: »
    Quartz stopped being an issue as soon as I found the floating islands....each one has around 30 peices of quartz on it, and theres like 10 islands

Okay.. I just found these islands myself. Not sure if I had found them before this latest update or not, but whoah, tha's a LOT of quartz, and I think I only "harvested" 3-4 islands. That place should last me a lifetime :grin:

Okay.. I just found these islands myself. Not sure if I had found them before this latest update or not, but whoah, tha's a LOT of quartz, and I think I only "harvested" 3-4 islands. That place should last me a lifetime :grin:

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But I cleared out the islands, most of the grand reef, and the safe shallows to make my base, and there's still room for more windows. You think you have a lot of quartz until you start making glass, then you realize you have barely any quartz at all.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? But I cleared out the islands, most of the grand reef, and the safe shallows to make my base, and there's still room for more windows. You think you have a lot of quartz until you start making glass, then you realize you have barely any quartz at all.

Well, yeah.. There's always room for more windows. :grin: And I have to say I did run very dry on my quartz stock when building my small base/outpost thing, so I guess you've got a point there.

Well, yeah.. There's always room for more windows. :grin: And I have to say I did run very dry on my quartz stock when building my small base/outpost thing, so I guess you've got a point there.

Well, that's not to say it wasn't worth it.

But seriously, the quartz cost for windows needs to be seriously adjusted.
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2015
    Filling up your inventory with sand while trying to pick up salt/Quartz/Metal anything on the floor basically, is really annoying, and probably one of the reasons leading to it being removed originally.
  • sayerulzsayerulz oregon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203493Members
    The entire quartz supply/demand is a bit broken. You end up needing more o it than titanium, but it is a fair bit more rare.
  • Humboldt_SquidHumboldt_Squid Italy Join Date: 2015-07-13 Member: 206135Members
    Isn't glass made from sand? There's sand everywhere, why should we use quartz at all?
    Simply make sand collectable and 1 "sand" = 1 glass at the fabricator and that's it.
    Apologies if this has been discussed before.
    It used to be that we could make sand from glass.
    But it was changed, for some reason.
  • Duff_McDugginDuff_McDuggin Join Date: 2015-07-02 Member: 205964Members
    edited August 2015
    I actually have a base in the reef specifically for gathering quartz. it is powered by nuke and uranium found there. its an efficient setup. Exhausting that supply would take more time then I have to play I think. Though I do think the glass recipe could use some adjustment. I suggest that glass requirement stay the same, then have an advanced method using the sand. In same fashion as the power system, solars are cheap and easy but low powered. Make the nuke happen and life gets easier. Make an advanced machine happen via a new fragment or research and glass can be made faster and easier with sand.
    No matter how much quartz you collect, you will only have one third that quantity as glass. That in my book is a damned good motivation for striving for increased tech research. Make it a challenge to get the new machine. maybe make it part of the getting back into and restoring Aurora systems idea.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited August 2015
    FYI: Someone just checked in an update that drops glass down to 2 quartz from 3.
  • En9a9eEn9a9e USA Join Date: 2015-02-17 Member: 201408Members, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2015
    Racer1 wrote: »
    FYI: Someone just checked in an update that drops glass down to 2 quartz from 3.

^

Changeset #22127 by charlie: Softened some loot requirements to lessen difficulty of doing many basic tasks:
    - Scrap metal gives 4 instead of 3 titanium
    - Glass requires 2 quartz instead of 3
    - First aid kit requires 2 creepvine pieces instead of 4
    Sprinkled small amount of basic loot in more areas (salt, limestone) so players don't have to travel constantly for just a couple ingredients
    Added more fish to underwater islands so you can play Survival with a base there and it's worthwhile
    Added missing mercury ore sprite
    Filtered and disinfected water sustain you 33% more

^

Going into experimental build soon
  • ZourinZourin White Castle Join Date: 2015-02-27 Member: 201577Members
    edited August 2015
    It's out. Titanium was never a particularly large problem, although it helps with the 'waste 1 slot' scrap pickups. Getting 3 glass instead of 2 may actually go a LONG way considering how much quartz we needed for even a simple base that doesn't feel like the inside of a tuna can.
    Im damned happy about the update as a whole, but the quartz is great. now your glass yield is now half of your quartz load instead of a third. very nice. thanks devs.
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    I love it too!
    Also the buff for scrap metal and first aid kits...
  • Spartan117m15Spartan117m15 'Merica Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207122Members
    Right now, both glass corridors and windows cost 2 glass, or 6 quartz. That's insane because you can put 5 windows on a corridor (2 on the sides, 2 on the ends, 1 on top) and it costs 30 quartz, 5x as much as a corridor made entirely of glass. Even if the cost of windows was reduced to one glass, it would still cost more quartz to install windows than to make a glass corridor.

It's a huge problem that quartz gets very scarce very quickly because it's needed for just about everything. Hence, I am completely against increasing the cost of glass corridors. What needs to happen is the cost of windows needs to be even less than 1 glass.

What we need is a new kind of glass that only costs 1 quartz. Say, 1 quartz + 1 coral chunk (or one sand, if that becomes collectible again) = 1 small glass tile. 1 small glass tile is all that is needed to make one window. Therefore, it only costs 5 quartz to make 5 windows, and 6 quartz to make a glass corridor. Much more logical than it is now.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not saying the cost of glass should be reduced. 1 glass should still cost 3 quartz, and glass corridors should still cost 2 glass. I'm saying we need an alternative form of glass that only costs 1 quartz so that we can make windows without breaking down in tears at how wasteful we're being.

And yes, hatches would only cost 1 small glass tile as well. This would mean that it would cost the same quartz to put a window on the end of a corridor as a hatch. I have no problem with that at all. The hatch window is just thicker.

Yes, I also agree with how expensive windows are. That is one of the first things I noticed. If they don't lower the amount of quartz needed, at least add in like a sieve when we can dig up sand and use the sand in the sieve to get a certain percentage to get a mineral. You get 1-3 chunks per sand but this only happens a certain amount of time. Sometimes you get 2 sometimes you get only 1 chunk. 4 chunks in fab = 1 mineral.

Quartz = 30% probablility
    Titanium = 30%
    Copper = 25%
    Silver = 5%
    Nothing = 10%
    And others but limited to only the base (not diamond or uranium things like that that are actually rare IRL) This percentage can be modified.
  • Spartan117m15Spartan117m15 'Merica Join Date: 2015-08-14 Member: 207122Members
    En9a9e wrote: »
    Racer1 wrote: »

^

Changeset #22127 by charlie: Softened some loot requirements to lessen difficulty of doing many basic tasks:
    - Scrap metal gives 4 instead of 3 titanium
    - Glass requires 2 quartz instead of 3
    - First aid kit requires 2 creepvine pieces instead of 4
    Sprinkled small amount of basic loot in more areas (salt, limestone) so players don't have to travel constantly for just a couple ingredients
    Added more fish to underwater islands so you can play Survival with a base there and it's worthwhile
    Added missing mercury ore sprite
    Filtered and disinfected water sustain you 33% more

^

Going into experimental build soon

Can you give me a link to this post?
  • RaffleBaffleRaffleBaffle New York Join Date: 2015-08-19 Member: 207279Members
    I agree with OP completely. Already harvested a few floating islands and I've only built a small, small base with a single observatory. I must have more quartz! / make sand 1/2 of the glass crafting recipe would definitely be nice as well as realistic.
  • 7R1P0D7R1P0D Canada Join Date: 2015-08-15 Member: 207170Members
    I agree with OP completely. Already harvested a few floating islands and I've only built a small, small base with a single observatory. I must have more quartz! / make sand 1/2 of the glass crafting recipe would definitely be nice as well as realistic.
    dumping piles of gold, lithium and other rare items the second I see quartz just feels wrong

and even after I show up back to base with an inventory full of nothing but quartz, I get almost no glass out of it and even a small glass window costs the same as an entire glass corridor, and I need to use it for lockers as well